Sponsored by:

Clear Bras

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 08:36 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Wrap it up!

I'd never wrapped a car before either and couldn't be happier. Nice deep shine and easy to clean. $1200 for 3M on the full front clip and mirrors. If I had perfect knowledge I would have wrapped the rockers too. And before it left the dealer....

It's one of those transformative innovations that leaves you wishing you did it sooner, and wondering how you ever did without. Considering how much a repaint costs it may end up being a good investment, if you buy your car and keep it for a long time.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:39 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I had a partial clear bra on my car (hood, bumper, partial F fenders and headlights) which looked great! However I also worried about the areas not covered. I recently had Xpel installed to cover entire front fender and full hood. I also had the mirrors covered, including a larger stone guard on the rear quarter panels and under side behind the rear wheels.

A good product and a detailed installer is a must!
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2016, 09:01 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

IMO a clear bra is a must for anyone who wants to keep their car looking great and drives it regularly. I've used and like Ventureshield and 3M Pro, the latter is on all of my cars now. I think the Xpel product is good too. More importantly, making sure you've got a good installer who wrap edges and doesn't put any seams in is key.

On my C2S i've got the full hood, front bumper, full fenders, front part of the roof (up to the sunroof) and the rear impact areas covered.

I've actually had to replace the hood clear bra once when some road debris hit it (it was a pretty big rusty thing whatever it was). It made a 3 inch gash in the hood, but the paint was safe and sound.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:27 AM
GTSBoneDoc
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the input. The bra will the the Xcel product.

I think I am going to go for it.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:37 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

PM me and we can chat if you want more information.

Things to contemplate:

1. DO NOT get this done at the dealership - they outsource to the lowest bidder and don't do 2. 3. 5. 6.
2. Make sure the installer does clay bar, paint correction, seal etc. FIRST
3. Needs a wax sealant over top
4. Porsche's have VERY soft paint
5. Any swirls or paint imperfections will be sealed in as long as you have it if you don't fix it first
6. Get at least the WHOLE front end done. The whole hood is marginally more money but totally worth it - you will regret not doing this.
7. Get as much of the car done as you can afford. For me I also got the whole rear fender treatment in addition to the entire front end. The thought of having 2 un matching films on the car is not something I could live with.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:38 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by n8kruger
I'd never wrapped a car before either and couldn't be happier. Nice deep shine and easy to clean. $1200 for 3M on the full front clip and mirrors. If I had perfect knowledge I would have wrapped the rockers too. And before it left the dealer....

It's one of those transformative innovations that leaves you wishing you did it sooner, and wondering how you ever did without. Considering how much a repaint costs it may end up being a good investment, if you buy your car and keep it for a long time.
If you're looking at the investment perspective it is a no brainer. Original Paint always > respray.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:54 AM
blschaefer1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shizzle
IMO a clear bra is a must for anyone who wants to keep their car looking great and drives it regularly. I've used and like Ventureshield and 3M Pro, the latter is on all of my cars now.
I did a full front with the 3M Pro Series too. VERY pleased. I took a rock from a cement truck to the nose recently and expected the worst. There was literally zero damage. I could see where the rock hit and deflected off, and after a couple of hours in the sun the film self healed. Amazing.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:05 PM
holgum
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I did Xpel full front, followed by OptiCoat Pro Plus.
Looks so good I wish I had done Xpel on the entire car.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:28 AM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTSBoneDoc
Hello forum,

New member here, just picked up a 2015 GTS (PDK), and I am considering a full car clear bra. What are your thoughts in general on having on placed?

My thoughts were for the peace of mind, not having to worry about scratches from people brushing on the car or getting keyed.

Thanks for the input.
I have a 2016 GTS in guards red. I decided I am keeping this car so I had the whole car done. Turned out beautiful. I live in Omaha, Ne. And our roads have quite a bit of gravel from winters etc. I love the protection. From bird crap as well. Might etch the clear if left on too long but won't get to the paint.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:52 PM
Fahad@Robust
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
Which begs the question of CQ vs Opti. Which is better? (If a thread exists already please point us in the right direction.)
They are both great coatings to say the least! The difference between the two (based on several members of the detailing community) is that CQ generally has a bit more gloss, making it good for darker cars if you plan to have the car polished and coating re-applied every 3+ years. Opti-Coat Pro/Plus has 7+ years of durability and is great for soft metallic and lighter colors. Of course, you can apply either of the coating on either color cars. It boils down to preferences and the installer you choose for your coating. I hope I answered the questions.

As far as the clear bra is concerned, if you can afford it, the entire car covered will offer you the best protection available in car care industry. Once again, every installer is different and I would suggest doing research here as well. A mix between a coating and clear bra, as a few people above me have mentioned, is also a great option which gives great aesthetics and good protection without breaking the bank.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:06 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahad@Robust
They are both great coatings to say the least! The difference between the two (based on several members of the detailing community) is that CQ generally has a bit more gloss, making it good for darker cars if you plan to have the car polished and coating re-applied every 3+ years. Opti-Coat Pro/Plus has 7+ years of durability and is great for soft metallic and lighter colors. Of course, you can apply either of the coating on either color cars. It boils down to preferences and the installer you choose for your coating. I hope I answered the questions.
Great info. Thank you Which camp do you put Sapphire Blue into?

Quick Reply: Clear Bras