Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AWE installed in 991 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016 | 02:52 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Originally Posted by morrisryanc
What does "AWE" stand for? Sorry, noob here.
We're referring to the SwitchPath exhaust system made by AWE, the company. http://www.awe-tuning.com/company/
Old 06-07-2016 | 04:23 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Originally Posted by Cristophosphorus
Crazy! It always surprises me when our cars blow by the dB limit that easily. Sounds like you guys had a hell of a time, though. On another note... you guys were at LS?! Where was my invite?! If you both end up going again in the near future, say the word and I'll gladly drive up. It depends on the RPM band, really. There's no sugarcoating the fact that the system is quite loud with the valves open. You can absolutely have a conversation if you're light on the throttle and you keep it just above the droney RPMs but just below the screaming RPMs (between 2,200 and 3,500 should be great). That said, if you're with someone in the car and plan on having a conversation, I'd keep the valves closed. That's what I do whenever I have someone in the car that I want to talk to.
Sorry about that! We are still deciding on doing a track day at Sonoma for July 16th. Trackmasters has a two day event on the 16th and 17th there.

I've never been and should be a fun day if we get the spousal pass!

Anyone else interested? Be fun to have a big Rennlist presence there!
Old 06-07-2016 | 04:24 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Originally Posted by morrisryanc
What does "AWE" stand for? Sorry, noob here.
AWE is a tuning shop that sells lots of mod products. We are referencing the AWE exhaust that they sell for the 991.
Old 06-07-2016 | 04:24 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

We're referring to the SwitchPath exhaust system made by AWE, the company. http://www.awe-tuning.com/company/
beat me to it!
Old 06-07-2016 | 05:08 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
Sorry about that! We are still deciding on doing a track day at Sonoma for July 16th. Trackmasters has a two day event on the 16th and 17th there.

I've never been and should be a fun day if we get the spousal pass!

Anyone else interested? Be fun to have a big Rennlist presence there!

No need to apologize. I may be out of the country in July but we should keep in touch. I'd love to do a trackday with fellow RLs.
Old 06-07-2016 | 06:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Crazy! It always surprises me when our cars blow by the dB limit that easily. Sounds like you guys had a hell of a time, though.

On another note... you guys were at LS?! Where was my invite?! If you both end up going again in the near future, say the word and I'll gladly drive up.

It depends on the RPM band, really. There's no sugarcoating the fact that the system is quite loud with the valves open. You can absolutely have a conversation if you're light on the throttle and you keep it just above the droney RPMs but just below the screaming RPMs (between 2,200 and 3,500 should be great).

That said, if you're with someone in the car and plan on having a conversation, I'd keep the valves closed. That's what I do whenever I have someone in the car that I want to talk to.
in future we'll keep you posted!
Old 06-07-2016 | 11:46 PM
WellDressedCar
Racer

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2016 | 12:05 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8
Getting the AWE installed next Tuesday on my GTS along w/ ducktail (keeping black grills). Will post vids/pics next week
Yes let us know how it goes. I need to send my SA an email to ask as I am just waiting on the PSE parts at this point.

Crazy! It always surprises me when our cars blow by the dB limit that easily. Sounds like you guys had a hell of a time, though.

On another note... you guys were at LS?! Where was my invite?! If you both end up going again in the near future, say the word and I'll gladly drive up.

It depends on the RPM band, really. There's no sugarcoating the fact that the system is quite loud with the valves open. You can absolutely have a conversation if you're light on the throttle and you keep it just above the droney RPMs but just below the screaming RPMs (between 2,200 and 3,500 should be great).

That said, if you're with someone in the car and plan on having a conversation, I'd keep the valves closed. That's what I do whenever I have someone in the car that I want to talk to.
Thanks for all the advice and updates guys and personal experience. When I had my '14 Cayman S w/PSE and also my 09 Carrera C4S w/PSE I didn't have it on all the time. But used it when I wanted and say maybe 40-60% MAX of the time on normal driving. I did always put it in sport mode tho especially with PDK 1.0 (my '09 CS and then C4S) and even now PDK 2.0 (with my '13 991). I just find the car a bit slow to shift when in normal mode. I think a tune would also help as I hear GIAC does a great job with crisper shifts w/PDK especially.

Akrapovic still sounds glorious but we'll see as I've had pleasant prior experiences with AWE. Worst case if I don't like it? Sell and give Tubi or Cargraphic a look or save a bit for an Akrapovic. Car isn't going anywhere anytime soon!
Old 06-08-2016 | 12:58 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Yes let us know how it goes. I need to send my SA an email to ask as I am just waiting on the PSE parts at this point.Thanks for all the advice and updates guys and personal experience. When I had my '14 Cayman S w/PSE and also my 09 Carrera C4S w/PSE I didn't have it on all the time. But used it when I wanted and say maybe 40-60% MAX of the time on normal driving. I did always put it in sport mode tho especially with PDK 1.0 (my '09 CS and then C4S) and even now PDK 2.0 (with my '13 991). I just find the car a bit slow to shift when in normal mode. I think a tune would also help as I hear GIAC does a great job with crisper shifts w/PDK especially.

Akrapovic still sounds glorious but we'll see as I've had pleasant prior experiences with AWE. Worst case if I don't like it? Sell and give Tubi or Cargraphic a look or save a bit for an Akrapovic. Car isn't going anywhere anytime soon!
Never experienced Akra but their exhaust looks very similar to PSE.
Attached Images   
Old 06-08-2016 | 01:19 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Never experienced Akra but their exhaust looks very similar to PSE.
Except the price man! I got a quote and it was $8.5k! For an exhaust? Sounds glorious I know but dayum??? I can do GT3 mirrors, IPD plenum, and a few other things for that cost man!

Looked for one in the classified...none! Can see why at that cost though.

Let us know when you retrofit to your PSE and your thoughts! Thanks again for the PM.
Old 06-08-2016 | 11:55 AM
hlvg
Instructor

More detailed thread to come in the future. For now the install is complete! Many thanks to Larry Cable for spending a fun filled Saturday to guide/help/do the install with me. Couldn't have done it without you bro!

We did a test drive together after the install with my 6 year old in the rear seat. All I can say is holy ****. This thing is loud! Sounds like a race car!

More to come soon. Thanks for all the responses.

Man is it loud....
How long did it take for the two of you to install it?
Old 06-08-2016 | 03:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hlvg
How long did it take for the two of you to install it?
well we goofed off a lot apparently, as it took us about 5 hours elapsed, but when NA430GTS returned it to stock it only took him about 3 hours.
Old 06-08-2016 | 03:42 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Except the price man! I got a quote and it was $8.5k! For an exhaust? Sounds glorious I know but dayum??? I can do GT3 mirrors, IPD plenum, and a few other things for that cost man!

Let us know when you retrofit to your PSE and your thoughts! Thanks again for the PM.
+1 I think the Tubi or Cargraphic is a more economical solution, Kline Iconel might also be so...
Old 06-08-2016 | 03:43 PM
Stil_1
Instructor

Yeah pretty expensive, but I think it's an all titanium alloy exhaust as well. Not sure how much titanium costs, maybe that's part of the reason (it is side and center mufflers, so a bit of metal)

I'm sure there's also brand as well.
Old 06-15-2016 | 03:20 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8
Getting the AWE installed next Tuesday on my GTS along w/ ducktail (keeping black grills). Will post vids/pics next week
Updates? Did you get your install done? Thoughts? Enjoying it or wishing you had gone another route? Let us know!

Quick Reply: AWE installed in 991 GTS