Sponsored by:

Plastidip Removal and Touchup DIYs

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 09:19 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Plastidip Removal and Touchup DIYs

Hey all- I know that some of you who visit both this and 6speedOnline probably already saw this, but for those interested just wanted to point you all to a couple of blog entries I've made recently regarding my experience removing Plastidip from a wheel that was 'dipped for the past year, as well as general touchup and respraying.

I've posted videos on YouTube for both procedures, for those interested.

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2015, 10:15 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 140 Posts

Nice work as always!
Old 12-26-2015, 10:34 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Subscribed. Thanks for the great info.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:39 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

How do you feel about Plastidip as a temporary wheel protectant? I'm doing Euro Delivery and am thinking about an approach to protect the wheels there. Will nano coat them back in the States.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:10 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
How do you feel about Plastidip as a temporary wheel protectant? I'm doing Euro Delivery and am thinking about an approach to protect the wheels there. Will nano coat them back in the States.
Interesting question....

I have never considered spraying the wheels or other parts of my 991 with Plastidip just to create a protection barrier. But -- I've found that the dip coating can and does create a barrier.... fior example, I've found stone "chips" in the rubber paint surface that didn't make it through to the clear-coated surface of the painted wheel, so I would have to say from my experience the Plastidip acts as a protectant for sure!

I coated my wheels in matte black. But of course you could spray your wheels in any color, including clear, to protect them. The brake dust and other contaminants that would typically damage the painted surface of the wheel over time will have to make it through the rubbery surface of Plastidip first.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by plenum; 12-26-2015 at 11:11 PM. Reason: corrected typo
Old 12-27-2015, 12:37 AM
gbree
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
I have used it on my race car to keep the brake dust from caking up on the rims. As you may know, the brake dust from race pads can be very hard to get off of your rims. That said, the plastidip works very well as a wheel protectant.... Until the wheels get hot. At that point, it begins to melt/peel off. However, I doubt you will be getting your rims hot enough for that to happen, so I say go for it.

*if you're planning on hitting the ring, don't bother
Old 12-27-2015, 01:29 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by plenum
Interesting question....

I have never considered spraying the wheels or other parts of my 991 with Plastidip just to create a protection barrier. But -- I've found that the dip coating can and does create a barrier.... fior example, I've found stone "chips" in the rubber paint surface that didn't make it through to the clear-coated surface of the painted wheel, so I would have to say from my experience the Plastidip acts as a protectant for sure!

I coated my wheels in matte black. But of course you could spray your wheels in any color, including clear, to protect them. The brake dust and other contaminants that would typically damage the painted surface of the wheel over time will have to make it through the rubbery surface of Plastidip first.

Hope this helps!
Helps A LOT Thank you.

Originally Posted by gbree
I have used it on my race car to keep the brake dust from caking up on the rims. As you may know, the brake dust from race pads can be very hard to get off of your rims. That said, the plastidip works very well as a wheel protectant.... Until the wheels get hot. At that point, it begins to melt/peel off. However, I doubt you will be getting your rims hot enough for that to happen, so I say go for it.

*if you're planning on hitting the ring, don't bother
Will go for it Thank you.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:58 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

★★★★★½

Quick Reply: Plastidip Removal and Touchup DIYs