991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AWE installed in 991 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016 | 03:36 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

More detailed thread to come in the future. For now the install is complete! Many thanks to Larry Cable for spending a fun filled Saturday to guide/help/do the install with me. Couldn't have done it without you bro!

We did a test drive together after the install with my 6 year old in the rear seat. All I can say is holy ****. This thing is loud! Sounds like a race car!

More to come soon. Thanks for all the responses.

Man is it loud....
Old 06-05-2016 | 06:53 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
More detailed thread to come in the future. For now the install is complete! Many thanks to Larry Cable for spending a fun filled Saturday to guide/help/do the install with me. Couldn't have done it without you bro!

We did a test drive together after the install with my 6 year old in the rear seat. All I can say is holy ****. This thing is loud! Sounds like a race car!

More to come soon. Thanks for all the responses.

Man is it loud....
Have mine waiting on parts (PSE) to install. Do you think it is TOO loud or maybe this is due to you car being a cab maybe? Intersested in your thoughts and impressions. I have a 2013 Coupe S and wanted something more aggressive and louder than the OEM exhaust. PSE was an option but i heard from quite a few PSE owners that even PSE had its limits and thus they went seeking other alternatives.
Old 06-06-2016 | 04:33 PM
Jerrygreene
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Have mine waiting on parts (PSE) to install. Do you think it is TOO loud or maybe this is due to you car being a cab maybe? Intersested in your thoughts and impressions. I have a 2013 Coupe S and wanted something more aggressive and louder than the OEM exhaust. PSE was an option but i heard from quite a few PSE owners that even PSE had its limits and thus they went seeking other alternatives.
mdrobc1213 - TOO loud? Off- no, On - yes!
i have same ride as you, every one who rides in it, top up or down loves to push the button on...
Stealing a quote here on it, Its a Dr Jekly & Mr Hyde. Off is maybe a bit quieter than stock, but on, its amazing. Going under a bridge or tunnel at 5-7K is , well, its jaw dropping. THe sound is incredible. But be careful, it is a very strong narcotic. Enjoy....
Old 06-06-2016 | 08:33 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Originally Posted by Jerrygreene
i have same ride as you, every one who rides in it, top up or down loves to push the button on...
Stealing a quote here on it, Its a Dr Jekly & Mr Hyde. Off is maybe a bit quieter than stock, but on, its amazing. Going under a bridge or tunnel at 5-7K is , well, its jaw dropping. THe sound is incredible. But be careful, it is a very strong narcotic. Enjoy....

+1. It *is* a loud system and leaving the valves on 24/7 (especially if you have the AWE tips) will annoy you. The beauty of the system, though, is that (1) it isn't ridiculously loud at low RPMs and you can manage the noise level with the throttle, and (2) you can close the valves whenever you want.
Old 06-06-2016 | 08:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cristophosphorus
+1. It *is* a loud system and leaving the valves on 24/7 (especially if you have the AWE tips) will annoy you. The beauty of the system, though, is that (1) it isn't ridiculously loud at low RPMs and you can manage the noise level with the throttle, and (2) you can close the valves whenever you want.
+1 ... BTW NA430GTS and I spectacularly failed sound at Laguna Seca, I got the bit between my teeth trying to catch a V8 R10 up the hill between 4-5 and
blew by the sound meter at full chat - ka-ching 97.5db ...

spent the rest of the day pissing everyone off by crusing up the hill short shifting into 4th and staying off the gas to avoid another embarrassment!
Old 06-06-2016 | 10:56 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cristophosphorus
Hmm...that gives me pause to a degree. I mean are we talking about OMG this is horrible. No convo inside the car...irritiating/annoyable system here? I've heard so many rave reviews that I am curious now here as to what is going on?
Originally Posted by Larry Cable
+1 ... BTW NA430GTS and I spectacularly failed sound at Laguna Seca, I got the bit between my teeth trying to catch a V8 R10 up the hill between 4-5 and

spent the rest of the day pissing everyone off by crusing up the hill short shifting into 4th and staying off the gas to avoid another embarrassment!
Huh? Don't understand???? Never been to Launa Seca.
Originally Posted by Jerrygreene
Akrapovic was my initial choice but I just couldn't fully accept the $8k price tag for an exhaust! Cargraphic came in a close second but no local dealers and also a $5.5k price tag. AWE I've had their equipment before and was pleasantly pleased. What changed if anything?
Old 06-06-2016 | 11:33 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

+1 ... BTW NA430GTS and I spectacularly failed sound at Laguna Seca, I got the bit between my teeth trying to catch a V8 R10 up the hill between 4-5 and blew by the sound meter at full chat - ka-ching 97.5db ... spent the rest of the day pissing everyone off by crusing up the hill short shifting into 4th and staying off the gas to avoid another embarrassment!
I was happy. Gave me a break from the G forces so I could remove my fingernails from the dash.

My stock PSE fell under the 90 db limit at Laguna full throttle. I have experienced both PSE and AWE on a GTS and I can say that AWE, valves open, is very loud and more of a racing car sound. AWE valves closed was too tame for my tastes below 5k rpm. For me, I prefer the PSE, as I like to drive around town with valves open with just enough gurgle and pops. Pick up my kids from school etc. It's just enough to scratch the sound itch but doesn't set off the car alarms. YMMV just depends on what you are looking for....
Old 06-06-2016 | 11:41 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Laguna has a sound limit and if you go over 90db on turn 5 where the sound mic is you get flagged and have to go in. Larry short shifted to keep the rpms down which kept the valves closed on his AWE system.
Old 06-07-2016 | 01:36 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

I was happy. Gave me a break from the G forces so I could remove my fingernails from the dash.

My stock PSE fell under the 90 db limit at Laguna full throttle. I have experienced both PSE and AWE on a GTS and I can say that AWE, valves open, is very loud and more of a racing car sound. AWE valves closed was too tame for my tastes below 5k rpm. For me, I prefer the PSE, as I like to drive around town with valves open with just enough gurgle and pops. Pick up my kids from school etc. It's just enough to scratch the sound itch but doesn't set off the car alarms. YMMV just depends on what you are looking for....
Thanks man...also appreciate the private message also with more details. I am getting PSE wired to my car and then the AWE so we'll see. I had PSE on my Cayman S and loved it but did think it wasn't fully as throaty as I wanted. As I said earlier, I fell in love with the Akrapovic system but ahh the cost. Where does AWE fall in respect to it and Cargraphic or Tubi if you know?
Laguna has a sound limit and if you go over 90db on turn 5 where the sound mic is you get flagged and have to go in. Larry short shifted to keep the rpms down which kept the valves closed on his AWE system.
Ah...okay got it. That makes sense now. One question is the GTS a bit more louder than the S? Probably not but one could hope maybe? LOL Did Larry keep his system or return his AWE also? What are you going with now? PSE? Other?
Old 06-07-2016 | 01:42 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Thanks man...also appreciate the private message also with more details. I am getting PSE wired to my car and then the AWE so we'll see. I had PSE on my Cayman S and loved it but did think it wasn't fully as throaty as I wanted. As I said earlier, I fell in love with the Akrapovic system but ahh the cost. Where does AWE fall in respect to it and Cargraphic or Tubi if you know? Ah...okay got it. That makes sense now. One question is the GTS a bit more louder than the S? Probably not but one could hope maybe? LOL Did Larry keep his system or return his AWE also? What are you going with now? PSE? Other?
Akro is out of my price range but I absolutely love the sound on their video. One member on the forum that have installed AWE and returned because it was too loud went with Tubi. For me I'm sticking with PSE. IMO if it were aftermarket I think people would be very drawn to it.

But if you are looking for a loud exhaust AWE has you covered.
Old 06-07-2016 | 12:06 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Thanks man...also appreciate the private message also with more details. I am getting PSE wired to my car and then the AWE so we'll see. I had PSE on my Cayman S and loved it but did think it wasn't fully as throaty as I wanted. As I said earlier, I fell in love with the Akrapovic system but ahh the cost. Where does AWE fall in respect to it and Cargraphic or Tubi if you know?

Ah...okay got it. That makes sense now. One question is the GTS a bit more louder than the S? Probably not but one could hope maybe? LOL Did Larry keep his system or return his AWE also? What are you going with now? PSE? Other?
I'm keeping my AWE, I really like that it is not intrusive in normal mode but sounds amazing in sport mode... and I normally drive in normal anyway
Old 06-07-2016 | 12:38 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Getting the AWE installed next Tuesday on my GTS along w/ ducktail (keeping black grills). Will post vids/pics next week
Old 06-07-2016 | 12:50 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Maybe the right thing to do here is send in your sport switch to get set up for default on? I know I would! BMC installed, AWE later this year I hope
Old 06-07-2016 | 02:36 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Crazy! It always surprises me when our cars blow by the dB limit that easily. Sounds like you guys had a hell of a time, though.

On another note... you guys were at LS?! Where was my invite?! If you both end up going again in the near future, say the word and I'll gladly drive up.

Hmm...that gives me pause to a degree. I mean are we talking about OMG this is horrible. No convo inside the car...irritiating/annoyable system here? I've heard so many rave reviews that I am curious now here as to what is going on? \
It depends on the RPM band, really. There's no sugarcoating the fact that the system is quite loud with the valves open. You can absolutely have a conversation if you're light on the throttle and you keep it just above the droney RPMs but just below the screaming RPMs (between 2,200 and 3,500 should be great).

That said, if you're with someone in the car and plan on having a conversation, I'd keep the valves closed. That's what I do whenever I have someone in the car that I want to talk to.
Old 06-07-2016 | 02:50 PM
WellDressedCar
Racer

What does "AWE" stand for? Sorry, noob here.

Quick Reply: AWE installed in 991 GTS