Sponsored by:

991.2 Steering wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 08:41 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 991.2 Steering wheels

From what I can glean from the Config, as of today, the choice of steering wheels is as follows:
Sport 375mm
GT Sport
Alacantara GT Sport
Mahogony Heated Multifunction
Carbon Fiber Heated Multifunction
So I would like Carbon fiber Heated Multifunction but haven't been able to determine if tthe Multifunction now come with paddles?
Also what is the preference in feel between Carbon, Regular and Alacantara?
Since I will be driving this vehicle in Wisconsin winters, heat would be appreciated but if the Carbon fiber is slippery compared to regular covering or Alacantara, that would be the deciding factor.
I also have the interior trim and shift selector in carbon so a carbon fiber wheel would match.
Any experience with these wheels or thoughts?
Thank you.-Richard
Old 12-10-2015, 09:18 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

These guys know a lot

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8991...-on-in-11.html
Old 12-11-2015, 10:32 AM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 440 Likes on 234 Posts

In the past you couldn't get a multifunction or heated sport wheel, so you had to get the regular wheel with buttons instead of paddles if you wanted those options. Now, it appears that that all the wheels come with paddles, and you can get the sport wheel with heating and multifunction options. As for carbon fiber, I would never get a performance car with a carbon fiber or wood steering wheel. I think both are too slippery. Also, the wheel will be partially leather and having had a luxury car with a combination wood/leather wheel, I didn't like the feel of two different surfaces as my hands were working the wheel.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:06 PM
budrichard
Banned

For a short time I believe the Config showed a Sport Steering Wheel with heating and multifunction options, that is now gone and the sport Steering Wheel is not available with heating and multifunction.
For steering wheel feel, I went with the standard heated and multifunction wheel which comes with paddles.-Richard
Now the Sport Steering wheel with multifunction/heating option is back back!
My Dealer confirms this.

Last edited by budrichard; 12-13-2015 at 06:26 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:28 PM
Keith Williams
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.2 Steering wheel

Might not be on the correct thread, but thought I would start here. I just got my new 991.2 S cab and somehow missed the option on the MF steering wheel and it is driving me nuts. Is there anyway replace the standard Steering Wheel with the MF steering wheel?
Old 06-13-2017, 10:45 PM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by budrichard
Any experience with these wheels or thoughts?
Thank you.-Richard
I have the CF MF wheel and love the way it looks and feels. It just gives the interior of the car an expensive/exotic look. I think it was <500$ extra over the regular MF wheel, so I thought it a bargain by P standards. I actually like the contrast in feel between the leather grips at 9/3 and the smooth CF on top/bottom. However I agree that it is very slippery and might not be the best choice if you plan to track your car often. Also, the CF can get HOT. Earlier in the week when it was 90+ outside I could only drive holding the leather portions until the AC cooled things down (might not be such big issue in Wi though).
Old 06-14-2017, 12:27 AM
akbjr
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the wiring is present for multifunction if it's not ordered from the factory. You could check w Suncoast but I am pretty sure you can go from multifunction to not multifunction but not the other way around.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:42 AM
bwiele
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a CF MF wheel in my GTS and I love it. Fully agree with Kuma's comments. Haven't had the super hot problem yet.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:44 AM
budrichard
Banned

Based on my Dealer's advice, I got the heated Multifunction Sport Steering Wheel and could not be happier.
I was advised that the CF or wood would be slippery for the track.
A year later, Besides keeping my hands on the wheel, during the Wisconsin winters, the heat sure is nice!-Richard
Old 06-14-2017, 06:47 AM
acey81
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I call BS on the carbon is "hot" suggestion. If you are holding the wheel correctly, you are touching leather and not carbon. All major exotic makers have carbon wheels. And this is even more true on track. Why would you hold the wheel att 12 o clock?

The carbon wheel is amazing and ties in with the carbon interior pack very nicely. Don't listen too much to the dealer.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:03 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by acey81
I call BS on the carbon is "hot" suggestion. If you are holding the wheel correctly, you are touching leather and not carbon. All major exotic makers have carbon wheels. And this is even more true on track. Why would you hold the wheel att 12 o clock?

The carbon wheel is amazing and ties in with the carbon interior pack very nicely. Don't listen too much to the dealer.
I have a carbon fiber wheel (991.1S) and the carbon is fine in cold and hot seasons. As a matter of fact, my heated MF CF wheel even heats the CF part quite nicely in the winter.

No problems with wear or cracking, either and the car is four years old, 18k miles on it. It looks brand new. No problem using it for AX, either - my hands grip it quite nicely!
Old 06-14-2017, 09:52 AM
bwiele
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

It's surprising to me how polarizing carbon fiber and Alcantara are as materials used in these cars...

I personally love them both in my GTS. But to each his (or her) own!

Quick Reply: 991.2 Steering wheels