Sponsored by:

X51 install decision

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 01:35 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I have an NASA and SCCA license and also instruct at the BMW performance school in Greenville, SC. You and I can extract the additional ability of the car but most people won't ever push a base carrera to the point where they really need more. My soapbox for people learning to drive and those that aren't pursuing a license or competition, is to get the cheapest car you can and to focus on handling, lines and braking first - HP later. You, my friend; are likely the acception.
I'm no exception to that rule -- I spent 5 years learning to track drive on a 1994 Miata with nothing but suspension and tire mods and an exhaust, then turbo'd it and learned some more for 3 years, before moving to Porsches!

Need and want are very different and to your point.... those that have to have the X51 will pay pretty much anything for it.
Ain't that the truth! I've done it with a Turbo with X50 package, and now a GTS with X51 package. Even my 2004 Boxster SE had 6 more OEM hp than an S, and I was a sucker for that!

I love Road Atlanta - PM me next time you go and I'll try to head down.
Great! Would love to. Haven't tracked the GTS -- I need for it to depreciate a little more AND to make sure I'm in it for the long haul. I think I am, but if I change my mind in a few months I want it to be on the original tires and able to say "Never tracked."

I'd say by next fall I should know.

In the meantime, maybe we could meet up sometime when things warm up a bit and enjoy the roads around your neck of the woods.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:20 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm trying to get down there to go to the Porsche driving experience to get some training on spirited driving in someone else's rear engine car as I've never tracked a rear engine Porsche. I also want to visit the new Davidoff lounge there!

I'm always up for a drive in Asheville too...
Old 02-07-2016, 02:30 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Love some of the twisties around Valle Crucis (sp?) and Banner Elk. Don't get up that far most of the time, but would love an excuse!

I'm part of an informal group out of ATL called P-Car Touring. We do "spirited drives" about every 6 weeks -- well planned but most of the members are just having a good drive, not really attacking the twisties. We're going to PCNA in early April. But I haven't been yet. I agree with the "someone else's car" bit, but remember, you break it you buy it. I think it's unlimited liability on you, or you can mitigate that a good bit by buying a policy from them (but there's still a 4-figure deductible.)

Let me know if you get a firm date for coming down to do PDE -- if I'm around town I'll do it that same time. Always more fun with a friend!
Old 02-07-2016, 03:26 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by stratocaster69
Woodhouse Porsche in Omaha has a GTS cab in Lava orange Rob, that they have been sitting in for a while. Not a 4 but very cool! I bet they would deal on it well. Didn't know if that might interest you.. They have pics on their site. Here is the link!

https://omaha.porschedealer.com/new/...74683/info.php
Very unique GTS (GT3 wanna be)! Thx but I'm too old for that much attention. I appreciate your input though. I just got back from a very spirited drive & realize my car lacks nothing! Thanks again to all.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:52 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
Very unique GTS (GT3 wanna be)! Thx but I'm too old for that much attention. I appreciate your input though. I just got back from a very spirited drive & realize my car lacks nothing! Thanks again to all.
Lol No problem.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:16 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51

OT Rob - if you ever part with those wheels - please let me know
Old 02-07-2016, 09:23 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
OT Rob - if you ever part with those wheels - please let me know
Cold dead hands LOL! I love them too!

Quick Reply: X51 install decision