Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving In Sport Plus

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 06:59 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

"From this data, the PSM system can undertake preventative action should the car start understeering or oversteering. If the front end starts to slide, the PSM light will start to flash and the inside rear wheel is braked automatically to help the car turn tighter.

Conversely, if the rear end steps out, the outside front wheel is selectively braked to provide rear end stability. In Sport Plus mode, the PSM threshold is increased, allowing a greater slip angle to be achieved."

https://www.total911.com/technology-...ty-management/

So as I said I don't want to invite a slide I don't want to take.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:11 PM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AlBinVA
I believe that sport + minimizes the "nanny" effect found in PSM. I am not sure to what extent though. If anyone has a good answer on that, please chime in.
Guys I drive in Sport plus on track, PSM is non - invasive other than in extremis and thats when pushed very hard e.g. going through sharp corners (>90degrees) at +60mph or dropping down from 140mph into a 90 degree right hander and caning the riffle strip on exit These cars have very high grip levels.

Gary Jr - you're good to go with sport plus on public roads - sure the threshold is lifted (but its always there) but you will be nowhere near that.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:45 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by randr
Gary Jr - you're good to go with sport plus on public roads - sure the threshold is lifted (but its always there) but you will be nowhere near that.
Ok but still not sure why I would when Sport will do me.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:30 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Ok but still not sure why I would when Sport will do me.
Because in all the ways that Sport is better, Sport+ is more better.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:45 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Because in all the ways that Sport is better, Sport+ is more better.
opinion + increased propensity to slip and slide is a negative IMO.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:04 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Canefan
I've got a 991.1 Base with PDK and PSE. I drive almost exclusively in manual mode unless in bumper to bumper traffic which is the new reality here in Atlanta with the interstate collapse we experienced last week

My question is this...what tangible benefit, other than sound, does one gain in everyday driving in manual mode when switching between Normal, Sport, and Sport Plus? I notice when idling, if I engage Sport mode the engine idles slightly higher and the throttle is supposedly more responsive, but I'm not sure I can really tell the difference. Sport Plus tightens the dynamic engine mounts and the manual PDK shifts definitely slam into gear more abruptly under hard acceleration, but again, there's not much benefit in daily driving if you like to manually shift your PDK. My conclusion has been that if you like to manually shift the PDK, it really doesn't matter what mode you're in on the street. The clear benefit to those modes are apparent only when the PDK is in Auto mode and the shift points get more aggressive. I tend to drive in Sport mode, but it's mostly because the PSE is automatically engaged and I get the pops and gurgles from the PSE. The car does not really seem to accelerate faster than normal mode.
With the .2 TT, besides the obvious shift logic, in Sport Plus the car will breathe air into the turbochargers to keep them moving whenever possible. I was quite surprised the first time I saw 1-2 psi of boost while I was engine braking with my foot off the gas hovering over the brake. The spooling behavior doesn't happen in sport or normal mode. I also don't know if that's a feature of all turbocharged 991.2s or if it's just for the TT/TTS models.

I usually drive in sport and auto mode when commuting or taking the kid around and manual mode when I want to have a bit of fun. Sport plus with manual shifting is even more fun but I tend to get going a bit too fast and aggressive for the street when I run the car that way. I have to respect the other drivers on the road.

Strangely, I also get myself into trouble when in normal mode - I don't think I'm going fast because the RPMs stay so low and the car is puttering along, but then I often look down at the speedometer to see I'm going 10-20 mph over and not even enjoying it!

I typically set the PDCC/dampers to normal/comfort mode when on winter tires and sport mode on summer tires.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:10 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Sport+ is there to get the car to use it's maximum capability. I love it on twisty back roads with no other traffic. Otherwise I usually run Sport mode. I also almost spun the car out in Sport+ but the PDCC and my counter steering brought it back. Got my attention! Granted it was a cool day on summer tires and I hit a damp patch. But in warm weather on dry twisty roads Sport+ is so much fun.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:31 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

If you don't exceed the performance capability of the car, you won't slide. In my opinion, I'm not a big fan of the whole full throttle in every corner and let the car figure out how to keep you alive thing. In my opinion it seems like that teaches bad driving, better to let it slip a little as it saves you to give you a heads up you went too far.

In my opinion there is actually one downside to Sport+ in auto mode, but I think if you're driving a PDK 911 around in auto mode all the time you should sell it and get something else.

But that's just like, my opinion, man.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:12 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

A 911 PDK in Sport+ is still very chill compared to dragging a knee at the track on a sport bike and trying to find the limit. My last road bike had traction control so you could do that full throttle out of the corner hijinks and have a lot of fun, but all bikes before that were no rider aids. No more of that for me. I still ride bikes, but pavement scratching is with the 911. Much nicer to have a little snap oversteer compared to hitting the deck on a bike.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:37 PM
AFX1
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.1 GTS MT, Traveling from Charlotte to Atlanta, I-85;
Normal about 29.5 mpg
Sport+ about 26.5 mpg (encourages faster travel - subjective!)
Previous .1 C2 MT about 30 mpg
Long runs in Sport+ are more wearing on an old body and a sport exhaust provides the music either way.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:49 AM
J.Ho
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do sport mode always cause i like the pops and gurgles. I wish sport+ did it !
Old 04-12-2017, 09:31 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dewinator
If you don't exceed the performance capability of the car, you won't slide.
Right, the trick is knowing where that line is. Maybe on a track or parking lot but I will not be looking for it on the Tail of the Dragon.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:55 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

On my 991.1 TT I found I rarely ever used Sport+ on the streets or highways for the simple reason in auto mode it would hold the shift rpm to almost redline even with gentle throttle. Even when I would manually upshift to drop RPM, the car would invariably drop a gear to hold rpm's high... Very annoying.

So in my 991.1 TT... Sport mode was my "go to" button on start-up every time.

I've heard in the 991.2 PDK that Sport+ has been reconfigured to make it more liveable during daily driving. This would be a positive improvement IMO.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:32 AM
vincenz0
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 61 Posts

I just got done driving my new-to-me 991.1S for 10.5 hours straight. One thing I noticed even just under normal driving conditions is that in Sport or Sport+ mode, after engaged for a few minutes, the oil temps drop from around 220F to around 190F.

Is this just because the spoiler is up in those modes or does the oil run through any additional coolers or anything when in Sport/Sport+?
Old 01-07-2019, 02:37 AM
vincenz0
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 61 Posts

Ahh, sorry answered my own question by searching the forum:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8912...mperature.html

Yes, add'l oil cooler.

Quick Reply: Driving In Sport Plus