Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grigio Campovolo Y99 - PTS - Here At Last!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016 | 06:19 PM
philipatl
Instructor

Wonderful color! I really like the pics of Grigio Telesto as well..
Old 01-03-2016 | 06:45 PM
OTM
Rennlist Member

Color is amazing! Congrats.
Old 01-04-2016 | 02:20 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Gorgeous car! Unbelievable with those interior deviated pieces!

And ...loving the unusual grey thread!!

Would love to see a shot under different lighting OP, I have to admit it looks white in most of those pics.

Slate grey was an old favorite for me ... rare color on 993s (esp turbos) that I lusted after. Part of the reason I love plain ol Agate - even though it's more gold then green (as in slate) it's very sleek.
Old 01-04-2016 | 02:43 AM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alsarkal
Those come to mind... Schiefergrau uni 6601

Schiefergrau is Slate Grey that Eduardo posted an example of above, isn't it?
Old 01-04-2016 | 08:26 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

OP - Congrats, we have to hook up and do some side by side pics with my geyser (sunroof delete also), hope you are on the bucks side of herts as I am on the bucks side of Oxon.

Eduardo - there is a French reincarnation of your Targa over on the 911 forum, I'd like to think he was inspired by yours!
Old 01-04-2016 | 06:29 PM
Puf n Stuf
Instructor

Thanks for the positive comments - they are all much appreciated. To answer some points:

Originally Posted by fowhdr
After seeing the other GC, did you consider any other greys and/or see any together to directly compare? Or you made up your mind right away? As you know I'm trying to find "my" grey. Devin
Devin, I saw Geyser Grey on a 50th - really liked it but I had missed the 50th boat and Porsche refused my Geyser PTS request - although I know from one thread, on this board I recall, where someone was allowed Geyser PTS.
Then at some point, I just switched onto non-metallics; there seemed to be loads more flat colours that appealed to me compared to metallics, I still have my handwritten hit list: Creme White, Meissen Blue, Fashion Grey, Olive Green, Etna Blue & Stone Grey. Berkeley Square Porsche had a file with samples of some of these painted onto A4 card but it was nothing like seeing the paint on a full-size car. I began to realise that I preferred lighter shades with dark wheels (although if Meissen had been approved then maybe.)… Then I just bumped into Grigio Campovolo and instant love!
The banality of flat grey is striking when matched with an exciting car. It works better on a GTS than on an Abarth.

Originally Posted by Z356
But, like all of these interesting 'grays', it changes
its tone according to light conditions & camera lenses
used. :thumbs: Saludos, Eduardo, Carmel.
I completely agree Eduardo. Good luck with your Nardo RS7 - the colour looks great in both photos.

Originally Posted by lessthan3mph
Congratulations! Wonderful car and wonderful photography! I love it!
Can you share a little more about what specifically you ordered for your CXX (I assume you meant this, not XXX) steering wheel? I special ordered my steering wheel too, and I thought it was a nice little touch to personalize the car.
Congratulations once again!!! :thumb:
Come now 3mph, you’re being too kind! My photos are nowhere near as good as your Fashion Grey shots.

I was under the impression that the code for the wheel was XXX but having checked the order and delivery invoice, no code is shown. It just states ‘Additional Service: Deviating stitching in Rhodium Silver on Alcantara steering wheel’. It was a while after ordering the car when I realised that it didn’t come with the deviating stitching on the wheel as standard with the GTS package - I had thought that it was part of the deal. And then I saw Jupjai’s wheel and then yours and that made me splash the cash. It really sets off the interior nicely. It’s pricey, but I renegotiated the whole deal as I added a few more extras at the same time and got a worthwhile discount. Anyway, that extra was added 6 months ago and I’ve long given up thinking about the cost; it brings a lot of pleasure every time I drive. I am easily pleased!

Originally Posted by LexVan
Ginormous license plate.
Haha Lex. Yes it’s a whooper. Never given it a moment’s thought until this forum. As to the thread ‘Does anyone have a solution for front license plate for a GTS?’ https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8824...for-a-gts.html well yes I do. Just bolt it onto the front and stop worrying. It acts as a magnificent stone guard. If you come from round these parts, every car has a front plate and to see one without makes that car look odd. Bit like a face without eyebrows, or Burt Reynolds without a tash.

Originally Posted by trysixty
beautiful color and car!!! but i would never tell anyone something on my Porsche came from a Fiat
I struggled coming to terms with this at first but now I’m chilled. Who here hasn’t got an embarrassing relative?

Originally Posted by atm75
Would recommend a full front clip PPF for your PTS GTS though. Happy New Year
Thanks ATM but I’m resolved to go nude. Most chips that I’ve had in other cars, tend to have Grigio Campovolo primer underneath!

Originally Posted by Chris C.
And ...loving the unusual grey thread!!
Would love to see a shot under different lighting OP, I have to admit it looks white in most of those pics.
Thanks Chris. I can’t deny, it is close to white sometimes, but in the flesh, it’s grey. I need to post photos of it next to a white 911 but the weather in the UK these past 2 weeks has been drenching. Watch this space.

Originally Posted by Mondrian
OP - Congrats, we have to hook up and do some side by side pics with my geyser (sunroof delete also), hope you are on the bucks side of herts as I am on the bucks side of Oxon.
Agreed. I’ll ping you a PM. I’ve not met another 991 since I got the car; I want to wave and say, ‘hi’, but it’s barren here.

Got a couple of mods planned. Details to follow….
Old 01-05-2016 | 09:17 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

The only thing I have done to the car was a new car paint protection & glass coating for the paint using Polish Angel cosmic 9h & Polish Angel super sport PTFE for the wheels.
Old 01-05-2016 | 09:29 AM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

Originally Posted by Puf n Stuf
Got a couple of mods planned. Details to follow….
As you know Puf I am on the MK side of Bucks too. Maybe we should all meet up some time. I have the AWE switchpath which is most definitely worth a listen and the Rennline front grilles.
Old 01-05-2016 | 11:05 AM
Puf n Stuf
Instructor

Originally Posted by OMG Noooooo....
As you know Puf I am on the MK side of Bucks too. Maybe we should all meet up some time. I have the AWE switchpath which is most definitely worth a listen and the Rennline front grilles.

The birth of the 'Herts, Bucks & Oxon 991 Chapter' live on Rennlist !

I have both Mondrain's and your emails, and shall ping a message when I get home.
Old 01-05-2016 | 05:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

you mean MFK?
Old 01-05-2016 | 05:47 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Late to the post here but big congrats and well worth the effort. It mirrors my Audi R8 GT in Suzuka with a very similar interior with the white/silver contrast stitching. Well worth it. I have had three Suzuka cars and still have 2 (My R8GT and RS5) so certainly know that color well vs yours having a neighbor with the Abarth. Suzuka is nearly impossible to photograph to really get it as is your color. It is hard to get the grey in Suzuka till you put a white car next to it...which I do every night with my Carrera S that while white looks cream next to my Suzuka. My 4th car is an old Audi TT in Nimbus Grey that is very much the same as Lambo's medium gray color. I will special order another R8 one day if I get a new one in Nimbus with a particular interior leather that matches my special edition TT. My RS7 was Suzuka since I had not seen the Nardo yet in person since no cars had it yet when we early ordered the RS7 back in '13. If I get another one it will be Nardo. Looks great on the 7.
Old 01-05-2016 | 09:25 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Did Audi's 'Suzuka Grey' failed a PAG color feasibility test???

Originally Posted by navanoD
Suzuka Grey is a metallic though... I use to have it on a Audi TTS
I ordered with Exclusive Paint... I attempted to order it for a PTS
987.2 Spyder a few years ago, but it failed the feasibility test.
Donavan: I have a question for you. I remember the short time
window in March of 2011 when PAG/PCNA opened the PTS window
for the '12 987 Boxster Spyder. I remember you were trying to get
a 'grey' & was thinking of 'Dolphin' & 'Suzuka Grey'. But the window
opened & closed so fast (2/3 weeks) that PAG couldn't possibly have
done a complete feasibility study on 'Suzuka Grey' in such a short
period of time. It might have been 'denied'...but was a feasibility
study ever done for it and it officially 'failed'???????

If you have some documentation to back this up I would be interested
in seeing it. To my knowledge, 'Suzuka Grey' has not been tested on
the 991/981 and it would be interesting to see if it was ever tested for
the 997/987.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 01-16-2016 | 08:37 PM
Puf n Stuf
Instructor

Whilst it's not a 991, I thought fellow grey lovers may be interested to see the following photos that a friend has kindly agreed to share. They are of his immaculate 1986 M491 coupe that he ordered new in 1986 and still owns. The colour is Marble Grey / Marmargrau / Grigio Chiaro - colour code 673 - a non-metallic colour offered in model years 1985 and 1986. Calling Eduardo: any info on number sold in this rare standard colour?

From these photos the colour appears to be lighter than that shown in the Porsche colour chart. The colour in the lighthouse photo is very similar to Grigio Campovolo. Peter Porsche's white polo shirt provides good contrast to the frunk lid.

Marble Grey may appeal to those who are looking for a historic Porsche light grey, subject of course to getting it past Porsche's feasibility check and added to the PTS approved list - not a swift process. I think it's a great colour and if Marble Grey had been on the PTS approved list, then it would have made my shortlist.

Old 01-17-2016 | 06:55 AM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

Another grey?

This is from Rennlist facebook.

And a GT3 R as well..
Old 01-17-2016 | 08:36 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Another grey?

Yes, it's reported as PTS 'Fashion Grey'. Belongs to Rennlist user 'trips'. What
as stunning & elegant color on that GTS Targa!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9139...targa-gts.html

And a GT3 R as well..
I am not sure this is correct. The lighting in the photo above could have
been a factor. The race car is almost always delivered in 'white' & the teams
paint or foil-wrap as they wish. With almost certainty one could possibly
say that a PTS painted race car by PAG itself at the factory is not to be
found. But you tell us where you got this information from - 'Black Falcon'
racing team itself?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Quick Reply: Grigio Campovolo Y99 - PTS - Here At Last!