Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this the ultimate fully loaded (PTS) GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 11:57 AM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 80 Posts

I sold M-Bs for many years, if someone ordered a car that would be difficult to sell because of color or options we required a substantial and non-refundable deposit. Never remember having to keep a deposit. I hope SD Porsche had the foresight to do the same.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:13 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

A good example of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should"! Body color is ok. Combination, not so much, although of course it's all a matter of personal taste. This also happens when people order Ferraris, and can shrink an already small pool of available used cars. There's no need to order every car for maximum resale value ("resale red" in Ferrari land), but very "custom" combinations can be uh, polarizing.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:22 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
That is absolutely ridiculous that someone backs out on a custom order like that...I hope they made him put down a $10k non-refundable deposit.
Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Why would it be up to PCNA to set the policy on deposits? Wouldn't that be a dealer thing, and also maybe dependent on each state's laws that govern things like deposits?
Dealers may play fast and loose with the law in California or they may not! It really all depends on whether or not a Dealer is selling you the ordered car or brokering the transaction. If they are a broker, when you order a car they will require a "non-refundable" deposit but this may be against the law. See California Code Section 11736(c)

[It is unlawful for a dealer to ] "(c) Fail to refund any purchase money, including purchase deposits, upon demand by a consumer at any time prior to the consumer's signing of a vehicle purchase agreement with a selling dealer and taking delivery of the vehicle described in the brokering agreement."

Of course you sign a purchase agreement but the deal is not sealed until you take delivery of the vehicle. Technically, if a dealer is a broker and places "non-refundable deposit" on the purchase contract without mention of the taking delivery part, then it may be an illegal, unenforceable contract. Sadly, the law is never that simple. The text of the California statute describes the dealer as your "Broker" so they are a middleman in the sale. The definition of "Broker" is not provided so I wonder if a dealer might argue that they are not brokering the transaction but buying a built to order car from PAG (on their dime) and agreeing to sell it to a buyer. Also note that this section of the code (11736(e)) prohibits a dealer from being both a broker and seller at the same time. Alas, a blanket statement (NOT made by anyone above, just to be clear) that a dealer can or cannot keep your deposit (or that the deposit is not refundable) may or may not be true. I do not know if this has ever been tested in court, if it has it would be interesting to read the opinion.

Originally Posted by Ski Porsche
I sold M-Bs for many years, if someone ordered a car that would be difficult to sell because of color or options we required a substantial and non-refundable deposit. Never remember having to keep a deposit. I hope SD Porsche had the foresight to do the same.
Much of the contract language is statutory. If in the above, a dealer is considered a broker and not the seller, under California Law, then, The Vehicle Code (11736(b)) states that the deposit (refundable) may be no more than 2.5% of the purchase price. I suppose though that if the dealer is the seller then all bets are off and a different set of laws would apply, possible with a deposit being non-refundable as part of the liquidated damages a buyer would be subject to for breaking the contract.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:07 PM
GordyRay
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would get a TURBO S for that price.
I think he left out Sports suspension and center-lock wheels which was just mentioned above.
Been driving Porsches since 1979, never seen a car optioned like that. Amazingly different.
Oh well, still a cool GTS.
Cheers
Old 12-07-2015, 03:50 AM
Arcoril
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Since we're nitpicking, this car is totally missing the rear wiper. Also missing steering wheel heating, but that was only available with the multifunction wheel which this car wasn't specced for.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:37 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Arcoril
Since we're nitpicking, this car is totally missing the rear wiper. Also missing steering wheel heating, but that was only available with the multifunction wheel which this car wasn't specced for.
I know some fans have got to have the rear wiper. For me, it's a distraction from the car's fine lines as well as a liability (scratched glass if turned on accidentally).
Old 12-12-2015, 12:33 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiboy
Does nobody else think the red deviated stitching in an interior with electric blue painted bits is a little, uh, off-putting?
Yes. I think that red accents are always problematic. Most of the time yellow works better but is very rarely a choice.

Porsche decided that yellow stitching is reserved for some limited allocation cars, yellow brakes are reserved for PCCB. Random accent painting is not available with the 997.2. You can have yellow dials but the yellow tone doesn't match the exterior yellow.

If I am the target audience Porsche would be better off offering deviated stitching in choice of color, and why can't they just offer dials finished in exterior paint? And painted interior trim should at least be a choice between exterior color and whatever you used for exterior accents (e.g. for the lower mirror half).

I think the car we are discussing here is the natural result of messing with people's choices. It doesn't do anybody any good. Not the dealer, obviously the original owner didn't hold on to it, we here have a reaction that just doesn't match the expense and effort put into this car.

Quick Reply: Is this the ultimate fully loaded (PTS) GTS?