Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 991 is now out of warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015 | 10:35 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Default My 991 is now out of warranty

I may be the first North American to run my 991 out of warranty by mileage. It happened a couple of weeks ago, 3 years, 1 month, and two weeks after I bought it new. It's a base Carrera with 7MT, premium package including 14 way seats, front and rear parking sensors, folding mirrors, sunroof, and power steering plus. Sticker was right at $92000, got it at year end price of $86000. For the first 14 months it was my only car and I racked up over 20K miles. In December of 2013 I picked up a used MINI R56S (my fifth MINI) to share duties, but for the most part I use both cars interchangeably. This is my second Porsche, first was an '06 Cayman S also bought new. I am pretty much a serial car buyer having gone through 30+ since I was 16, and 3 years is on the long side of ownership for me. I had everything dealer serviced up until the 40K service (picture below.) This is the one where the rear bumper cover has to come off to access the air filters. The dealer wanted $1400 for the service, a friend and I did it in 2 1/2 hours for $325 in parts. Oil change, spark plugs, air and cabin filters, inspections. I will miss the great treatment from the dealer and the nice Porsche loaners, but I will now try to do what I can myself, and farm out what I can't to an indy shop where my friend works.

The Pros:
1. The car is everything to me that the legend suggests. It feels like you're driving a bank vault, solid and a bit somber, but step on the gas and hear the glorious sound of the flat 6 crescendo behind your head. I like the extra intake noise that the Sport button lets in, and I think the stock exhaust is plenty sporty without droning or alarming neighbors. I have not tracked or autocrossed it, but have gotten to tackle some pretty serious winding roads around the country and state.
2. Porsches are meant to be driven. The Germans must secretly chuckle that their largest market mainly treats their cars like they're museum pieces. Reliability has been decent enough, ride and driveability is fine for either a daily or a road trip car yet has that sports car verve always lying in wait.
3. The car still looks like new inside and out. The standard partial leather interior still looks great, no wrinkles or wear. The paint still looks gorgeous. There's some patina on the front, no clearbra for me, but the quality of fit and finish is 100% befitting a car in this price range.
4. The Porsche community is great. From the dealer to the PCA, 90% of the people I've met associated with the brand are genuine and really love their cars. Their ideas on usage might not match mine, but I've only barely seen the stereotypes you might connect with this brand. There's some poseurs for sure, ironically most of them on the internets versus the ones I've met in person.
5. People love Porsche. There's some naysayers for sure, but for the most part I think the brand is admired by the general public, but considered attainable so you as an owner are treated differently that say if you were driving a Ferrari or Lamborghini. Just today I had a father and son at the gas station come up and ask me some questions about it, cool to think the kid can dream.

The Cons:
1. I had two recurring problems during warranty. One of them was a creaky sunroof. The dealer followed their protocol which means they started by just lubing it, and ultimately four trips later replaced the entire roof panel, framework, motor, seals, etc. The last time it spent two weeks at a body shop but it's better than new ever since, and the Cayman loaner was fine during that period. The sunroof was just cosmetic though...something I would not have taken so seriously out of warranty...but the other thing is kind of scary. My auto climate control has failed three times, fan just stops blowing at all despite all the lights, etc still functioning as normal. The first time they replaced the fan motor. Stopped working again and they replaced the control unit (brain) of the system. At 49500 miles it stopped again. I called in to make an appointment but by the time I got there that afternoon it had started working again. They kept it 3 days (Boxster this time) and even with PCNA tech support they basically could find nothing wrong. This could be really expensive somewhere down the line. Other than this, I had only one other unscheduled issue, the vbelt breaking at around 35000 miles, it's normally considered a 60K replacement interval. That is the only time it had to be towed in.

I used up two sets of rear OEM Goodyear F1 tires and one set of fronts at 40K miles. Replaced all four with Michelin Super Sports in the same 19" size and they're looking good at 10K. I have filter and oil for a DIY change which I will continue at 10K intervals per Porsche recommendations. It's been years since I've worked on my own cars and it feels good to get back to it.
Its future is uncertain. I'm nearing retirement at a relatively young age and there will not be anymore $100K cars bought after that. Part of me wants to be that old guy who shows up at the local gathering with the 20+ year old 911 that still looks new. There are plenty of previous generation cars with hundreds of thousands of miles on them, so no reason to think the 991 won't go the distance. Depending on where I end up living it could easily serve as my only car again, it's almost always cheaper to own one at a time even if its costs are higher. On the other hand, it hasn't been my nature to keep cars for long. The siren song of a new F56 MINI JCW keeps trying to lure me in. I could basically trade in both of my current cars and drive away a new nicely equipped JCW for free.
But everytime I get behind the wheel of the 911, hear the growl, snick the shifter into gear, I'm always reminded how much I will probably regret selling it. It is without question the best car I've ever owned.

The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (08-30-2020)
Old 12-28-2015 | 10:45 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

I hate to say it but I would rather have your Porsche with 50,000 miles than a brand new mini!
Old 12-28-2015 | 11:07 PM
BradB
Drifting

Great story! I've owned a JCW. It's fun, but trust me, the Porsche is much, much better. Keep it and report back at 100k!
Old 12-28-2015 | 11:16 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Great writeup! I love your color choice, your enjoyment of the car and your bravery at doing your own service to avoid the extreme gouging at the stealership!
Old 12-28-2015 | 11:22 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

That was a really nice write up on your car.

I have never owned a car as long as I've owned my 911 either ... I have to say nothing about this car gets old, it is really strange.

Like you said everything just seems tight and barely aging though mine has only considerably less miles then yours it is still over 3 years old and most of my cars over time seem age whether they have low miles or not.
Old 12-28-2015 | 11:41 PM
LnC993
Pro

After seeing seas of super low mileage used P-car in the market, it's refreshing to see someone actually not afraid of diving their 991 and rack miles. Thanks for the nice write up.

Last edited by LnC993; 12-29-2015 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-28-2015 | 11:48 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

my fan motor blew also, right after I bought my 9000 mile 2012 CPO. They replaced it, but I only have 4000 miles since then. Hopefully both of ours are fixed for good!
Old 12-29-2015 | 12:00 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

I drove my first 911 (1970 E model) to 223,000 miles. It was a tough, reliable, solid car. Now I'm on Porsche # 5 and they have been as good as any Toyota I have owned on maintenance/reliability.

Some days I am tempted to get a 599 Ferrari, then I hear about the $ 7K clutches that have to be replaced every 30K miles, the $ 4K brake jobs every 40K miles and the sure-to-fail shocks that usually go at 15K miles for $ 8K and I think.... The Porsche may not be as exotic, but they just don't have that kind of nonsense.
Old 12-29-2015 | 12:05 AM
carsnob
Advanced

I think you're right about owning one nice one vs two others. I'm going to bite the bullet one last time for a new order on a 991.2, sell my '08 4S cabrio and 2010 panamera w/ 60,000 mikes and warranty expiring...no regrets I hope but will miss the Panny!
Old 12-29-2015 | 12:09 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Wow, nobody has commented so far so I will:

1) you took a picture going 76mph in 7th on the highway? geezus.

2) Doesn't 3 times for the same problem with your AC without a resolution qualify for the lemon law?

Otherwise, congrats on 50k. Looks like you've gone to some great places during that time and hopefully many, many more to come!
Old 12-29-2015 | 12:10 AM
X2Board
Pro

Nicely done! I hope to get to that point some day. Like you, I'm a serial car buyer, and get the new car itch every 12 to 18 months, but there is something about the 991 that makes me think, I've finally found a keeper.
Old 12-29-2015 | 12:28 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

First, we're all brethren and I'm a 997.2 person; I don't have anything to add on the 991.1. But I just have to say that even though I am roady, THAT IS A REALLY, REALLY NICE MOUNTAIN BIKE YOU HAVE! ENJOY BOTH !!!!!!
Old 12-29-2015 | 12:31 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87

1) you took a picture going 76mph in 7th on the highway? geezus.
Wow. Live a bit of a sheltered life do ya?
Old 12-29-2015 | 12:34 AM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

What a gorgeous car! I hope you keep it forever. I've always loved Guards Red. That and GT Silver. I have a 993 coupe in Guards Red, which is probably the only reason I chose Sapphire Blue Metallic for the 991. Seeing your car convinces me that if I'm ever able to get another new 911 it will have to be Guards Red with a black interior.

Like you, I have an itch for a new MINI JCW. Unfortunately, I can't afford to scratch it. Maybe it will go away on its own, but somehow I doubt that. Nice bike you have!
Old 12-29-2015 | 01:45 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Very nice.

Quick Reply: My 991 is now out of warranty