Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you buy your 991 today thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 07:51 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 779 Likes on 288 Posts

(4) Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires. Discount Tire matched Tire Rack price. 70-80% quieter than OEM Pirellis. Very pleased. Highly recommended.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:58 AM
OBX
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New 19" winter wheel set + tires. Looked everywhere for used but seemed to miss good ones by a day or two, so pulled trigger for Suncoast sale. Ugh, the pain, but old man winter is arriving and no way summer rubber works. Happy holidays to me and the C4S.

Last edited by OBX; 12-23-2017 at 07:58 AM. Reason: curect speling
Old 12-23-2017, 02:14 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
Give me my rennline Mount any day over that. Looks like an octopus arm.
I agree. Rennline mount is much better looking. What stopped me from going with them was permanent loss of cupholder, inability to adjust the phone position (esp. move closer / angle, etc - exactly what you call octopus arm) and inability to tackle it away if not needed on certain (majority) of days on my DD car.
I think they could've improved their design moving the magnet away from the cupholder and providing optional flex arm.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:27 PM
pgw85706
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"What did you buy for your 911 today?".......An oil filter kit for my first oil change. Newbie to Porsche and to this forum. Been BMW for about half my adult life and converted to a 2014 Carrera coupe last April. Been a thrill so far. This forum was helpful in planning this first oil change. Glad to be here.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:45 PM
whiteducktail
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

As Christmas gifts, I received new floor mats, gauge trim rings, and LED front marker lights.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:02 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I bought my GTS a ticket from Emden, Germany to Jacksonville, FL on the Miraculous Ace.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:03 AM
Feuerbach
Intermediate

Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, on my '14 Carrera 4. They are definitely quieter, but to be fair the P-zeros were WAY past their prime.

Bought the car last month with original shoes with 4 years and 10k on them, they were nearly bare in the rear, hard as rocks, and cracks running throughout.

I feel like I have a new car, this should honestly be the first thing anyone does on a used purchase... I'm embarrassed to say I stumbled upon this realization even with my extensive track experience knowing fully well how important tires are to a cars performance.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:48 AM
APristi
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were you able to purchase the N rated Pilot 4S

Originally Posted by Feuerbach
Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, on my '14 Carrera 4. They are definitely quieter, but to be fair the P-zeros were WAY past their prime.

Bought the car last month with original shoes with 4 years and 10k on them, they were nearly bare in the rear, hard as rocks, and cracks running throughout.

I feel like I have a new car, this should honestly be the first thing anyone does on a used purchase... I'm embarrassed to say I stumbled upon this realization even with my extensive track experience knowing fully well how important tires are to a cars performance.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:21 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Eagerly waiting on my delivery of my first Porsche! 2016 911 GTS.

Already ordered the Aero rear wing...last one in the Country.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:54 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 627 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Feuerbach

I have been thinking of doing the same thing for the same reason for my 991.1 C4S with nearly 14k miles. Tires have ample tread but I don't find the driving particularly interesting and I am thinking new shoes might help...a lot.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:08 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 610 Posts

Factory wheel spacer kit (to space the front wheels, as the 991.2 rears are already all the way out).

Wheel change service pegs to protect the PCCB rotors.

SPASM front lip.

Leather shift surround ordered, to cut glare from the existing chromey piece...
Old 01-17-2018, 08:10 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
This:
You know, this makes one wonder about what a dedicated phone mount on the hideaway cupholder could look like. Hmm...
Old 01-17-2018, 11:51 PM
Feuerbach
Intermediate

Originally Posted by APristi
Were you able to purchase the N rated Pilot 4S
No, and honestly if I could, I wouldn't have. I haven't found anything to suggest there is any difference as long as the load requirements are met to OEM.

Tire manufacturing is a bit of a black art, pardon the pun, and while I do believe that Porsche does rigorous testing and verification of QC methods on their OEM tire manufacturers to garner the 'N' rating. I do not, at this time, believe there are significant, or possibly any, differences between a tire like the 4s and a 4s "Nx" rating. There very well may be, and I'll eat my socks one day, but even assuming there is a significant difference...

Any tire on with the proper load/speed rating is fine on your car to the same OEM spec... Porsche 911 is a wonderful car, unique, and well engineered but ultimately its a rim loaded with rubber with the same forces occurring on it. 'N' rated tires that don't differ from their non-'N' rated cousins in load and speed make me dubious. If the rear weight was a significant issue than why wouldn't the 'N' rating also garner some unique load rating?

This is easily solved, someone buy both and cut the carcass in half for a full analysis!

If someone wants to move this reply to a new thread for more discussion I'm game, flame suit on.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:40 AM
paxton
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Factory wheel spacer kit (to space the front wheels, as the 991.2 rears are already all the way out).

Wheel change service pegs to protect the PCCB rotors.

SPASM front lip.

Leather shift surround ordered, to cut glare from the existing chromey piece...
Interested in details about the spacers you chose, I would like to do the same on my base .2.

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2018, 12:48 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paxton
Interested in details about the spacers you chose, I would like to do the same on my base .2.

Thanks!
I bought this set, as I liked sticking with factory bolts and rings—and saw the wheel locks as a bonus.
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991SPACER.html

I've used Suncoast from time to time in the past and have had good experiences, but I decided to use Sonnen Porsche this time. Greg runs an excellent parts department and his pricing is great—and there's something to be said for actually going to a parts counter, old school.

Quick Reply: What did you buy your 991 today thread