Warranty Claim Denied; any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 12:21 PM
Verinnal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warranty Claim Denied; any suggestions

Hi all,
After picking up my '14 TTS from service, where it stayed for two weeks due to problems with the way a previous dealer had performed recall work, my car was returned to me without them fixing another issue that I had pointed out. A vertical stress fracture has appear inside my side scoop duct, and they claim this isn't under warranty. There are no signs of debris impact, and the more I drive the car, the worse the crack gets.

The dealer tells me that this has been denied by the greater NY regional manager. After phoning PCNA, they told me that they have no control over this and this is in the dealer's hands and in the regional manager's hands. I'm likely going to take the dealer to small claims just so I don't need to deal with going through PCNA and so I can get this resolved quickly. I'll let them recoup their costs through Porsche.

Prior to me doing this, does anyone have a similar experience that they worked through, and any suggestions for how to get this done without filing a claim. It looks like it's a $200 part that would likely take 2.5 hours to fix if they take their time. Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
-J

Last edited by Verinnal; 10-31-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:26 PM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

On what basis do you believe that it is a warranted item when the dealer and Porsche said otherwise?
Old 10-30-2015, 12:39 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,395 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Ask for a face to face meeting with the Porsche regional rep.

Go to another dealership.

Go back to your selling dealership. You might have more leverage there and more sympathy.

Small claims really?? Your time is worth more than $500. Worst case scenario by the $200 part and ask a Rennlist or to help you put the part it.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,861 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I'd push it up the chain of command and ask for a better explanation, but, is it really worth going to small claims over a $500 repair? On a TTS?
Old 10-30-2015, 12:55 PM
Verinnal
Racer

You're all right, monetarily, it's actually not worth my time. I can also install the part myself. My problem is just having dealers turn up their nose at problems that they should address. I believe that making an issue of it is the only way it will push dealers to be more responsive to their customers. I'm actually a bit surprised that you all would be ok with a dealer denying repair on cars this expensive. I'm picking up a new GT4 from the dealer in December, so I would imagine they want repeat business as well as repeat service business . Isn't service a cash-cow for most auto dealers?
Old 10-30-2015, 01:02 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Picture? Which dealer?

Dealers won't replace any items under warranty without reimbursement. I'd blame PCNA more than the dealer.

GT4? What does the dealer care? They have 10 guys behind you wanting one. I know pretty dumb on their part, but you have to think like most of them.

They're like crack heads. Just looking for the next day's fix without worrying about repeat loyal customers and future sales. Not all dealers, but I'd say 70% of P dealers.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:22 PM
Mark FM
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Amen to that STG991 - Porsche dealers in our area could care less about customer loyalty and building long-term relationships with customers. I have tried 6 different times to buy various 911's from my local dealer and I always get a far better deal going to more distant dealers! I am not unreasonable in the discounts that I try to negotiate; at 5 - 7% off, I would have bought all 6 new cars from them! I always give them first shot, but the management of the local dealership could care less! What I really enjoy is when they tell me that they are way down the list on allocations - perhaps if they were nicer to potential customers in their area, they would sell more cars and earn larger allocations! Hey guys, there is a cause and effect here!!!

Last edited by Mark FM; 10-30-2015 at 01:24 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 10-30-2015, 01:28 PM
STG
Race Director

^^^^ Mark FM, you're thinking like a logical businessman. That's the problem. If I was your local dealer and interacting with you, I'd be asking myself what can I do to earn his business and where have I gone wrong? I'd have a standing 7% discount for you and call it a day. No BS back and forth.

Yes, more sales = more allocations. Very easy concept.

Many dealers in affluent areas of the country refuse to really negotiate anything taking advantage of their market. There's an arrogance there. They think the discounting dealers (God forbid), are tarnishing the prestige of the Porsche brand. Quite bizarre. Wait until the next recession and see how they'll be scrambling for sales. It's not too far off.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:38 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,142 Likes on 685 Posts

While I am on your side, to play devil's advocate, what makes you think that the stress fracture was not caused by normal wear and tear? A rock could have hit your scoop under normal driving, and honestly would not expect Porsche to fix such things. Don't get me started on Porsche customer service, but in this instance, they may be justified. You may actually be less aggravated by buying the piece and installing it yourself. Personally, I'd be happier fixing it myself than leaving it up to them.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:41 PM
LexVan
Banned

Make a comprehensive claim with your car insurance.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:46 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by LexVan
Make a comprehensive claim with your car insurance.
I avoid any claims of not that expensive with my company. With my cars, if it's anything under $1,500 or so (depending), I'd rather pay if myself than screw up my great rates. I'd rather save it for the big stuff. At under $600/yr for my 991S, I'm keeping quiet! Same low rates for my other cars, plus bundled with home, etc..
Old 10-30-2015, 01:50 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by STG991
I avoid any claims of not that expensive with my company. With my cars, if it's anything under $1,500 or so (depending), I'd rather pay if myself than screw up my great rates. I'd rather save it for the big stuff. At under $600/yr for my 991S, I'm keeping quiet! Same low rates for my other cars, plus bundled with home, etc..
I don't think a comprehensive claim would affect your rate. Collision yes.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:02 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,965 Likes on 1,387 Posts

Those pop-in ABS air scoops can and will crack if someone pulls on them incorrectly in an attempt to remove them. Perhaps somewhere along the line some person tugged on yours.

While you can sue anyone for anything, you have to prove that the part was defective in order to prevail. How do you intend to do that? I've been to Small Claims so many times I can't count. Just because you feel wronged does not make it a winnable case. Courts run on facts, not moral righteousness. I don't think you have a case, personally.

You can glue up an ABS crack to where you will never see it. Remove the scoop, glue and clamp, when dry put it back in. If you do it right it will be invisible.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:05 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,861 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Life's too short. What's that old saying about God granting me the serenity...
Old 10-30-2015, 03:19 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

The OP is obviously pursing this solely based on principle, and good for him for doing so.

I for one do not blame him - but as others have suggested I would take it up in person with the regional PCNA rep.
If my car was in a dealership service bay for 2 weeks (for recall work that was not performed properly by their dealership network), the LEAST you can do is replace a broken part. It's called courtesy.

Even though wear and tear can be rather subjective, if I had a cracked plastic part with less than 2 years of ownership, would it really be so unreasonable to expect the dealership to replace it?

Most dealerships seem to think that money is no object to their customers - an assumption that couldn't be further from the truth. Perhaps this is fueled by the bravado that I sometimes witness while waiting for my car.

As is the case here, it isn't always about money..

Quick Reply: Warranty Claim Denied; any suggestions