Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the current state of the 'engine stumble' issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 09:23 AM
Mechanic
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Gentlemen, in light of what you now know, I'm surprised that one of you hasn't proposed that you combine your financial resources and hire a lawyer to deal with this issue. And now is the time to do it. The last thing that VW AG wants to have deal with is yet another controversy involving allegations of emissions schemes and deficiencies in its Porsche division.

I'm not talking class action or any such stupidity that invariably results in the lawyers making a ton of bucks and the members of the class getting pennies on the dollar two years down the pike. But it certainly is clear (to me at least) that Porsche AG (and POA) will continue to ignore the complaints of the few until the company is sued and Porsche has no choice but to respond to complaints of hundreds of owners who are speaking with one voice. You need to file suit and initiate discovery proceeding to compel the company to disclose the workings of its emissions control systems.

It's past time for one of you to take the lead here. Lawsuits are expensive. Discovery is very expensive. However, you have a forum and you should be capable of devising a means on this board to fund your initial legal expenses. Until you do that Porsche AG will continue to ignore your complaints.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:03 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechanic
Gentlemen, in light of what you now know, I'm surprised that one of you hasn't proposed that you combine your financial resources and hire a lawyer to deal with this issue. And now is the time to do it. The last thing that VW AG wants to have deal with is yet another controversy involving allegations of emissions schemes and deficiencies in its Porsche division.

I'm not talking class action or any such stupidity that invariably results in the lawyers making a ton of bucks and the members of the class getting pennies on the dollar two years down the pike. But it certainly is clear (to me at least) that Porsche AG (and POA) will continue to ignore the complaints of the few until the company is sued and Porsche has no choice but to respond to complaints of hundreds of owners who are speaking with one voice. You need to file suit and initiate discovery proceeding to compel the company to disclose the workings of its emissions control systems.

It's past time for one of you to take the lead here. Lawsuits are expensive. Discovery is very expensive. However, you have a forum and you should be capable of devising a means on this board to fund your initial legal expenses. Until you do that Porsche AG will continue to ignore your complaints.

This may be the ONLY way to resolve this in addition to getting more info on what is causing the problem.

I've never seen a company so out of touch and having such little appreciation for its loyal customers. Customers who literally are in love with the brand and act as ambassadors.

The 991.1 GT3 engine swap debacle was too high profile. They didn't have a choice but to massage those owners with $10K checks and making sure they didn't ruin the reputation of their halo 911. These owners too will be thrown under the bus when warranties expire and 991.2 comes to the market as there still seem to be looming issues. There still have been engine problems with owners signing gag agreements to get the warranty work done. You'd think they disappear into witness protection.

This stumble issue in one that's very very low on their priority list. Down there with rattles and squeaks. Guys have to pull teeth to get warranty work done on parts that are literally a few hundred dollar fixes.

Nothing will be done until the pressure is put on plain and simple. I don't speak as one affected by the issue, but someone who could be at some point, and also have compassion for fellow 991 enthusiasts here.

Last edited by STG; 12-05-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:53 AM
one-rennlist
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zonian
Interesting article here re Porsche software to limit exhaust noise allegedly causing stumble:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ty-report.html
European Noise emission tests are done at 50km/h, then full throttle with a mike measuring the noise during acceleration. Swiss media replicated the tests for a BMW 340i amongst others and reported they don't accelerate at all at exact 50km/h and full throttle. Up the speed a bit, say 53km/h, they were incredulously so loud they'd failed the tests! See for yourself: http://m.srf.ch/konsum/themen/umwelt...ren-sie-selbst
Old 12-05-2015, 12:16 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Well.... I only have about 400 miles, but as I am in the break-in period, I spend most of my time between 2500 and 4000 and have not noticed a stumble. 2016 GTS.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:10 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
I'm so sorry to hear this issue is still prevalent. I decided a year ago in September/October '14 to take the $30,000ish loss on my X51 C2S and get my GT3. I know how frustrating this is to have no one a Porsche listen to you and simply think you are crazy. Good luck all.
The lone X51 stumbler lives!!
I hope you're still enjoying your GT3 and all its glory.
According to the imbeciles at PCNA, your imaginary issues with your X51 were all due to you apparently "not driving the car properly."

Couldn't make this stuff up if I tried..
Old 12-05-2015, 06:57 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 166 Posts

I wonder how many people had a normal car to start with, and how long it took the problem to develop.
Jim
Old 12-05-2015, 07:01 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Money2536
I'm so sorry to hear this issue is still prevalent. I decided a year ago in September/October '14 to take the $30,000ish loss on my X51 C2S and get my GT3. I know how frustrating this is to have no one a Porsche listen to you and simply think you are crazy. Good luck all.
I remember how great looking your car was, the detail posts etc. How long did it take for the stumble to develop? Do you know what happened to the car after your ownership? Hopefully you are not under a gag order to not answer the questions!
J
Old 12-05-2015, 07:36 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
I wonder how many people had a normal car to start with, and how long it took the problem to develop.
Jim
I think I noticed my issues maybe 2 months after getting the car back in the States. During the first week of Euro delivery I didn't notice it, that's for sure.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:33 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

If when I get my car in a few days and I notice anything, come trade time, I am sorry! I will go to something else. This is an issue that needs fixed not overlooked. I will go trade it in for another Viper if I have too lol
Old 12-05-2015, 11:36 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stratocaster69
If when I get my car in a few days and I notice anything, come trade time, I am sorry! I will go to something else. This is an issue that needs fixed not overlooked. I will go trade it in for another Viper if I have too lol
I doubt Vipers have any issues like this. You probably wouldn't be able to hear it anyway!
Jim
Old 12-06-2015, 12:45 AM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

I doubt Vipers have any issues like this. You probably wouldn't be able to hear it anyway!
Jim
Actually they don't hesitate, they just go. lol I never had any issues with my ACR, other than it road like a lumber wagon. I won't get another one, but I hope I don't get let down with a pause issue. If so, I guess a 911 turbo or a GT3 or a model A will work lol
Old 12-06-2015, 03:20 AM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always had a modest stumble as mentioned previously on here and the other forum... Severity very variable depending on the day... Tried all the recommended 'tricks' but to no avail.... Seems like a mapping/learning or sensor issue of sorts...

Since having another daily driver I now only use the 911 in 'fun' mode. Never use 7th gear or 'normal' mode and even warm up carefully in sports mode... Stumble is much less prevalent and often non-existent. Car is approaching 20k miles. Is it coincidence or does all that 'economy' mapping in 7th gear mess with the learning?
Old 12-06-2015, 11:09 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

My 2016 has 750 miles on it. No stumble so far.
My 2014 traded with 10,650 miles and no stumble issues
Old 12-07-2015, 10:39 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthboy
I disbelieve and still have a hard time driving the car because each drive just upsets me.
I'm just amazed that you still have the car!

Jim
My car (2014 911S MT) was fine initially and then developed the problem probably around 1000 miles or so. It either got better on its own or I got used to it, and I sold it with around 5K miles on it after a year.

Reading this thread makes me wonder two things:

1) Have we determined that it's unique to the 911, or does the Boxster do it as well?
2) Why would I ever want to buy another Porsche?
Old 12-07-2015, 11:34 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
I'm just amazed that you still have the car!

My car (2014 911S MT) was fine initially and then developed the problem probably around 1000 miles or so. It either got better on its own or I got used to it, and I sold it with around 5K miles on it after a year.

Reading this thread makes me wonder two things:

1) Have we determined that it's unique to the 911, or does the Boxster do it as well?
2) Why would I ever want to buy another Porsche?

Some of the affected folks actually like the car. But more importantly some of us can't or won't take a financial bath to simply rid ourselves of the problem, which can apparently appear at any time.

As to why I or anyone affected would buy another 911 in the near term? I have no answer to that very good question.

Quick Reply: What is the current state of the 'engine stumble' issue?