Sponsored by:

Official 991.2 Apple Carplay Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 05:19 PM
991TR
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Official 991.2 Apple Carplay Thread

Most of the information and discussion on the new 991.2 has been around the changes to chassis and performance--including the turbocharging of all trim levels.

Whatever the engine of choice, Porsche will make certain that the 911 is a 911.

Where the company has been lacking for many years is in its PCM interface and software. I've had five Porsche vehicles and simply put, it's crap compared to other car makers.

Let's discuss the new PCM in here.

While I haven't had an opportunity to use the new PCM/touch screen yet, I've read it supports multitouch. That means Porsche decided to go with a capacitive display vs the outgoing resistive display.

Here's a video of the new PCM in use. Hopefully you understand German

From the video above, it looks like the interface is very different than the outgoing software and UI.

Also of note, I find it very odd that Porsche went with Apple's Carplay, but the rear-seat entertainment (from Porsche Exclusive) uses modified Android tablets. I'll probably do a review of the rear-seat entertainment system in a different thread.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:29 PM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Not that I would ever want a 991.2, since Porsche is not making 911 Carrera's anymore IMO..................forgetting my bias, is there somewhere in the configurator you can check?

Apple Car Play NO
Driving YES
Old 01-24-2016, 08:34 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Yeah. Who cares about what's under the hood as long as it has a 911 badge on it?

It's all about the electronic entertainment these days don't you know? Isn't Apple CarPlay in all Ford Focus's too? If you have to hype up CarPlay to sell cars, there's bigger issues at hand.

What's with the "official" threads anyway??
Old 01-24-2016, 08:46 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Carplay is nice though... my wife's car has it.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:08 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't see any problem with having a car that handles better and is faster than the 911.1 and also has Carplay No different than all the buyers obsessing over the car interior or the stitching on the seats. My 991.2 order focuses on the performance, but interior is standard. Looking forward to Carplay after dealing with frustrating systems on other cars.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:12 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dflowerz
I don't see any problem with having a car that handles better and is faster than the 911.1 and also has Carplay No different than all the buyers obsessing over the car interior or the stitching on the seats. My 991.2 order focuses on the performance, but interior is standard. Looking forward to Carplay after dealing with frustrating systems on other cars.
Or the bazillion gts threads over the silver variations when that model was announced?
Old 01-24-2016, 10:25 PM
gloom
Instructor

The opposite argument could be made: by adopting CarPlay and Android Auto, manufacturers are actually conceding the infotainement victory to Apple, Google and third-party app makers. The are finally recognizing that they suck at software and that they should let our smartphones run the show. Future infotainement systems will simply become dumb terminals and manufacturers will be able to spend their R&D money on the car.

OP: I’m interested in this, thanks for creating a thread. I work in the software industry and I welcome this change. Also, the video you shared shows a “Check for Software Updates” menu item in the PCM. Thank God: over the air software updates instead of dumb DVD upgrades that you need to beg for at the dealer.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:30 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by gloom
The opposite argument could be made: by adopting CarPlay and Android Auto, manufacturers are actually conceding the infotainement victory to Apple, Google and third-party app makers. The are finally recognizing that they suck at software and that they should let our smartphones run the show. Future infotainement systems will simply become dumb terminals and manufacturers will be able to spend their R&D money on the car.

OP: I’m interested in this, thanks for creating a thread. I work in the software industry and I welcome this change. Also, the video you shared shows a “Check for Software Updates” menu item in the PCM. Thank God: over the air software updates instead of dumb DVD upgrades that you need to beg for at the dealer.
Totally agree. I bought a new Lexus with an infotainment system from the dark ages.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:32 PM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dflowerz
I don't see any problem with having a car that handles better and is faster than the 911.1 and also has Carplay
This says it all .

Reminds me of The World's Most Interesting Man beer commercial, when he says "I don't always talk to Milleniums. But when I do, I always ask for large fries".
Old 01-24-2016, 10:54 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

I sure like the "Nicht mehr anzeigen" option.

Anyone know if US versions of CarPlay have the ability to make the nanny screen go away?
Old 01-24-2016, 11:04 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

I do agree on having the smartphones be the main driver. Having one device linked up into different parts of your day makes sense.

I do disagree on the extra $$ going into R&D. Will be pocketed!
Old 01-24-2016, 11:48 PM
991TR
Advanced

Originally Posted by STG991
Yeah. Who cares about what's under the hood as long as it has a 911 badge on it?

It's all about the electronic entertainment these days don't you know? Isn't Apple CarPlay in all Ford Focus's too? If you have to hype up CarPlay to sell cars, there's bigger issues at hand.

What's with the "official" threads anyway??
I care what kind of performance comes out of the 911. Maybe you misunderstood what I wrote, but I'll clarify just for you.

Porsche has spent a large fortune engineering the 911 (and all its cars, for that matter) and everything that makes it a 911. The company will not suddenly drop the level of quality and performance simply because of engine changes/emissions requirements. The chassis is still the same and the suspension and most of what make the car a 911 are still the same. However, contrary to the opinion of the average luddite, the 911 does have room for improvement. Interface and OS is one such place.

And I don't want to drive a Focus or most Ford vehicles. I want to drive one of my 911s, but I don't want to be stuck with the crap OS that currently passes for navigation and interface.

I'm not sure what's up with the oddly immature response as I'm simply trying to inform the community and start a conversation about the future of the 911's PCM. Are you having a bad day?
Old 01-24-2016, 11:51 PM
991TR
Advanced

Thanks and same here. I'm bummed that neither of my 991s benefit from the new tech, but at least I can enjoy Porsche looking to improve the PCM.

Yeah, OTA software updates will be great--Tesla is probably responsible for some of the innovation we're going to see from Porsche and other sports/luxury car manufacturers. But I'm hoping that Porsche doesn't charge for these, but it could be a possibility.

Honestly, I'd prefer to use all my car's features versus having to use my phone to map a destination.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:08 AM
BingoWest
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not an aftermarket head unit with Carplay, like the Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX?

https://delreycustoms.myshopify.com/...vehicles-09-12
Old 01-25-2016, 10:13 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by BingoWest
Why not an aftermarket head unit with Carplay, like the Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX?

https://delreycustoms.myshopify.com/...vehicles-09-12
Because depreciation. Modded cars = no buy. Also the mods usually look out of place/ghetto.

I agree 100% with OP. Porsche needs to seriously up their game in the technology department.

Quick Reply: Official 991.2 Apple Carplay Thread