Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Base Owners- Are you happy with your car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 09:01 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I wrote, earlier, in part: I drove the base 911, and it just didn't do it for me. I drove an S and it seemed to fit me better...A year later I felt like I had overpaid for the whole thing, it was too much power.

Originally Posted by WCE
Fit your wallet better? This is really the bottom line, if you can easily afford the extra $15k or so for the S it will never be regretted. If you're already above your budget with the base car, no real regrets getting one of them either, especially with the 991.2 car!
For me, no, it wasn't a wallet issue. Any of these cars is way more than you can use on the streets, the way traffic is these days makes it difficult to have some fun, and the track days are behind me. And they (Porsches) are really expensive, and I just wasn't enjoying it enough to justify the money.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:10 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TrappistMonk
The base is all the 911 you ever need. I drive a 2015 base Carrera and I love it. It is too fast for the public road once you get it over 4000 rpm. The engine is beautiful, on the standard 19's the handling is fantastic. I have a glass sunroof, SD steering wheel, XM radio and heated seats and that's it. MT of course.

Coming from the Merc, you will miss the torque.

Regarding S vs base, don't forget that the 997.1 s had 360 hp ... so the base from now is close to the s from then. The 991.2 base has the same HP as the 997.2 S

So there will always be an improvement in HP, but the base 911 is perfect for me.
991s are noticeably lighter than 997.2s. 991 Carrera 19s will ride and handle better than S 20s. A 991.2 Carrera will have a lot more torque "under the curve" than a 997.2 S, and combined with the car's lighter weight, the 991.2 base should pull a bit harder than a 997.2 S...perhaps as well as a 991.1 S. I think the 19s on the Carrera make more of a difference than most people realize. They're just as wide as the 20s and they're lighter, so they have less "flywheel" effect. JMO, but they look better, too.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:54 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Either of these cars, base or S, are awesome drives and nobody needs any more power than the base car, but to say that the power of the S is not usable on the street and there's really no difference between the cars is nonsense. I'd hate for someone who's never driven these cars to make a decision based on such a contention and would strongly encourage the OP and other potential buyers to drive both and decide what's best for them. I drove them back to back when I was shopping and there was a very material difference in my mind between the cars, particularly in the area of midrange torque around town. And I use every bit of the torque and horsepower in my car on a regular basis, so I don't understand the logic that anything over X is overkill on the street. I have 450HP in my RS5 and you can damn well believe I make use of it all the time.

I have a Cayman S as well, with the 325HP 3.4 motor, and I can tell you that, while both are great cars, going from that to my Carrera S is pretty night and day in the power department.
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
2hot (03-16-2024), Larson E. Rapp (01-30-2024)
Old 12-21-2015, 03:36 AM
mgscarrera
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 base

It's a lovely car
I can take my kids to school in it and track it regularly-
amazing chasis rigidity, sublime 7MT and steering and balance
I enjoy hustling the 3.4L motor - in the 3.8 S car, the engine presence is more pronounced and power is everywhere - the 3.4 car is a joy to rev and hear it snarl -
suspension is very good, even on track, some dive and roll, but overall, very impressive right our of the box-

you cant go wrong with this car -
Old 01-27-2024, 05:32 PM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RichAA
I have a 2012 Carrera, Black / black, 7MT, 19" wheels, sunroof delete
Sport Design wheel, Bose, manual (4-way) seats
Full Xpel front clip

I love it. It has enough power for me, but I'm pretty tame on public roads.

Looks like this:

It is a true 911. Having come from a 993, I can tell you it is pure with enough everything.
The following users liked this post:
amg5872 (01-28-2024)

Quick Reply: 991 Base Owners- Are you happy with your car?