Hold Function

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 01:11 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 911sccab
Porsche's HH sucks.
The HH in the Targa is revoltingly intrusive. It needs a defeat button. Oh, as does the "have to have your foot on the brake to release the parking brake" nanny. I'm releasing the brake so the car will move, why should I have to apply the brake? Grrr.
Do you have your seat belt on? Or door/frunk open? If you have one of those conditions, then you need to press your brake pedal in order to release the parking brake. A safety feature I supposed.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:43 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

If you go forward with your seatbelt on, the brake releases automatically. I enjoy this same high-tech feature in both 2003 and 1978 (!) Mercurys.

But, if I leave my garage going forward I have to crash through the wall and my car doesn't have one of those invincible clear bras on it, so I generally back out of the garage. I have a hard time turning my head and looking backward with the seatbelt fastened, so I generally don't fasten it until I'm ready to go forward.

So I'm generally annoyed with this "safety feature". But I do love the car! Just wish I could defeat a couple of nannies.

If I'm not mistaken, my '83SC will start without even pushing the clutch in... its almost lawn darts !
Old 10-22-2015, 05:35 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

^^^ Lawn darts...what a great reference. My Mom threw them away when she saw that my brothers and I were tossing them up higher than our house's roof line.

I'm with the general chorus of voices here that I at first HATED the HH on my 997.2 Targa. I didn't know what the heck was happening and stalled the car a couple of times before laying rubber when it first reared its head on a steep parking exit ramp in San Francisco. Then I was pissed that I couldn't disable it, then I learned to live with it, then grew to kind of like it. It seems like basically the same programming in my GTS, but I don't yet have many miles on it.

While I agree that it'd be nice to disable through the PCM or something, I'd probably now leave it switched on. It works a little better in my MT '14 435i.

Incidentally, I find that 40k miles or so of driving MY cars with HH has kind of screwed up my reflexes when driving my 993, a side effect that I'm not particularly happy about. Where once starting on a hill with no e-brake use was completely natural, I now find I have to think about it a little when driving the 993.

High quality problems in any case.

Quick Reply: Hold Function