Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Base Owners- Are you happy with your car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 10:49 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Great thread, just went through this in the last couple weeks, actually. I was comparing a '13 base almost exactly like the '16 one configured in one of the above threads to a '14 S with very similar configurations. Both were 7MT.

My driving impressions were
1) the base felt great and for daily driving the clutch felt easier and slightly softer, something I thought would be important for traffic-laden commutes.
2) Ride felt slightly more compliant, (both cars had PASM and sport chrono, but S had PDCC as well), again something worth considering for daily driving
3) the S had more pick up and go that was noticeable on the highway.

Ultimately, I felt as though the there wasn't a tremendous amount of tangible difference in daily driving and would have been totally happy with the base car.

HOWEVER, the color combo of the S I was looking at did me in (along with some heckling from my buddies who were pushing for the S), so I opted for the '14 S 7MT in Agate Grey with Platinum Grey interior. I'm smiling from ear to ear and my only regret is I didn't get a chance to do this sooner.

My friend said it best. Get the car you want and don't look back. If you think you're going to have "s" envy then just get the "s". There're worse problems to have in life =)
Old 12-08-2015, 12:09 AM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrstep
I'm along the same lines - I wanted as pure of a "fun car" (it's not my DD) as I could get in a 991 - really loved the looks, it was the first recent one that really just left me lusting - and I really like that it's so different between low RPMs vs when you wind it out. It sounds fantastic and is more than fast enough when you get it singing, it's just not a torque monster down low. I went with the stock suspension while at it - I'm driving on back roads when I get a chance, and wasn't looking to add layers of electronic damping, magic inner wheel braking, or anything like PDCC - I was looking for the car to react at semi-reasonable speeds. If lap times were my top priority, I'd want all of those, but in that case I wouldn't have the MT either. And... I love it every time I have it out, and 350hp is plenty to get you into trouble quite quickly in any case.

It is special in red. Thanks for the great pic.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:39 AM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 26 Posts

+1 to all that has been said about the 3.4 positively. Just bought one CPOed after years of looking/trolling here. I have an 87 as well so my butt is adapted for lower hp cars.

While financials certainly played a factor (I really wanted those 6 piston calipers on the S, but you can get them at suncoast), the 3.4 to me is more fun to drive. It makes you work for your speed, and you spend more time getting there.

I really don't understand how sports cars in the future are going to be any fun when you can go 0-60 in 3 seconds with light switch like torque and have to let up before you lose your license. I mean it's just insane - look at the new TTS. This is why I think cars like Singers are going to become more prevalent - hp keeps going up (while speed limits remain the same) and is not a differentiator anymore. I think this applies for the track as well - unless you are truly racing you are just trying to win the "DE cup" (bragging rights) ... which means you will be going that much faster when you have your inevitable off. Not good.

Always more fun to drive a slower car faster, than a fast car slow...

Last edited by Maxhouse97; 12-08-2015 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-08-2015, 11:33 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Agreed, but I've been driving fast cars and riding fast motorcycles for 30 years and the rush of acceleration in a powerful vehicle never gets old. I look forward to driving my RS5 to work almost every day.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:18 PM
X2Board
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxhouse97

Always more fun to drive a slower car faster, than a fast car slow...
That has been my signature, from the day I took delivery on my '99 986. I've become spoiled by 400-500 HP turbo cars, since then, but I am looking to go back to an NA engine. GTS, or S, in this case.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:58 PM
Deadshot
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test drove both the base first and fell in love with the car. When I test drove the S I saw no reason to pay the extra money. To each their own.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:22 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TrappistMonk
The base is all the 911 you ever need. I drive a 2015 base Carrera and I love it. It is too fast for the public road once you get it over 4000 rpm.
I drove the base 911, and it just didn't do it for me. I drove an S and it seemed to fit me better, so I ordered one of those with the proper manual transmission, natch.

A year later I felt like I had overpaid for the whole thing, it was too much power that you can never use on public roads and wished I had bought more of a lower optioned base car. So I sold it.

BTW, FWIW, I've done thousands of miles on racetracks at HPDEs and time trials. Torque is great, high speed is great, but I always had more fun in lower powered cars. It makes you a better driver.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:36 PM
GTW4CG
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJBird993
I always had more fun in lower powered cars.
I'm enjoying reading this thread. It's mildly amusing to hear that my 350 HP Carrera 4 is a "lower powered car".
Old 12-08-2015, 08:09 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GTW4CG
I'm enjoying reading this thread. It's mildly amusing to hear that my 350 HP Carrera 4 is a "lower powered car".
I found an open stretch of road driving home today, I revved the car like a madman, the high pitched noise, something only a small engine can give at non F1 RPMs, just blasted me home with a smile. I did not want to get into the garage. 350 HP? More than enough for a light car with a light driver like me.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:15 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Update from the OP: So the few base cars I've been following did not pan out, condition, price, equipment, color combos, wheels just felt like a compromise. Now, I'm not exactly suffering with a Cayenne Diesel and the '14 E550 cabriolet, along with two other cars in the fleet, so I don't need to make a wrong decision. The wife is very supportive and wants me to get the right car to replace the Benz. This spring will yield one kid through college and another financial bump, so I will have additional flexibility.

I drove the base car and really liked it. It was very fun, if a bit busy. I drove a 4S PDK this past weekend and felt it met my needs a bit better, but I would prefer to wait until spring for the more expensive car. Another route may be to order (hope this isn't blasphemy) a 991.2. One thing is for certain, no matter which 911 we select, it is truly a special machine.

Please keep the comments coming, and many thanks to all of you who've shared their experience.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:49 AM
Vista6019
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 154 Posts

Love my base Carrera-have seat time in the C2S, C4S, Turbo and GT3---but the Carrera was in my budget and for the street is plenty of car...no disappointments so far.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:51 AM
Vista6019
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 154 Posts

I drove the base 911, and it just didn't do it for me. I drove an S and it seemed to fit me better, so I ordered one of those with the proper manual transmission, natch.

A year later I felt like I had overpaid for the whole thing, it was too much power that you can never use on public roads and wished I had bought more of a lower optioned base car. So I sold it.

BTW, FWIW, I've done thousands of miles on racetracks at HPDEs and time trials. Torque is great, high speed is great, but I always had more fun in lower powered cars. It makes you a better driver.
Amen to that.....
Old 12-09-2015, 03:01 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by 997s07
I walked into my dealership to test drive a manual GTS. Loved it. Drove the 'S' and didn't feel a bit of difference to the GTS. When analyzing the dyno curves you'll see the 'S' have more torque down low but less power on top. Even so, noticeable to me.

Then just for fun I drive the base. I wound it up as the salesman said it was OK. The base was much more alive, it felt like a 911. Not a torque monster but a true 911. Small engine, high revving, etc. No feeling robbing PASM, or that nonsense PDCC, it felt amazing. The revving was faster as well, no surprise given lighter pistons. The 'S' feels a bit more torquey but the base feels much more alive and is much more fun to drive to me. I've really spanked many 'S' cars with a base car (not mine) on the track. I was 10 minutes into wiring finds for the GTS at an out of state dealer but bought the base. Manual, revvy, lively, great fun. Just put coilovers on it and it's even more amazing.

Will buy another base in a year or so because I love the engine and chassis setup. Need to put the feel back into be suspension but that's another thread.

'S' envy? Never understood those thoughts anyway. All the above said, you must drive both to be sure. If you want the 'S' wait, prices will drop to fit your budget.
What he said! I had this exact experience with a base C2 with sport seats sunroof and no Pasm. If it only had a reasonable (ie lower) ride height I would have bought it. Great ride and lacking really nothing except heated seats

Then I drove the S, and the torque won me over - less shifting but I do miss the clean sharp reflexes of the base car!! They're all great cars really just different horses.

(If anyone is in the market, I found 2 great deals on amazing base cars!)
Old 12-09-2015, 05:31 AM
991 GT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the S. You'll be glad you did.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:03 AM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

I drove the base 911, and it just didn't do it for me. I drove an S and it seemed to fit me better...A year later I felt like I had overpaid for the whole thing, it was too much power.
Fit your wallet better? This is really the bottom line, if you can easily afford the extra $15k or so for the S it will never be regretted. If you're already above your budget with the base car, no real regrets getting one of them either, especially with the 991.2 car!

Quick Reply: 991 Base Owners- Are you happy with your car?