Sponsored by:

Advice needed: OEM exterior mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 03:12 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Advice needed: OEM exterior mods

So I've decided that I'd like to do one or two OEM exterior mods to make my car "mine" but am having trouble figuring out what might look best. As you can see from my profile, car is Agate w/ a 30-35% tint and S wheels in Silver. I was thinking of going with

1) 911_50 front chrome grilles w/ the Rennline mesh kit.
2) 911_50 rear engine grille cover (can't decide between black or chrome on this one) but the chrome might match better?.

Wish there were more options here but it seems like the 911_50/GTS are the only decent options to keep an OEM look. I don't wanna go with SportDesign or anything else that is going to require a lot of $$, work and painting and I love my rims so wheels are out.

Comments and/or other suggestions??
Old 12-29-2015, 08:47 AM
cajerseyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

+1 on Rennline grille. Having mine installed in the next few weeks. Just need to find an installer in the Bay Area. Got sick of blowing out the leaves.

Radar and anti laser has mixed reviews but I love the protection and confidence when going a few MPH over the speed limit. I have the Bell STiR integrated with AL Priority laser defense. Everything is hidden very well.

Front license plate in CA does not seem to be an issue for most on RL. Most don't have one, however there are threads on the subject.

Here is a great thread for more ideas.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9078...cessories.html
Old 12-29-2015, 11:46 AM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No doubt get the grille mesh inserts....1000% worth the effort. If you do the 50th front chrome gills do the rear engine cover as the 50th too...it will look funny without the tie in. I cant tell what color your window trim is but on the 50th it is chrome too...that tie in all the way around is probably needed to make it look really good/right.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...0fb28667e9.png

I can't tell which lip you have on the front spoiler but the easiest add is to do the deeper 'sport' version which the 50th also has...looks good no matter what you do otherwise. http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991SSL.html

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...0fb28667e9.png
Old 12-29-2015, 12:15 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

I have the 50th Chrome Grills on mine, have to say I do like them and the snap in very easily.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:43 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Wow, thanks everyone! I think I have my list. I already do have the sport lip up front so that's good to go.

1) Front Chrome Grille inserts w/ Rennline Mesh
2) Rear engine Chrome Grille cover
3) Window trim in Chrome. (Not sure if this is an option but if it's a factory part must be interchangeable with what I have which is black.

Toying with the idea of a radar / laser as well. NA430: what did that setup run you and have you found an installer for the mesh inserts?
Old 12-29-2015, 03:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
+1 on Rennline grille. Having mine installed in the next few weeks. Just need to find an installer in the Bay Area. Got sick of blowing out the leaves.

Radar and anti laser has mixed reviews but I love the protection and confidence when going a few MPH over the speed limit. I have the Bell STiR integrated with AL Priority laser defense. Everything is hidden very well.

Front license plate in CA does not seem to be an issue for most on RL. Most don't have one, however there are threads on the subject.

Here is a great thread for more ideas.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9078...cessories.html
+1
Old 12-29-2015, 05:49 PM
cajerseyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Wow, thanks everyone! I think I have my list. I already do have the sport lip up front so that's good to go. 1) Front Chrome Grille inserts w/ Rennline Mesh 2) Rear engine Chrome Grille cover 3) Window trim in Chrome. (Not sure if this is an option but if it's a factory part must be interchangeable with what I have which is black. Toying with the idea of a radar / laser as well. NA430: what did that setup run you and have you found an installer for the mesh inserts?
Looks like Sonnen Porsche in Mill Valley and Aliotos in the city have done the installs well (thanks Larry C.).

I'm probably going to go with Sonnen as i have an oil change coming up soon. It's a hike from the east bay but they have helped me out with a prior issue and want to give whatever business I have to them. Gary Wright at Sonnen is the service manager and is top notch. Several here would vouch for him. The laser and radar defense was a pricier endeavor then expected. I will send you some pics along with a run down on the pricing. Good list you have going. She is going to look sweet!
Old 12-29-2015, 06:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Looks like Sonnen Porsche in Mill Valley and Aliotos in the city have done the installs well (thanks Larry C.).

I'm probably going to go with Sonnen as i have an oil change coming up soon. It's a hike from the east bay but they have helped me out with a prior issue and want to give whatever business I have to them. Gary Wright at Sonnen is the service manager and is top notch. Several here would vouch for him. The laser and radar defense was a pricier endeavor then expected. I will send you some pics along with a run down on the pricing. Good list you have going. She is going to look sweet!
+1 they did my grille install and did an AWESOME job ... looks like factory!
Old 12-29-2015, 10:23 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Awesome. thanks for the rec. Sonnen is a slight trek for me too but if the guy is good it's worth it. Thanks in advance for the info on the radar and laser.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:41 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

FYI ... To change outer aluminum window trim, a new rear window needs to be ordered. Lower alum trim is connected to it.

Doing all the trim on both sides with labor could end up being like a $1,400+ job
Old 12-29-2015, 10:44 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by STG991
FYI ... To change outer aluminum window trim, a new rear window needs to be ordered. Lower alum trim is connected to it.

Doing all the trim on both sides with labor could end up being like a $1,400+ job
Wow, the window is attached to the trim? Sheesh. That means I'll also need to tint the new glass to match existing. Guess I didn't like that chrome look as much as I thought ...
Old 12-29-2015, 10:47 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Wow, the window is attached to the trim? Sheesh. That means I'll also need to tint the new glass to match existing. Guess I didn't like that chrome look as much as I thought ...
Yes, window attached to lower trim. I had an etched mark on my trim that was bothering me. Ordered the new window.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:49 PM
STG
Race Director

#3 is a complete unit
Old 12-30-2015, 02:36 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by STG991

#3 is a complete unit
d'oh that's too bad because the chrome strips look awesome!
Old 02-10-2016, 04:36 AM
miporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone know the Porsche OEM part number for the 911_50 rear engine black & chrome grill cover? Thx

Quick Reply: Advice needed: OEM exterior mods