Sponsored by:

First Impression 991-2 Cab S

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 08:56 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,329 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by coreyco
Those pictures proved a true revelation. I had no idea that Porsche decided to put the steering on the right side of the cockpit in the .2. As far as I'm concerned, even considering the improved low end torque, that change is a deal killer for me.
Wow I really hope you are kidding. 😭
Old 02-02-2016, 11:03 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Those pictures proved a true revelation. I had no idea that Porsche decided to put the steering on the right side of the cockpit in the .2. As far as I'm concerned, even considering the improved low end torque, that change is a deal killer for me.
No fears, they're apparently going to continue selling left-side (or 'lefties', as they're calling it in the configurator) vehicles as well, but having the righties as an option in case you predominantly track on clockwise circuits is pretty great.

It can be confusing though when asked if you're a 'lefty' or 'righty' at the dealership - just make sure to remember they're asking about steering wheel side and not your own handedness.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:40 PM
Ian M
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts
Default First Impression 991-2 Cab S

Still in the 991.2, so have had more driving time.
Having push the car a bit further now, I would reiterate that the sound is different but not necessarily worse, I have got used to it and it isn't spoiling the driving experience at all.

As previously stated the short shifting, is very noticeable, however the upshot of this is the speed builds very quickly, without bringing attention to yourself. (Standard and sports mode)

I've always felt that the sport plus mode on my GTS is somewhat unusable on public roads, it holding the gears so long. However, the short shifting on the gen. 2 means that sport plus mode can be used to great effect, on a nice winding road it's very usable, the gear box changing up on the straights and dropping down nicely under braking ready to pounce out of the bends. I know some won't like this but I did.

I also liked the mode switch on the steering wheel. It's very convenient and certainly encourages more frequent mode changes as road conditions change, without taking your eyes off the road. The power button, simply drops the box so the engine rev hits 4000ish rpm, might be handy but a swift heavy push on the gas has the same effect. I guess with the button you can push it in anticipation of forthcoming overtaking opportunity, so you're in the right gear and ready to go. You just push the button again to cancel it.

Two final points, the standing start acceleration with and with out launch control feels faster, I haven't done that in my car recently so I will as soon as I get it back ( properly warmed up of course) for a proper comparison. I have noticed a slight lag, perhaps 'lag' is overstating things but you can notice a very very brief neutral acceleration before the rush comes on. Almost imperceivable and not an issue for me thus far.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:01 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts

Great info and write-ups Ian. As I imagined, the 911 just keeps getting better! Wait until the 991.2 GTS arrives! Thank you.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by mrstep
No fears, they're apparently going to continue selling left-side (or 'lefties', as they're calling it in the configurator) vehicles as well, but having the righties as an option in case you predominantly track on clockwise circuits is pretty great.

It can be confusing though when asked if you're a 'lefty' or 'righty' at the dealership - just make sure to remember they're asking about steering wheel side and not your own handedness.
or what side you "dress" on...
Old 02-04-2016, 08:20 PM
Davidoconn
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just as concerned. I just ordered a 991.2 and now have second thoughts. From what I can tell they also put the turn signal on the left. This is going to take quite a bit of practice.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:29 AM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Yeah I read somewhere that there was a small but vocal group of engineers who insisted that the steering wheel be on the right hand side of the 991.2 cars. Something about it being more efficacious with the new turbo engine and all.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:06 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts

Well, I certainly learned a new turn of phrase from Brother MagicRat: "revved the ovaries off it...." I have therefore concluded that MagicRat's GTS is of the female persuasion, which naturally leads to the question: Does MrsRat know about this relationship? MotherRat has probably sensed this already, but will she spill the beans?
Old 02-05-2016, 01:19 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by kwikit356
Well, I certainly learned a new turn of phrase from Brother MagicRat: "revved the ovaries off it...." I have therefore concluded that MagicRat's GTS is of the female persuasion, which naturally leads to the question: Does MrsRat know about this relationship? MotherRat has probably sensed this already, but will she spill the beans?
The standard hips are clearly female, let alone the 4/GTS.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:16 PM
Ian M
Instructor

Gave the 991.2 back today and jumped back in my GTS, final comments:-
Yes the PSE on the GTS sounds lounder.
As you would expect the power from the GTS is further up the rev range so whilst both cars are very quick, I feel you have to wring the GTS’s neck a little, to match the power of the new engine.
I liked the Gen.2 engine a lot. In normal everyday driving the power is simply more accessible, more usable. Quick blasts of speed are a joy, they happen without drama, almost stealth like. Perhaps some won’t like this.
Pulling out quickly on to a curved section of road can seem to unsettle the car, this being caused, I think, by the turbos coming on line and adding power a little brutishly, it didn’t cause a problem, more just a sense of slight imbalance occurring.
The Bose in the Gen 2. was good but the Bermiester in the GTS is better. I know it’s an expensive option and whether the improvement is worth the extra cash is simply a personal judgement call.
The functionality of the new pcm is a great improvement, although I’m not convinced the viewable screen is bigger, it just looks bigger because they have taken the glass to the edges of the dash and I’m not sure the appearance is an improvement over the old.
Never having ever used adaptive cruise control, I think I would now have this on any new car, it works well and at motorway speeds it appears to keep the car a safe ‘stone chip’ distance away from the vehicle in front.
All in all I think, unsurprisingly, the new car/engine will win favour with lots of people and will prove a winner. Finally and perhaps controversial , (please don’t shoot me for saying), but I am left feeling that I almost hope they use an improved version of this engine in any new GTS. Really sorry NA guys but remember I was firmly a NA guy until I tried the 'dark side' 😀
Old 02-05-2016, 02:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Ian M
Gave the 991.2 back today and jumped back in my GTS, final comments:-
Yes the PSE on the GTS sounds lounder.
As you would expect the power from the GTS is further up the rev range so whilst both cars are very quick, I feel you have to wring the GTS’s neck a little, to match the power of the new engine.
I liked the Gen.2 engine a lot. In normal everyday driving the power is simply more accessible, more usable. Quick blasts of speed are a joy, they happen without drama, almost stealth like. Perhaps some won’t like this.
Pulling out quickly on to a curved section of road can seem to unsettle the car, this being caused, I think, by the turbos coming on line and adding power a little brutishly, it didn’t cause a problem, more just a sense of slight imbalance occurring.
The Bose in the Gen 2. was good but the Bermiester in the GTS is better. I know it’s an expensive option and whether the improvement is worth the extra cash is simply a personal judgement call.
The functionality of the new pcm is a great improvement, although I’m not convinced the viewable screen is bigger, it just looks bigger because they have taken the glass to the edges of the dash and I’m not sure the appearance is an improvement over the old.
Never having ever used adaptive cruise control, I think I would now have this on any new car, it works well and at motorway speeds it appears to keep the car a safe ‘stone chip’ distance away from the vehicle in front.
All in all I think, unsurprisingly, the new car/engine will win favour with lots of people and will prove a winner. Finally and perhaps controversial , (please don’t shoot me for saying), but I am left feeling that I almost hope they use an improved version of this engine in any new GTS. Really sorry NA guys but remember I was firmly a NA guy until I tried the 'dark side' 😀
I have no doubt any .2 GTS will be based on the 3.0L .2 TT engine, it will be
interesting to see just what any powerkit for this engine will constitute, the
X51 was quite a significant modification to many of the engine components
with the turbo engine the powerkit could simply be an increase in boost
over the S spec ... although Porsche being Porsche I doubt they will only
do just that... tick tock
Old 02-05-2016, 03:03 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Wow I really hope you are kidding. ��
Ya . . . I think we all do. But for some reason, this video comes to mind:

Or this:
Old 02-05-2016, 05:17 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Ian - Thank you for posting your thoughts. I really enjoyed reading them.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:30 PM
Ian M
Instructor

Thanks sub shooter. I've been fortunate enough to be invited to test drive the car a Porsches silver stone experience centre next Wednesday, so I'll let you know how it performs on a track. It will be good to really push that engine. I'm also hoping to try a rear wheel steer car as well as a standard one.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:34 PM
arch7
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Ian M
Can you tell what tires were on the car you drove? I have one on order and I'm curious they are using for the new cars.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: First Impression 991-2 Cab S