Sponsored by:

E Brake Struggle..

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 08:20 PM
Shawn C
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default E Brake Struggle..

I know its a silly complaint but I miss having a good ol' fashioned E Brake in the middle. Sometimes the E brake disengages when I go to back up or pull forward but sometimes it doesn't. Am I doing something wrong? Whats the trick?
Old 02-05-2016, 08:54 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

According to the manual it automatically disengages when it thinks you are starting to drive. I suspect moving forward it's similar to the Hill Hold function where you have to use a little force to overcome the engaged brake.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:58 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

Do you have your seat belt on all the time you are doing this? E brake will no disengage unless seat belt is on, I believe.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:46 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Firmly with you on this Shawn. 9 months into 991 ownership and it's still not intuitive, either engagement or disengagement. Frankly, I mildly hate it. Miss the lever.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:13 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 848 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Do you have your seat belt on all the time you are doing this? E brake will no disengage unless seat belt is on, I believe.
+1
Old 02-06-2016, 05:44 AM
Ian M
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts
Default E Brake Struggle..

The thing I really struggle with is the hill hold function. Trying to parallel park in a tight spot on steep hill is a little interesting. You reverse in brake, want to move forward a bit to adjust, but when you release the foot brake the hill hold seems to be on. If it's a tight spot you can't apply the throttle to disengage it. A normal handbrake would work better.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:28 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Ian, is that disengageable on manuals? I have a Wrangler 6M that was driving me crazy, but I found the software choice in the user menu that allowed me to turn it off. Best 90 seconds I've spent modifying the Jeep yet!
Old 02-06-2016, 09:52 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
+1
Yup. This. +2.

I think our center consoles look GREAT without the e-brake handle sitting there.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:16 AM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Lex that it's nice to have the parking brake lever gone. But I don't like the automatic disengagement part. Hey parking brake, you want to be electronically activated? Fine. But don't guess whether I forgot to disengage and do it for me. If I forget, it's none of your business.

And another thing: when the parking brake lever was designed out, it would've been a great opportunity to invite someone from Audi over to learn how to add useful drink holders.

Last edited by RichAA; 02-06-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:25 AM
Shawn C
Racer

That might be it, Usually I throw my seatbelt after backing up because I kind of have to lift myself up out of the sport seat a bit to look backward.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:27 AM
Shawn C
Racer

Originally Posted by RichAA
I agree with Lex that it's nice to have the parking brake lever gone. But I don't like the automatic disengagement part. Hey parking brake, you want to be electronically activated? Fine. But don't guess whether I forgot to disengage and do it for me. If I forget, it's none of your business.

And another thing: when the parking brake lever was designed out, it would've been a great opportunity to invite someone from Audi over to learn how to add useful drink holders.
I agree it looks way better with it gone, I wish it was one action to engage and disengage, I find myself forgetting wether to push it in or pull it out lol. Sounds stupid but I'm sure I will remember it after a while.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:32 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

I guess I liked seeing a HB on all my previous Porsches because when I was a young impressionable lad in the early 80s a handbrake was kind of exotic, being found on none of the regular domestics most people drove. So a center console was unusual, but a center console with HB lever meant one thing -- sportscar.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:15 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I guess I liked seeing a HB on all my previous Porsches because when I was a young impressionable lad in the early 80s a handbrake was kind of exotic, being found on none of the regular domestics most people drove. So a center console was unusual, but a center console with HB lever meant one thing -- sportscar.
+1
Old 02-10-2016, 09:10 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Ian M
The thing I really struggle with is the hill hold function. Trying to parallel park in a tight spot on steep hill is a little interesting. You reverse in brake, want to move forward a bit to adjust, but when you release the foot brake the hill hold seems to be on. If it's a tight spot you can't apply the throttle to disengage it. A normal handbrake would work better.
I don't care for the hill holder thingie, although I think BMW's implementation is a bit better than Porsche's. In both cases I believe that it will wait for 3 seconds and release regardless of what you do. So in the case of Ian trying to parallel park, he's going to look a little bit, um, impaired, waiting for 3 or 4 seconds for every maneuver, but that should make it a bit easier.

I also suspect that the ebrake uses a different mechanism than the hill holder. You can hear the motor apply/release the ebrake, but I never hear (heard) it with the hill holder. Just sayin'.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:47 AM
Shawn C
Racer

So it was definitely the seat belt . Good call!

Quick Reply: E Brake Struggle..