Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 991 is now out of warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 02:55 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 707 Likes on 322 Posts

Wow, congrats on the miles and what a great write-up! I am driving mine as much as possible and yet I am unable to put more than 8k miles a year on it. Glad to hear how well yours has held up!
Old 12-29-2015, 06:46 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 237 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. Your car looks great at 50K.

My car is a November 2013 production (a 2014 911 Agate Grey PDK). I have experienced no issues.

I had my second service last fall with 20K+ miles now. It's my daily driver. My weekend car is a LWB 1973 Porsche 911 (RS options, 915, no radio, S-brakes).

I somewhat miss the hand built early air-cooled 911 cars until I drive the 991 with its comforts of today. The nice A/C, bluetooth, GPS, 14-way premium package seats makes it a great car (did I mention the cooled seats?).

I'll always have a modern 911 and an old 911.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:49 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a couple of seat pics as asked for. Obviously there is a smidgen more wear on the driver's seat, but overall they look great. No scuffs, dents, wrinkles, or tears, just the slightest "stretch" marks on the outer bolster. As stated I'm pretty careful getting in and out.
It's noticeable also that the standard steering wheel is also doing fine. On my '06 Cayman S that had a sand beige wheel, it was a constant battle keeping it clean looking and it scratched easily from fingernails, etc. I guess this generations' are tougher. All other trim, the doors, plastichrome, carpets, all looking good. Even the OEM floormats are hanging in there but I might treat the car to some new ones soon.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:33 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
Here's a couple of seat pics as asked for. Obviously there is a smidgen more wear on the driver's seat, but overall they look great. No scuffs, dents, wrinkles, or tears, just the slightest "stretch" marks on the outer bolster. As stated I'm pretty careful getting in and out.
It's noticeable also that the standard steering wheel is also doing fine. On my '06 Cayman S that had a sand beige wheel, it was a constant battle keeping it clean looking and it scratched easily from fingernails, etc. I guess this generations' are tougher. All other trim, the doors, plastichrome, carpets, all looking good. Even the OEM floormats are hanging in there but I might treat the car to some new ones soon.
Im VERY glad to hear, mtbscott. I plan on wish also to keep my porsche for the long haul, but im a bit different than you in that Ive always driven my cars to the ground :-)
Old 12-29-2015, 10:09 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by fester
Nice write up. Thanks. Keep the car.
It's a no brainer that anyone who can do their own maintenance should keep their Porsches until they get totally bored with the car, which clearly is not the case in this instance. The 991 is a great car which is not expensive to maintain as long as the owner has the time and inclination to do the work.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:03 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

modern cars , Porsche included , are a $$$ concern going forward due to their becoming " rolling computers " because of the scores of control modules that age from heat and vibration and slaved stepper / control motors that seem built by Playskool to last just long enuf where Porsche no longer has to cover it .....these things are not present in the well maintained / well loved high mileage vintage " analog" Porsche 911s you see at club gatherings

in your situation of being income restricted in early retirement , I would only keep it as a fair weather fun car ...not if it also has to be a daily driver ...your car is prob worth 40 k at most in trade due to miles and model , as same car with 25k miles is 50 k at most in trade right now and will drop further once the 991.2 base 911 shows up with 991.1S speed

keep it, and get a preowned reliable Subaru Impreza all season 5 door hatch - type car as a DD for under 20 grand - the brand has street cred among enthusiasts - since you will lose that amt in depreciation just driving the Mini for a couple yrs !
Old 12-31-2015, 07:01 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
I may be the first North American to run my 991 out of warranty by mileage.
Nah I ran out over a year ago, I had the 60k done in September. I also had the heater go (changeover valve) and my intake valve died too.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:03 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Nah I ran out over a year ago, I had the 60k done in September. I also had the heater go (changeover valve) and my intake valve died too.
How much did they charge to replace the change over valve? I see that being a perpetual problem with age.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:48 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
How much did they charge to replace the change over valve? I see that being a perpetual problem with age.
I agree, it was still under warrently then, but they made me drive around in a base Cayenne with the no-lumbar support seats for a couple days which was much much worse than charging money. The intake valve was $1k.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Wow, nobody has commented so far so I will:

1) you took a picture going 76mph in 7th on the highway? geezus.

2) Doesn't 3 times for the same problem with your AC without a resolution qualify for the lemon law?

Otherwise, congrats on 50k. Looks like you've gone to some great places during that time and hopefully many, many more to come!
I believe the point was that the car reached 50,000mi and not the speed

Yours "stating the obvious"

Happy New Year
Old 01-01-2016, 06:38 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 125 Posts

Congrats on your warranty running out.
Now you can get actual mechanics to take care of your car as opposed to a bunch of technicians who stare at computer screens for instructions and have to ask permission to change an air-filter.

Happy motoring..
Old 01-02-2016, 01:28 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by duxsi
Now you can get actual mechanics to take care of your car as opposed to a bunch of technicians who stare at computer screens for instructions and have to ask permission to change an air-filter.

Happy motoring..
I believe that each Porsche dealership is required to have at least one Gold Certified tech as part of their service team. These guys are highly talented. Of course I'd expect that most routine service work is performed by the techs with the lowest Porsche certification, Bronze level, but lots of Porsche owners perform their own routine maintenance without taking any Courses.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:54 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by duxsi

Happy motoring..
Great point. Got a good vibe from GMG in SoCal, taking my Benz there now that warranty is up & will do same for 911.

Quick Reply: My 991 is now out of warranty