Sponsored by:

Official 991.2 Apple Carplay Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 10:33 AM
BingoWest
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by k997
Also the mods usually look out of place/ghetto.
Did you see the installation in the link? Looks pretty good.

Apparently the aftermarket head unit and fascia can be removed and the OEM unit reinstalled with the original bezel for resale.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:25 PM
991TR
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Resale value would definitely be one of the concerns for going aftermarket, especially on a 911. Even if it's returned to stock, I'd be concerned with how well the wiring was handled behind the bezel.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:03 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,871 Likes on 1,512 Posts

The biggest issue with these new touch screen based systems in my mind is that they really need you to look away from the road to use them. It's just like the growing problem of people using smartphones and not watching where they're going. Seems every week now we hear of someone walking off a cliff or into the path of a vehicle.

Which reminds me that last week I hired a low spec Toyota Corolla which did however have Bluetooth. So I used my iphone to navigate, but left it sitting in the cup holder so couldn't see the screen. Which turned out just fine as the audio gave me everything I needed. Actually quite refreshing.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:43 AM
BingoWest
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aggie57
The biggest issue with these new touch screen based systems in my mind is that they really need you to look away from the road to use them.
Absolutely agreed. It's a big problem that's getting bigger.

Originally Posted by aggie57
Which reminds me that last week I hired a low spec Toyota Corolla which did however have Bluetooth. So I used my iphone to navigate, but left it sitting in the cup holder so couldn't see the screen.
That's essentially what I do now in my 981S, except I put the phone where the smoking package would be. Works great. Much better than the Porsche onboard Nav system.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:09 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think I need an education as to WHY I need it. I never use ANY of the PCM stuff partly because the screen is low and partly because I don't need it. I have a 2015 Q5 and 2016 Tiguan R/line with Apple play. Never use it. No interest in pushing buttons while I drive. When I get to work I check my messages. My wife would check messages with her Lexus while driving and I hated that. I do love a great stereo,however. The 991.2 interface is no doubt better than the one in my 911/50 but it makes no difference because it wouldn't be used. What am I missing?

Signed,
Technically confused
Old 01-26-2016, 10:30 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
I think I need an education as to WHY I need it. What am I missing?

Signed,
Technically confused
My friend, you are missing nothing. Unfortunately you fall into the group that doesn't need their car to be an entertainment portal and an extension of their home office.

In marketing the 911 to a broader audience who values techie trinkets, MPG, and low end torque racing out of work at 5pm, the "entertainment experience" needs to be greater than the purity of the driving experience.

I myself, don't use it as a daily driver and love enjoying the mechanical experience of the car and actually enjoy the "art of driving". Porsche has its marketing dollars on the masses and unfortunately the driving experience and thrill of an NA engine isn't very high on the priority list. Funny how most all the comments even on RL for the 991.2 have little to do with it being a superior driving experience. They entail Apple CarPlay, what color this/that, and what deviated stitching option is best ...

I admit, I'm an iPhone guy too, but I bought a 911 as a driving machine, not another way to be electronically entertained.

* I do realize that Porsche doesn't increase 911 marketshare with guys like me though. They have bigger plans for marketing the 911. They're in business to make money. Whatever they want to do ... Go after the BMW and Subaru tuner crowd. Good luck!
Old 01-26-2016, 11:38 AM
07CarreraS
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
My friend, you are missing nothing. Unfortunately you fall into the group that doesn't need their car to be an entertainment portal and an extension of their home office.

In marketing the 911 to a broader audience who values techie trinkets, MPG, and low end torque racing out of work at 5pm, the "entertainment experience" needs to be greater than the purity of the driving experience.

I myself, don't use it as a daily driver and love enjoying the mechanical experience of the car and actually enjoy the "art of driving".
On point! I too enjoy driving and find myself watching everyone else when I change lanes or accelerate. I'm safer driving 100 mph than the lady in the minivan with cell phone and 3 kids in the back, and has an oversensitive reaction to braking or maneuvering. ugh.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:17 PM
991TR
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche Apple Carplay promo video

Notes
- You can use the built-in PCM voice commands, or
- SIRI
- Vehicle in video is a 911

I'm a fan of neither. The first thing I do is turn off SIRI when I buy a new iPhone.

Porsche Online Search Function video

Notes
- Supports Google Street View (only when vehicle is stationery)
- Support Google Earth
- Vehicles in video are a 911 and Macan
- Does not appear to run at 60fps (or even 30fps)
Old 02-07-2016, 04:58 PM
findtom
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 88 Posts

I have to agree with the OP, Apple Play is a welcome addition to an already great car. I love how the screen springs to life as your hand gets hear it, before you even touch it. The system is quite a bit faster and more responsive than the outgoing version.

Although, in the end I opted for a GTS instead of ordering a new 991.2, I would have loved the new PCM in my GTS.....
Old 02-07-2016, 05:16 PM
BingoWest
Rennlist Member

I recently mounted my iPhone up near the center dash air vent with a Kenu AirFrame Plus. Voila! Apple CarPlay.

I don't know why I never did this before.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:35 AM
Shawn C
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I lived with carplay in my 996 for a month two (2015 Pioneer Unit), Its not bad but you are stuck with Apple's map system which is mediocer compared to Googles. Also I was hoping Waze would be integrated but Apple put a stop to that because of Google.

Quick Reply: Official 991.2 Apple Carplay Thread