991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for advice from my 911 brethren

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015 | 01:04 AM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

I agree the Volvo Polestar is an interesting option.
My Macan S was built as a DD with some comfort in mind and came in just a bit over 60k.
The beauty of the Raptor is that as a tool car, you can just go over curbs and a few scratches etc won't be a big deal.
Old 12-07-2015 | 03:27 AM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Keep during the S4
Wife drives ours with Michelin Alpin 4 all year
Never gonna sell it!
Name:  photo549.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  208.7 KB
The Quattro is great for her!
Old 12-07-2015 | 09:48 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

I just bought a 340i (not x) manual transmission, and it's quite nice. I left off the sports suspension and large wheels for a better ride, and I got what I wanted. If you want more of that M3 experience, then get the sport suspension and it will handle well and ride nearly as miserably as the M3, but without that stupid exhaust.

I've had an S5, and it's not nearly as stiff or loud as an M3. I think a properly equipped 340ix will meet your needs.

As mentioned by others in this thread, I had to order my car as it's nearly impossible to find a manual on a dealer lot. I had to recode the car to remove the rev-matching feature (it's really pretty good, but I prefer to heel and toe) but that turned out to not be a big deal. The BMWs don't have the sport differential feature that the Audis do, but Audi does that to compensate for the horrible understeer that they all have. No such issues with the BMW.
Old 12-07-2015 | 10:01 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

I should have read page 2 before replying. My bad.

Originally Posted by drsubie
I ended up test driving a X5 diesel about 3 yrs ago--and was shocked at how loud the motor was, how unrefined it seemed, and just overall how poorly it drove (on my brief test drive) for a >$80k SUV...
The new X5 (I think it was redesigned in 2014) is pretty darn nice, if you like SUVs. I found the diesel to be very quiet, maybe just a little noisy when cold.

Originally Posted by squid42
The thing with F30 series 3-and-4 series BMWs is that they all drive completely different, and there is very little connection to suspension or steering options picked. I drove 20 or maybe even more when shopping in 2014 and the unexplained differences are staggering. (I ended up in a e89 Z4 which is excellent in winter, I love it, but no storage) . . .
Whatever you drive at the BMW dealer, keep in mind that dumping the heavy wheels and the stupid runflat tires will improve it a lot from there.
The F30.2 (2016) supposedly has better steering. I haven't driven enough of the older cars to say for sure. I do agree that each car seems to drive differently. My new (2016 F30.2) steering is not great, but that's comparing it to the Porsche. I also have an E89. Squid makes a good point about the tires - the first thing I did with the 340i was to buy conventional tires and toss the old ones on Craigslist.

Originally Posted by hinckley
The B9 A4 ... Audi has already said that it will not be offered with either an MT or (amazingly) an S-tronic. It will only be offered with a pure automatic. That’s very disappointing
No kidding! bummer.

BMW’s xDrive is engineered primarily for foul weather traction.
Isn't that what you want in winter?
You can’t even get the enhanced M-suspension on xDrive models, even with M-Sport trim.
I didn't know that. Probably to maintain the high ride height.
It sure would make it easier if the 340 was offered with a nice Individual full leather interior.
I looked into that as a Individual order, and BMW said no, no, no f'n way. The interior isn't bad, but when you come from Audi there are some things that are a bit of a let-down. I will say though that the current iDrive iteration is worlds better than Audi's MMI.

Maybe you should look for a nice low mileage S4 to replace yours, since you like it so much and there's nothing else that seems to check all of the boxes? I bought my S5 two years old with 2K miles on it.
Old 12-07-2015 | 10:45 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

I have driven the volvo Polestar, I was not impressed,the transmission is from 15 years ago, for the same money around 60 k, CLA 45 AMG is a much better car overall
Old 12-07-2015 | 03:15 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MJBird993
The new X5 (I think it was redesigned in 2014) is pretty darn nice, if you like SUVs. I found the diesel to be very quiet, maybe just a little noisy when cold.
I like the X5, it's just a bigger vehicle than I want for the city. The Macan is better sized for me. fwiw, I think the current gen X3 is crap and will be replaced soon.

Squid makes a good point about the tires - the first thing I did with the 340i was to buy conventional tires and toss the old ones on Craigslist.
Agreed. The run-flats will go first. Funny enough, because it's a winter-only car, I haven't had the OE summer tires on my S4 in four years!

Isn't that what you want in winter?I didn't know that. Probably to maintain the high ride height.
That's my point about xDrive being primarily designed for foul weather. The 340ix M-sport sits higher than the 340i M-sport, whereas the S4 sits lower than the A4. I still want performance first, but with the confidence of AWD when it's needed. As I said in my OP, I have a hard time with compromise.

I looked into that as a Individual order, and BMW said no, no, no f'n way. The interior isn't bad, but when you come from Audi there are some things that are a bit of a let-down.
I know. A nice full nappa leather interior would go a long way to the look and feel of the 340's interior. Of course, BMW offers Individual 3-series in Europe but not here in their largest single market.

I will say though that the current iDrive iteration is worlds better than Audi's MMI.
Agreed. The latest MMI is better, but iDrive is still far superior.

Maybe you should look for a nice low mileage S4 to replace yours, since you like it so much and there's nothing else that seems to check all of the boxes? I bought my S5 two years old with 2K miles on it.
Well here's the thing . . . My current S4 will less than 35k miles by the end of this winter, so it's more that I'm bored and want something new (spoiled rotten 57 year-old kid that I am). Every 20-something year-old that I know is lining up to buy the car from me when I'm done. It's fully loaded, in pristine condition and has been meticulously maintained.
Old 12-07-2015 | 08:28 PM
PDX991
Instructor

First of all, I love this thread! I think about this a lot as well which is just weird but I love the hunt and I love cars so it's a fun thought exercise. I love MT too despite knowing the 3rd pedal is on its way out.

Entertaining new or upcoming vehicles that still have a MT and AWD: 991, 3-series, 5-series, 6-series (special orders only), Golf R, and Subarus. I think that's it, and it's kind of sad. Did I leave any out?

For a new winter car, I want four things: sporty handling, luxury, AWD and an MT. I think I can only get three of those four things and I’m not good at compromising. So as crazy as it sounds, I’m starting to think about two alternatives for next winter – an M3 or a Macan GTS.

The M3 will give me good handling, (pretty good) luxury and an MT. But I’d have to go back to RWD and after driving the S4 with snows for a number of bad winters, that’s not really appealing. The Macan will give me luxury, AWD and OK handling for a truck, but no MT.
I didn't see a backseat as a requirement. If that's not a requirement and you don't have a problem with a used vehicle I would consider an R8 or a 991! Or you could go old school and get a 997TT but not as luxurious. An R8 would be a fun and interesting winter car for at least a few years. You could also pickup a base 991 and enjoy the switch to NA GTS every summer.

And finally if you give up on the MT requirement then it becomes very subjective decision: SUV vs. sedan. The Porsche SUV's are impressive in how they handle, but they still feel like SUVs with their higher center of gravity. They are just the best handling SUVs I've ever driven and I give them kudos there.

AWD sedans without MT: Panamera or RS7 are your best handlers for luxury. Maserati and Jag are the best lookers (and maybe RS7).
Old 12-08-2015 | 10:54 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PDX991
Entertaining new or upcoming vehicles that still have a MT and AWD: 991, 3-series, 5-series, 6-series (special orders only), Golf R, and Subarus. I think that's it, and it's kind of sad. Did I leave any out?
I think you've got them all, except that the 5xi and 6xi are not available with a stick. As a matter of fact, I believe that only the M5 and M6 can be had with a stick. I am going to look at the Golf R this weekend. I've got a hunch it'll be a blast to drive.

I didn't see a backseat as a requirement. If that's not a requirement and you don't have a problem with a used vehicle I would consider an R8 or a 991! Or you could go old school and get a 997TT but not as luxurious. An R8 would be a fun and interesting winter car for at least a few years. You could also pickup a base 991 and enjoy the switch to NA GTS every summer.
I do like a back seat in my winter car, but it's not essential. The problem with the R8 and 911 is ground clearance. Within a two week period last year, Boston got hit with three 20-30 inch snowfalls.

AWD sedans without MT: Panamera or RS7 are your best handlers for luxury. Maserati and Jag are the best lookers (and maybe RS7).
I've gotten to the point where I just don't want cars that big and heavy anymore, especially in the city (I had a current gen MT M5 and hated it because of its size and weight). Otherwise, the S7 and RS7 would be at the top of my list. The problem is that when you go down to the 3-series/C-class/S4 size, you can't get the nicer interior appointments that are available on the 5-, 6- and 7-series. It's one of the reasons that I'm leaning toward the Macan - smaller exterior dimensions to maneuver around the city, decent handling, and a lux'ed out interior if you want to pay for it. But here I go . . . If I hated the handling of the piggish M5, can I live with the Macan??
Old 12-14-2015 | 05:59 PM
PDX991
Instructor

How was the weekend test drives?
Old 12-15-2015 | 06:53 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

How was the weekend test drives?
I drove the Golf R and it's a really cool car. Great handling, a lot of fun to drive and a surprising amount of interior space. Not very luxurious, but it's def on my list now. I also drove the MB C450 AMG. Yawn.

I took another look at the Macan and really do like the vehicle. Right after the new year, I'll start talking to my dealer about a July allocation and a September ED.

I'm also reconsidering waiting for the new S4. I love the one that I have. The new one is supposed to be a bit larger inside while maintaining its exterior dimensions and the one shown in Frankfurt has a beautiful new diamond stitched interior similar to the S7 and S8. If that car had a MT or even Audi's great DSG, it'd almost certainly be my choice, but AT only . . .
Attached Images  
Old 12-15-2015 | 07:43 AM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Joe, that's a really interesting alternative. But how do you get those cars? Are they in regular production or do they just build occasional batches?

Ha! Driving a Raptor through city alleyways laid out in the 1600s would be an adventure!
Hinkley,

They were produced in limited numbers, and only 52 dealerships in the US were selected to sell them. I put a deposit down for one of the first released numbered edition cars produced for 2015.5. They only brought in 80 wagons and 40 sedans for 2015.5. They were all sold out immediately.

It was such a hit, Volvo decided to do another run of 156 vehicles for the USA for 2016, WITH NO ADVERTISING. people don't even know these cars are available. That said, an Authorized Polestar Volvo dealer probably has a car on its lot. Marketing fail.

Interesting note, another multi sports car guy (GT3, Ferrari FF, Macan Turbo) just picked up the Polestar wagon, and has the same affection for the car as I. Yes, the transmission isn't a DSG or PDK, but is a great daily, that makes me giggle every time I switch it to sports mode.

After my track day, and staying on the bumper of my buddy's GT3, he wants to take the Polestar out for a long test drive.
Old 12-15-2015 | 10:27 AM
X2Board
Pro

You can buy my manual M3

I'll toss in a Rennlister discount, and a pair of barely worn "M" driving gloves.
Old 12-15-2015 | 01:32 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by X2Board
You can buy my manual M3

I'll toss in a Rennlister discount, and a pair of barely worn "M" driving gloves.
I love the MT M3. It's on my list (see OP). Here's the problem - I started driving RWD BMWs through northeast winters in 1984! But after four winters in the S4 with an awesome set of Dunlop WinterSports, it's really, really hard to think about going without AWD again. Hard, but not impossible . . .
Old 12-16-2015 | 12:15 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

For your concerns about the Boston snow get the new S4. The interior is amazing.

I'm a BWM guy. So I'd wait for the new M3 couple years from now. Maybe it'll have AWD. Of course ED all the way!
Old 12-16-2015 | 11:40 PM
GordyRay
Advanced

Stay in your Audi S4 for your winter driving.
My wife drives the S4, (her fourth one), just picked up the new one in Sept. The new model S4 will have a MT as my salesman just told me today that the choice will be DCT 7 Speed or the Manual.
The S4 Quatro is an awesome winter car. Everything is flawless.
My winter vehicle is a Ford F250. I have told many friends, if I could only have ONE vehicle, it would be the Audi S4.
Cheers,

Quick Reply: Looking for advice from my 911 brethren