Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Base Owners- Are you happy with your car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 12:16 AM
worldattorney
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hawc

A black 991 that is taken care of and properly shined is just breathtaking...beautiful car!
Old 12-05-2015, 12:24 AM
hawc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kpmd2000
Interested in your last pics. How is a c2 in snow with snow tires??
Honest answer? It's okay. It's not bad. But it's not great.

I live in Toronto and I went with the Porsche recommended snow tires for the enormous 20" wheels that came with the car. They are performance snow tires (the only kind Porsche specifies for the 991) and with the crazy width of the wheels, 295 rear, they're decent. But not amazing.

On completely snow covered roads (like right after a big snowfall before it's been cleared) where you can't see the pavement at all it's a bit touch and go. On steep uphills if you come to a stop you can't get going again. If you're headed downhill you might not be able to stop.

But on roads where it's slushy or where you can see some pavement you're basically okay.

But anyone who has the Porsche OE recommend Michelin Alpine or Pirellis Sottozeros on their car who says it's amazing in the snow is lying.

It's okay, but not great.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:25 AM
hawc
Racer

Originally Posted by worldattorney
A black 991 that is taken care of and properly shined is just breathtaking...beautiful car!
Thanks! And it only stays this shiny for about 2 or 3 days max.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:32 AM
RichAA
Racer

And you've confirmed I need to swap out my clear tail lights for red. Thanks for the great pics.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:08 AM
305M3
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love it. I drove the S and GTS. Admittedly the S and GTS are amazing machines but for what I "needed" and wanted for the now, the base is an awesome car. I put in yellow seat belts and couldn't be happier. This will definitely hold me over until I can convince the wife to let me upgrade to a GT3...
Old 12-05-2015, 08:07 AM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

I was speaking with a friend yesterday who buys cars for a major dealer chain including Porsches and he told me that he does not buy manual cars because he can't get them certified if they have ever been over revved and he cannot tell that without hooking it up to a dealer diagnostic system. He also told me that despite that issue the manual cars will often bring more money than PDK cars. I might also mention that there is apparently a glut of cars coming off lease and prices are way down.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:57 AM
kpmd2000
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Honest answer? It's okay. It's not bad. But it's not great.

I live in Toronto and I went with the Porsche recommended snow tires for the enormous 20" wheels that came with the car. They are performance snow tires (the only kind Porsche specifies for the 991) and with the crazy width of the wheels, 295 rear, they're decent. But not amazing.

On completely snow covered roads (like right after a big snowfall before it's been cleared) where you can't see the pavement at all it's a bit touch and go. On steep uphills if you come to a stop you can't get going again. If you're headed downhill you might not be able to stop.

But on roads where it's slushy or where you can see some pavement you're basically okay.

But anyone who has the Porsche OE recommend Michelin Alpine or Pirellis Sottozeros on their car who says it's amazing in the snow is lying.

It's okay, but not great.

thanks! i had a 03 c4s that was a beast in the snow. no problems at all except clearance issues, but always felt solid with snow tires. I'm looking to repeat that with a 991 and thought i could get away with a base c2, but maybe not?
Old 12-05-2015, 02:45 PM
hawc
Racer

Yeah, I think AWD would make a big difference over RWD. Plus I'd assume your 12 year old C4S would have had smaller/narrower tires? 17"? I think the big problem with the C2 in the snow is the width of the tires. They're just massive and the Michelin or Pirelli snow tires are not that aggressive. Now if Nokia made a 20" Hakkapaletia, then we'd be talking.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:14 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Here's 6 minutes of a 991 (TTS) in the snow:

Old 12-05-2015, 03:53 PM
Caprzeland
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just sold my beautiful 2015 991 base.
2 reasons:
1) I made the huge mistake of getting the PDK. Even for daily driving and heavy LA traffic I was always missing the manual

2) low end torque is a joke especially for daily driving

I am now waiting for the .2 to test drive and then decide on my next P car
Old 12-05-2015, 04:23 PM
Gear Rower
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

I do keep the SPORT button permanently on though.
Always. I find rev matching and heel-toe-ing much easier with the increased throttle response of Sport mode.

I also tend to keep it out of Sport+ as I like to be in control of the revs (although the auto-rev-match is very cool).
Old 12-05-2015, 11:42 PM
hawc
Racer

Originally Posted by Caprzeland
2 reasons: 1) I made the huge mistake of getting the PDK. Even for daily driving and heavy LA traffic I was always missing the manual 2) low end torque is a joke especially for daily driving.
Huh. Feel completely the opposite. Come from 15 years of driving manual and I love the PDK. Would never go back to manual. Love using the paddles constantly. Totally happy with the amount of low end torque too.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:33 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Caprzeland
2 reasons:
1) I made the huge mistake of getting the PDK. Even for daily driving and heavy LA traffic I was always missing the manual

2) low end torque is a joke especially for daily driving

I am now waiting for the .2 to test drive and then decide on my next P car
I'm leaning in that direction. As klutzy as my Benz is in the curves (really just uninspiring) I've become a bit of torque addict with it's conservatively rated 443lb-ft at 1600 rpm. Plus our Cayenne Diesel has some twist to it.

Nothing worse than not being happy with your new car decision. Sorry the 911 didn't work out.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:38 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Hothonda
Here's 6 minutes of a 991 (TTS) in the snow:

2015 Porsche 911 Turbo S Review - YouTube
That was great. I have a hard time taking the CD out when it snows, but my avatar clearly shows it is not a garage queen. Thx for sharing.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:18 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by n8kruger
PJ
I got a base '13 with MT and am completely satisfied. I like the high reving character and purity without all the electronic aids. Could you go faster with more power and higher tech suspension? Sure. If money were no object I'd get a GTS and check every box. But the base car is completely wonderful and well balanced, including financially. It probably borders on too much power to be useable for the street, but maybe I'm just trying to wear out the P0's so I can justify a new set of Michelins. I guess a C4 would fix that too, but its not the driving experience I'm looking for.

I'm along the same lines - I wanted as pure of a "fun car" (it's not my DD) as I could get in a 991 - really loved the looks, it was the first recent one that really just left me lusting - and I really like that it's so different between low RPMs vs when you wind it out. It sounds fantastic and is more than fast enough when you get it singing, it's just not a torque monster down low. I went with the stock suspension while at it - I'm driving on back roads when I get a chance, and wasn't looking to add layers of electronic damping, magic inner wheel braking, or anything like PDCC - I was looking for the car to react at semi-reasonable speeds. If lap times were my top priority, I'd want all of those, but in that case I wouldn't have the MT either. And... I love it every time I have it out, and 350hp is plenty to get you into trouble quite quickly in any case.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 991 Base Owners- Are you happy with your car?