Sponsored by:

Driving gloves yes or no

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 11:06 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ibmiked
I always enjoy these threads about keeping alcantara clean. To date no one has ever shown me a picture of 'dirty' alcantara. Europeans buy a much larger percentage of cars with fabric interiors than we do here in the states. I wonder if they wring their hands in worry that their interiors won't hold up as well as leather? Alcantara is a FABRIC like any other and it can be cleaned like any other. If you dig ditches for a living and then drive your 991 home without washing your hands then YES you are better off with a leather steering wheel. Otherwise, just chill.
There are two types of people, no disrespect. I do farm and my hands naturally sweat bad. I don't grease a combine and jump in a car and drive it. But my hands naturally perspire.

I am OCD and like to keep my stuff looking nice. Alcantara does get dirty, especially on a steering wheel with oil or sweat from hands on it all the time. It can be cleaned, but its not any fabric. Doing it right takes a special cleaner and a bit different technique to keep it looking right.

Us picky people don't care what the Europeans do. Instead of wondering what they do, ask one
Old 11-05-2015, 11:06 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

I always enjoy these threads about keeping alcantara clean. To date no one has ever shown me a picture of 'dirty' alcantara. Europeans buy a much larger percentage of cars with fabric interiors than we do here in the states. I wonder if they wring their hands in worry that their interiors won't hold up as well as leather? Alcantara is a FABRIC like any other and it can be cleaned like any other. If you dig ditches for a living and then drive your 991 home without washing your hands then YES you are better off with a leather steering wheel. Otherwise, just chill.
There are two types of people, no disrespect. I do farm and my hands naturally sweat bad. I don't grease a combine and jump in a car and drive it. But my hands naturally perspire.

I am OCD and like to keep my stuff looking nice. Alcantara does get dirty, especially on a steering wheel with oil or sweat from hands on it all the time. It can be cleaned, but its not any fabric. Doing it right takes a special cleaner and a bit different technique to keep it looking right.

Us picky people don't care what the Europeans do. Instead of wondering what they do, ask one

Old 11-06-2015, 07:40 AM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't mean any disrespect, I meant that it isn't fragile and can be maintained or it wouldn't be used in an application such as a steering wheel where it constantly comes into contact with human hands. It is used by Porsche Motorsport for it's properties (including durability) and they don't baby those cars...
Old 11-06-2015, 11:25 AM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

I didn't mean any disrespect, I meant that it isn't fragile and can be maintained or it wouldn't be used in an application such as a steering wheel where it constantly comes into contact with human hands. It is used by Porsche Motorsport for it's properties (including durability) and they don't baby those cars...
We are good and I understand your point now. Nothing like the feel of mouse fur. Lol
Old 11-06-2015, 03:22 PM
dethred
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wear them all the time. You can laugh at my gloves, and I'll laugh at your steering wheel having more gloss than your paint after only a couple years.

I take my shoes off when entering my house, too.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:41 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dethred
I wear them all the time. You can laugh at my gloves, and I'll laugh at your steering wheel having more gloss than your paint after only a couple years.

I take my shoes off when entering my house, too.
I am exactly the same way lol. No gloves, but I haven't got the car yet lol. Dec15 I will see it. But I do take my shoes off as well and its my rule for all. Carpet looks brand new
Old 11-06-2015, 05:09 PM
Deadshot
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wear driving gloves. Don't care what others think, I like the way they look, and keeps oils from my hands getting on the wheel.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:39 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never worn driving gloves since a dork in my college fraternity back in the 1960's, who was a dead-ringer for Pee Wee Herman, put Michelins on his six-cylinder Ford Falcon then bought driving gloves to handle its new found corning ability. He also smoked Virginia Slims . . .
Old 11-06-2015, 06:23 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Last edited by Hothonda; 11-06-2015 at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Driving gloves yes or no