Considering 991 in 2016 any advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 11:42 AM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Considering 991 in 2016 any advice

Hello all,
I have a 997.1 that I will likely be selling in the next 6-8 months. Initially I was set on getting a 997.2 C2S but after reading a lot about the 991.1 I think this will be my choice either in a C2S or C4S. I like the fact that it is a little bigger and quieter according to reviees I know that some criticize the electric steering but I think I can live with that. One big decision point for me will be PDK vs. Manual. I am leaning toward manual since that is what I am used to. Other options I would like would be
1. Sport Exhaust
2.Full Leather
Those are the only 2 options I think I would appreciate. Any other thoughts on options? I know that PDK vs Manual is a big discussion. Can someone give me the thumbnail summary on the difference? Is PDK reliable? I hear that it is $17,000 to replace. ( There is a generous forum member who offered to let me drive his 991 with PDK. I will do that this Spring)

Thanks Very Much. This site is awesome!

Constantine

Great forum here. The collective knowledge is staggering.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:50 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

You'll get a lot of opinions on different options. There are some that think high-end stereos and leather appointments have no place in a performance car, and others that can't understand paying $150k for a car and not having "basic" luxury features (I fall into the later camp). But that's all your personal perspective. Hear what others have to say, and then make your own decision.

MT vs PDK is a similar personal preference, but I don't think that reliability should be an issue in your decision. Both transmissions have their plusses and minuses, and both are well tested in the market and completely reliable.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:05 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Constantine, get what you love. One of the big questions is how long do you plan on keeping the car for? Are you looking for a DD or a keeper (or both)? This will help to identify what options are of the greatest appeal based on your specific objectives.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:10 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hinckley
You'll get a lot of opinions on different options. There are some that think high-end stereos and leather appointments have no place in a performance car, and others that can't understand paying $150k for a car and not having "basic" luxury features (I fall into the later camp). But that's all your personal perspective. Hear what others have to say, and then make your own decision.

MT vs PDK is a similar personal preference, but I don't think that reliability should be an issue in your decision. Both transmissions have their plusses and minuses, and both are well tested in the market and completely reliable.
Awesome Hinckley. I appreciate the response. My 997 has full leather and a bunch of nice options which I like. They may not make the car handle better but they make the smile on my face bigger.
This 991 will be a daily driver here in the Northeast. I plan on using it in the winter too on reasonably dry days. I will get some snows mounted on rims.
I don't want to put my car away for 4-5 months of the year anymore. I am not getting any younger and you only go around once so you better enjoy it.

Thanks again.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:13 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
Constantine, get what you love. One of the big questions is how long do you plan on keeping the car for? Are you looking for a DD or a keeper (or both)? This will help to identify what options are of the greatest appeal based on your specific objectives.
It will be a daily driver for comfort. I will not track the car. I plan on keeping this one for 5-7 years until kids college is paid off. Maybe longer. I will be in no rush to sell this one if I find the right car and options.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:29 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbmd
Awesome Hinckley. I appreciate the response. My 997 has full leather and a bunch of nice options which I like. They may not make the car handle better but they make the smile on my face bigger.
This 991 will be a daily driver here in the Northeast. I plan on using it in the winter too on reasonably dry days. I will get some snows mounted on rims.
I don't want to put my car away for 4-5 months of the year anymore. I am not getting any younger and you only go around once so you better enjoy it.

Thanks again.
I'm more risk adverse than you since I would never drive a Porsche in the snow. That's not to say that a Porsche with winter tires won't handle well in the snow; it's the other drivers who have 70K miles on their all season tires that frighten me. If I were driving my car as a DD in New Hampshire , I'd try to find a 991 AWD. An AWD 991 with snow tires should get you through most snow storms.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:38 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fast1
I'm more risk adverse than you since I would never drive a Porsche in the snow. That's not to say that a Porsche with winter tires won't handle well in the snow; it's the other drivers who have 70K miles on their all season tires that frighten me. If I were driving my car as a DD in New Hampshire , I'd try to find a 991 AWD. An AWD 991 with snow tires should get you through most snow storms.
Yeah, I was of the same mind. This winter has not been bad here in NH. There have been many days when I could have driven the car. So it got me to thinking of using it all year round. Many Rennlisters do this without a problem. I would avoid driving it in the teeth of the storm however. The roads are covered with snow only a few percent of the time in the winter. They are very good around here at keeping the roads clear. Sand and salt are another story however.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:45 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I daily drove my '98 C4S Aero for 18 straight months in the Northeast. Car was fine but I'd have substituted good winter tires if I had kept it longer. AWD is the way to go and grippy snow tires are an added plus.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:49 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
I daily drove my '98 C4S Aero for 18 straight months in the Northeast. Car was fine but I'd have substituted good winter tires if I had kept it longer. AWD is the way to go and grippy snow tires are an added plus.
That makes sense. So looks like I should look for a C4S then. I had a 964 C4 that was okay to drive. It stuck to the corners like glue. I then got a 997 C2 and liked the way it handled in the corners. A little lighter and more nimble. I guess I should drive a C4 and see how they feel these days. Maybe more like a C2 when the AWD is not engaged.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:11 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

I made the manual-to-PDK jump when I ordered my car a year ago next week. 35 years of owning 3-pedal manuals. Fortunately, I still have something else with a 6M in it so I can scratch the itch if my left leg gets restless. But I've not regretted the PDK at all, EXCEPT for the first 2 weeks when I sort of had a "What have you DONE?" moment and started second-guessing.

For me, the key to enjoying the PDK is to treat it exactly like a manual. I reverse out of my garage and immediately hit the Sport or Sport+ button and slide the shifter over to manual. That keeps me engaged, keeps me interested, and most importantly, allows ME to decide what rpms I'd like my motor at every second of the drive. It's what we all do with manuals, right? We have our hand on the **** (not THAT ****! Shame on you!) and while the brain is thinking about something else entirely, the ear is hearing the engine note, scanning the road for changes in grade or slowing traffic ahead or anything else that would prompt a downshift or upshift. Then the hand just moves the lever automatically into the correct gear, with the feet playing their part.

The reason that's important to me is that I don't care about my around town gas mileage; I care about being in the gear that gives me the best sound out of the motor and gives me the most instant throttle response when I give the car a little gas. Not because I'm always in a hurry, it's just a sports car thing for me. I like instant response. Being in 3rd at 2800 rpm gives that; but the computer will want me in 5th at 2100. Sure it shifts fast in auto if it senses you need it. But fast and instant aren't yet the same thing. It's all a matter of feel for me.

So PDK AUTO mode handles two situations well: if you're on the interstate or some steady-speed highway it's fine to just shift into 7th and numb out. (I still drive in manual under those circumstances, but that's just stubborness on my part.) The second situation is full-on street or track driving where you want to concentrate on steering and braking inputs and let the trans shift as it wishes. Sport+ mode with Auto will run the car perfectly to redline and WILL NOT shift before redline. So since for spirited street or track driving that's what you want, it works really well and avoids bumping the revlimiter like you'll do in Manual mode.

But of course, any other time Sport+ is not useable with auto because you'll be in 2nd gear at 6800rpm and it won't shift up a couple gears.

So the problem with AUTO, for a manual lover, is that you're either in a mode that wants to get you into fuel-sipper territory as soon as possible, OR you're in a mode that won't shift till you've redlined. The situation I described above where you just want to be in a lower gear and keep your revs up a little -- Auto won't do that for you. So that's why I stay in manual.

The other thing I might point you to option wise -- stay away from PSP (Porsche Steering Plus) if given the option. It's not a big thing at all, but if you want to stay as hydraulic-feeling as you can, PSP will rob you of that at low speeds (under 30, iirc.) I like the heavy tug of a sportscar's lower boost (vs a luxury car, or just a big sedan or SUV's large amount of steering boost at low speed). Something about it feels a little like that delicious race-car-in-the-pits steering tug, and I like that. PSP bleeds it out and makes the steering one-finger light at slow pace.

In fact, I ordered the car with PSP on advice of my SA, then was disappointed enough to research it and find that it's a software setting and can be undone for one-hour's labor, which I had done. Big improvement for me in low-speed enjoyment.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:12 PM
Maketrax
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

I've always been a diehard M trans guy. When I found my 991 the only hesitation I had with it was the PDK. I went back and forth on it and, in the end, decided to purchase it. I couldn't be happier with the car and the PDK. I frequently end up in traffic and, the constant footwork was not my favorite thing. When out playing I use M mode. I'm new to the car, and to Porsche, so I can't comment on reliability or ma.intenance costs.

There were very few "deal breaker" options when I was looking for a pre-owned S. You'll get some options you might not have chosen (Burmester for me), and there will be a few you'll sacrifice (Ventilated seats for me.) It sounds like most all of the options can be added ($-$$$). I personally couldn't imagine bothering with a car that didn't have full leather but thats just me.

In the end, there were quite a few very well optioned cars that fit the bill for me. I was patient and eventually found a car that was very well suited for me.

Have fun with your search!

Last edited by Maketrax; 02-08-2016 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Can't spell
Old 02-08-2016, 01:12 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

That makes sense. So looks like I should look for a C4S then. I had a 964 C4 that was okay to drive. It stuck to the corners like glue. I then got a 997 C2 and liked the way it handled in the corners. A little lighter and more nimble. I guess I should drive a C4 and see how they feel these days. Maybe more like a C2 when the AWD is not engaged.
Definitely test drive the C2 and C4, the 991 is a completely different drive than your 997. You may find that the C4 is a bit too tame for your liking, maybe not.

If the roads are only covered a few percent of the winter days (3-4 days), then the C4 is not a necessity especially if you have access to another car for those few days. I don't drive in the snow but many here say its the height of the snow that causes the problems not the drive train.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:13 PM
romansroad
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For my DD, the multi adjustable seats are super important. There are , I think, a couple of variations on this, but I'm in the car in all weather, all year round and love the seats. That is the only thing my old 993 lacked.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:21 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 235 Likes on 134 Posts

Hello all,
I have a 997.1 that I will likely be selling in the next 6-8 months. Initially I was set on getting a 997.2 C2S but after reading a lot about the 991.1 I think this will be my choice either in a C2S or C4S. I like the fact that it is a little bigger and quieter according to reviees I know that some criticize the electric steering but I think I can live with that. One big decision point for me will be PDK vs. Manual. I am leaning toward manual since that is what I am used to. Other options I would like would be
1. Sport Exhaust
2.Full Leather
Those are the only 2 options I think I would appreciate. Any other thoughts on options? I know that PDK vs Manual is a big discussion. Can someone give me the thumbnail summary on the difference? Is PDK reliable? I hear that it is $17,000 to replace. ( There is a generous forum member who offered to let me drive his 991 with PDK. I will do that this Spring)

Thanks Very Much. This site is awesome!

Constantine

Great forum here. The collective knowledge is staggering.
Just a couple of comments. You mentioned you wanted something a little bigger and quieter tells me the 991 will be perfect for you. The electric steering is a non issue for me. I think you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. As far as PDK vs Manual, I lean to manual. Porsche makes a great manual transmission. Enjoy it while it is still around.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:23 PM
Happy911S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like most options are not too important to you, however, because you will be buying a used car some options may be on a car and other not. I have found that the options on the car do not impact the sales price much. So a very high spec car is not too much different than one with little options.

I recently purchased a car with an MSRP over $140K and the price was less than a lot of other cars with much less options. It is my understanding that is why on a lease they limit what can be included in the lease.

Good luck with the search and follow STG's sticky to see cars that people spot that are a good deal.

Quick Reply: Considering 991 in 2016 any advice