Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer delivery prep - decline? or will I need paint correction either way?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 02:08 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 284 Posts

Feel free to treat your Porsche like what it is, an amazing car. Yes I said it, it's actually a car to drive and enjoy

Rennlist skews toward the eccentric (and sometimes militant) car nuts in the crowd. I tend to be one of those personally but if you're new to this forum you may not realize you're frequently getting an enthusiasts point of view that is offered as if everyone must do things rather extravagantly
Old 12-06-2015, 03:09 PM
fansonly
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by budrichard
Detailing et al is a waste of money in my opinion, unless you are just going to sit and contemplate your car.
touche! This made me laugh out loud. I don't have the car yet, so all I do is sit and contemplate my theoretical car. Its a habit I can't imagine will go away once I'm an owner...
Old 12-08-2015, 05:28 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 768 Likes on 404 Posts

We've specialized in Porsches for over 20 years and have always advised our clients to leave the new car prep to a knowledgeable detailer. Sometimes that person is a trusted detailer at the dealer you know personally, you, or a trusted detailer you know of or have a relationship with.

Bottom line, you don't have to be a concours nut to appreciate a proper wash, clay, polish, and wax on a new $100k+ car. Many of our clients bring in their new cars direct from dealer and do various things like nano coating, clear bra, tint, etc.

Paint correction isn't always needed, so that makes it even more important to have a qualified detailer do the initial prep. It only takes one wash with inferior products and/or untrained detailer, and you'll incur unnecessary expense to remedy a poor finish.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:52 AM
PatrickC23
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealer just emailed me, GTS arrives today and he actually asked me if I wanted it detailed. Since I am getting it clear bra'd and opti'd soon, I asked for just a simple wash and thats it.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:14 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,432 Likes on 827 Posts

Originally Posted by German_Saint
Y'all act like no one can clean a car unless you are paying $1,500. Come on guys- some people are actually really good at their job even at a dealer.
no, they aren't. The whole dealer model is to spend as little time and energy (read: $$$$) to get a happy customer. If the average guy doesn't notice the swirls, they will not put any effort into properly washing the car. Hell, most owners don't even wash the car properly, much less polish and such.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:18 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,432 Likes on 827 Posts

Originally Posted by jsalah

And this. Come on guys... For some of us buying a new Porsche is still a big deal and a family affair. It shouldn't be a terror-inducing experience. I'm all for due care and getting it right, but it's about balance... If I'm getting a new car like this, I'm taking the whole family to see it, we're having lunch after etc... It's an event!
I always wondered if people really enjoyed the pomp and fuss of the supposed luxury buying experience.

You ask me, the ideal buying experience:

1. have the paperwork ready
2. have the car ready (to whatever level you request)
3. I sign papers, hand them the check, they hand me the keys, and thats it.

I don't need the *** kissing, watching some ******** salesman try to explain all the options, the long drawn out nonsense, etc.

If I could be in and out within 30 minutes, that would be perfect.

As for taking delivery dirty with shipping wrappers? who cares, I bought the car, not the buying experience.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:46 PM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only let the Dealer Prep the car if they have a top third party pro come in who charges the dealer top dollor, when you pay Peanut's you get Monkey's (just a little Idiom from the tech industry). Further you want to see receipts and prior work. A Good detailor should have pictures on the internet backing up his work like they do is Southern and Northern California.

Quick Reply: Dealer delivery prep - decline? or will I need paint correction either way?