Sponsored by:

tire install mess

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 01:25 PM
scb
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default tire install mess

I just had my Pzeros replaced with Pilot Super Sports on my C4S. Just wanted some feedback on whether I'm being unreasonable--dealer left obvious glue/dirt where old balancing weights were along
with some scratches inside the wheel. Also the crests aren't on point with the valves. They are close but not spot on. I'm confident that My dealer will take care of but am surprised at quality of service. Am I being too picky?
Old 11-01-2015, 02:00 PM
hawc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Obvious troll post is obvious.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:59 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

If the dealer did that I would never go back. Not only should they point the crest at the valve stem, they are supposed to mount the tire with the name opposite the stem, and all the crests lined up straight. Although, for some reason they seem unable to keep things that way. Wheels look great when I pick it up, but then next day in the garage they are all different directions. Maybe they are not following the newer/higher torque recommendations?
Old 11-01-2015, 05:07 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should also test the air they used to inflate the tires -- they're supposed to fly in air from Stuttgart, not use local air. They might have cut corners here too.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:01 PM
scb
Advanced

Originally Posted by hawc
Obvious troll post is obvious.
I don't know why you would say that. I was asking for feedback to see if I was over reacting. Maybe you are
Old 11-01-2015, 09:08 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

The crests have two small holes in them. They sell a specific tool made for them to pop them off, or else you can use something like a coat hanger I'm sure. That way you can align them.

The glue left over from the old wheel weights is pretty tough stuff. Dealers usually don't try and remove it. When they put new wheels on, they have to rebalance the wheel. Old weights come off, new ones go on.

Scratches are probably from them using a screwdriver to pry off the old weights. Not cool leaving scratches on there, I'll agree.

One of those things, I think through before getting done to avoid these issues. Same as telling them DO NOT wash my car as part of the service visit.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:10 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,405 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by scb
I just had my Pzeros replaced with Pilot Super Sports on my C4S. Just wanted some feedback on whether I'm being unreasonable--dealer left obvious glue/dirt where old balancing weights were along with some scratches inside the wheel. Also the crests aren't on point with the valves. They are close but not spot on. I'm confident that My dealer will take care of but am surprised at quality of service. Am I being too picky?
Yes. Too picky. The old residue will come off with WD40 or a citrus degreaser.

Just rotate your caps to align the crests.

Scratches? Are you sure? That's unacceptable.

I always like the wheel lock bolt directly opposite the valve stem.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:20 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 310 Posts

Citrus degreaser = Goo Gone. Do it urself and save urself the aggravation and stress.
And find a more Porsche-loving tire shop next time.
Yes, ur installer coulda/shouda/woulda been more careful.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:40 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

My dealer left a couple of chips on the wheels on a tire change. Questioned him and the gave me touch up
Old 11-01-2015, 11:06 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,622 Likes on 1,059 Posts

3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover and a brass brush(*) is what you use on the sticky weight residue. No muss. No fuss. No scratches from screw drivers, razor blades, air-chisels ...

Yeah, citrus stuff will work, but the 3M takes 1/10th as long. Just did this tonight on my loose wheels with new snow shoes.

If you are super-**** retentive, you dismount your wheels, remove the old weights, clean the sticky off, and then take them in your parts-chaser vehicle to the shop for new tires.

(*) For non-painted wheels. A tooth brush with the 3M is probably best for painted wheels.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:16 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

I don't think the op is either "troll" or is "too picky"...what's wrong with this forum now?? I had my dealer order new Porsche Crests for the wheels after I noticed that pointed side of the crest isn't facing the valve stem after tires replacement and these were freely rotating. The dealer should take care of it.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:10 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

they should have 1) used the universally used plastic spatula wheel weight scraper to prevent any scratches and 2) quickly and easily removed any adhesive residue with generic brake part cleaner poured on a red shop towel

even the cheapest no name tire shop operations with 19 yr old minimum wage workers do that !

( good luck , though, having any dealership tech automatically 1) index the locking wheel bolt or the wheel emblem relative to the valve stem or 2) torque with a manual wrench to final bolt tightening spec vs a quick slam of an air impact wrench , unless requested on the work order )

My specialty shop does all that as a matter of training on all cars but they are not constantly peer-compared like dealership techs who are trying to finish well ahead of the " book rate " ( especially on warranty repairs which pay by a flat " book rate " whether you are over or under time allotment ) so that they ( and their service manager who drives this main dealership profit center) can later be rewarded with performance bonuses .

As a result , they cut corners and minutes as much as they can for every / any job on their work schedule

Last edited by MKW; 11-02-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:07 PM
scb
Advanced

Thanks everyone for the input (except for being called a troll). My detail guy tried everything (he claims) to try to get rid of the glue and was unsuccessful. My dealer has said whatever they need to do they will make me happy.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:16 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

You're talking about glue and scratches on the inside of the wheel behind the spokes or on the outside? If inside, I think you're being too picky unless the scratches are just ridiculous. I never expect my tire changer to clean the wheel afterward. I do it the next time I wash. And regarding the glue, have you tried Goo Gone? I've yet to find anything short of epoxy that it won't loosen up.

Regarding the crests, I never even knew they lined up with the valves. Not sure why that would matter.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:33 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 320 Likes on 193 Posts

If it was a Porsche dealer you are not being too picky- as you paid a stiff premium for the work. Your mileage at other shops will vary, with their reputation aspirations and management.

Scratches and residual goop left on seem to be in a different class from valve stem alignment, or at least at a higher level of pissedoffedworthiness.

Quick Reply: tire install mess