Clear Bras

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 02:01 PM
GTSBoneDoc
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Clear Bras

Hello forum,

New member here, just picked up a 2015 GTS (PDK), and I am considering a full car clear bra. What are your thoughts in general on having on placed?

My thoughts were for the peace of mind, not having to worry about scratches from people brushing on the car or getting keyed.

Thanks for the input.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:10 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Must do for me - seems like most guys do minimum bumper, fenders, hood, mirrors. I did that plus headlights plus some rear fender coverage. Currently thinking about doing my rockers (side skirts are not painted). Pics of my install here if youre curious. I did not consider doing the full car since I personally did not think it would be worth the total cost.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9142...plus-pics.html
Old 02-05-2016, 02:10 PM
arlan in arizona
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

deleted

Last edited by arlan in arizona; 02-05-2016 at 02:24 PM. Reason: should not express my thoughts on some things
Old 02-05-2016, 02:37 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 401 Posts

The 911 was the 1st car I had clear bra installed and I'm glad I did.

I'm more of a long distance cruiser and back road traveler and the car has taken some pretty good knocks to the front from road debris.

After 43,000 miles only the front has been impacted as well as the areas in front of the rear wheels which on my C4S was already protected.

I only had the entire front clip, and mirrors done which I would consider that to be the minimum for our cars.

Depending on your driving circumstances and how long you plan to keep it , having the entire car done might be a little over kill.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:39 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts

I absolutely love the clear bra and won't have a car without one now.
It is great to be able to go for a drive and not stress out about rocks/gravel trashing the front end.

A few things to keep in mind:

- The film matters a lot! I personally love XPEL Ultimate, as it has a beautiful look and self-healing properties.
- The installer matters even more! Find an installer recommended by other high-end car enthusiasts in your area. If you're in DFW, I have your guy.
- Consider going full hood/front fenders at minimum. You will be glad you don't have the half-hood "bra line" which collects wax and crud.

I did the whole front up to the first body seam. Sometimes I wish I had done the whole car simply because I love the way the paint looks under the film, it's like having a really deep polish on there. But that gets pricey fast.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:39 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

In addition to paint protection film (PPF) think about getting nano coating over the entire car. Both PPF and unprotected areas. Search the threads but the benefits of both are great.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:40 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
In addition to paint protection film (PPF) think about getting nano coating over the entire car. Both PPF and unprotected areas. Search the threads but the benefits of both are great.
+1 Opti Pro Plus here
Old 02-05-2016, 02:45 PM
dds007
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

There's also the avery dennison nano fusion option.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:10 PM
JoshuaKM1
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Full car is crazy expensive but if money is no object ... have at it.

For most ballers on a budget... XPEL or Suntek on the partial hood (or full hood), fenders, mirrors, etc is plenty of coverage and then apply CQuartz or Opticoat to the car. XPEL does amazing marketing but the experts will tell you that Suntek is just as good.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:14 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaKM1

For most ballers on a budget... XPEL or Suntek on the partial hood (or full hood), fenders, mirrors, etc is plenty of coverage and then apply CQuartz or Opticoat to the car. XPEL does amazing marketing but the experts will tell you that Suntek is just as good.
Which begs the question of CQ vs Opti. Which is better? (If a thread exists already please point us in the right direction.)
Old 02-05-2016, 05:43 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
Which begs the question of CQ vs Opti. Which is better? (If a thread exists already please point us in the right direction.)
I don't know the difference, only did Opti Pro Plus because I had Opti Pro on my M5 and loved the shine and beading. Stick with what works I guess, for me.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:44 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Originally Posted by JoshuaKM1

I saw a couple cars at dealer with partial hood, no offense to anyone, but I think it looks terrible. I would definitely go for full hood for a bit more $$.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:48 PM
JoshuaKM1
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Both coatings are great - it depends on what your expert installer prefers... I am biased because I have a lot of experience with CQuartz Finest which is awesome (and preferred by my installer) but Opticoat Pro is great too ... can't go wrong ... I would go with the better deal.

With respect to wrapping the whole car... I could understand if this were a 918 Spyder or a collector's car but otherwise I really think a full car wrap is overkill.

Also ... partial hood does not look "terrible." The first dude who bought my car installed a partial hood XPEL clear bra and it looks fantastic. You can only see it if you are right next to the car ... and even then it doesn't look "terrible." My car looks bad-a$$.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:07 PM
mwike
Track Day

I just bought my first new Porsche, base model. I had an air cooled 911 just before the spike - perfect timing!

I know a lot of folks talk about wrapping the car as being vital. Before I purchased the new 991, I looked a good bit for 997.2's and really didn't see any with a wrap. Is the wrapping mainly a Rennlist thing or just on the newer cars? I've never had such an expensive car so I don't want to miss out on something that should be done, but at the same time I personally like the look better w/out a wrap - at least from the wrap jobs I've seen on other cars.

If I were going to track it (maybe that's what most folks her do), I'd think more about a wrap just from a financial perspective.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:49 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

I had my Z06 wrapped with Suntek. It looked fine and performed well but I decided to leave my 911 alone mainly because it is a lease this time. I also prefer C Quartz over Opti Coat, C Quartz Finest shed water better and was easier to keep the car clean. I have Ceramic Pro on my 911 now and will do C Quartz Finest on my next one.
Eric

Quick Reply: Clear Bras