Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official waiting room for those with a new 991.2 on order --- come on in !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 02:18 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

if you were doing a targa GTS or 4s I would say that would be an interesting decision...but GTS coupe vs standard targa Id go GTS. It's ballistically quick and just has that extra whoa factor IMHO.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:50 AM
Icebreaker
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Sim
Need a little advice here:

Im going to order my first 911 and I'm unsure if I should go with the GTS, or the Targa 4 (non S). Both come out to the same amount of $ with the options I want, so im torn between the 2.

I live in Canada, so I have 4-5 months of 'non Targa weather'.
I like convertibles and coupes, so the Targa is a perfect happy medium. The downside is 'only' 370hp.

As for the GTS, I like raw speed and 450hp is hella fun! I know I would love this car.. BUT, do I really need all those extra hp, and will they just get me in trouble w/ the cops lol.

Both are obviously stunning and I would want them to match my current Macan (White on Red with HGB accents).

Here is what I came up with for the 2 spec's..

Any Pros/Cons and any help w/ this would be greatly appreciated.
Im sure there are many owners of each of these beauties here..

Thanks~
Strange as I had the same thoughts... just ordered my first Porsche. I always wanted a Targa and just ordered the base. It is heavily optioned and came in around the same price as a GTS.
A GTS showed up on the dealer's lot and it was sitting really pretty. What was I thinking? GTS territory and GT3... for a base Targa? Then I thought back to what my initial intentions were... fulfilling my life long dream. 370HP for street use is enough. I test drove "base" and "S" models on a track one Saturday morning. The S had more power down the straight; but the base was really fun! It was also my first time back on a track in thirty years. To be honest, I am not going to track this car, so why was I compelled to agonize over the GTS or GT3? Was I embarrassed about buying the base? There is always going to be a faster Porsche and I'm not one of those guys who is never satisfied with their toy collection. I still ride my mountain bike from 1982 and maintain my Weber BBQ that is older than my married son.
I ended up staying with the base Targa so I could wind it out a bit on the back roads to Peggy's Cove and enjoy the time in it with my wife. She demanded the manual transmission, conservative exterior, but a wacky interior for our own amusement. Kind of fun... and it is locked in now for July delivery; and I have no more second thoughts. The Targa is for me and not for pretending I'm a track rat or looking to take on a Hellcat at a traffic light. I hope you can come to terms with what you want... and then are fortunate enough to follow your dream. Good luck!
Old 05-14-2017, 12:15 PM
gregv8
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

While there has been numerous threads comparing the different models (it's like a Windows vs Mac, or Android vs iOS debate - there is never a winner).
That said, I feel compelled to add my 2 cents, as a base (370hp) coupe owner.
The power is perfectly enough for the streets. I'm never embarrassed and never feel I have to explain to anyone why I have "just the base" model. That was a concern before I bought the car. Happy to report, as an owner, it's not an issue. Literally, never.
If I were in your shoes, I would go with the Targa. It's the more interesting car of the two. It gives you versatility. Something interesting for every season. I also think it's the one that could become a classic if you hold onto it long enough.
I'm sure someone will recommend that you should just spend more and get the best of both worlds, but I understand you have a fixed budget. Just like I did. I drew a hard line and never looked back.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:20 PM
russdc
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 56 Posts

This is interesting. I am on the fence about which one of these to order myself. Basically all the options are the same. I am with Icebreaker on this. How fast can you go on the street where I drive 99.9% of the time? I just picked up 2017 Miata RF. Its a "Targa". Let me tell you, I am having so much fun with it!!! Looking forward to each and every drive. If C4 Targa will bring as much smile and joy to me , I'd be more that happy with it. I don't think its all about how much power you have , I think its more about how useful the power is and the overall balance of the car. My previous P-cars were 2011 Spyder and more recently 2016 GT4 and 2017 Macan GTS. All of those cars except for Macan were always sitting in my garage waiting for the perfect weather, perfect parking situation,ect. Now , I just want a car that I can drive every day and have as much fun with it as I can , without thinking about scratching the front bumper , cause it sits too low or getting in and out of it without breaking my back. Just want to enjoy P-car each and every day for any occasion. Therefore, C4 Targa for me. Sorry for the long post.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:48 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sanghav4
Thank You @Icebreaker and @linusto. As everyone here, I have used the configurator for HOURS. Hopefully no big changes for me, but I am strongly considering the grayish blue color, looks very nice in person.
i was in the same boat as you debating between graphite blue and gt silver but ultimately settled on gt silver.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:20 PM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Having second thoughts. Maybe I shouldn't read this forum.

moved to new thread

Last edited by kuma1416; 05-14-2017 at 09:23 PM. Reason: wrong thread
Old 05-15-2017, 04:39 PM
Stevie 77 930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GTS Build

I am new to the 991 forum. I have been around the 930 forum for years, but this is all new to me.....
I placed my order last week for 2018 GTS. I was able to secure a September allocation with October build and hopefully a early December delivery date.

I was after a balance of "subtle", performance and luxury (and price)
Did I miss anything on the build ?

Exterior Color 0Q White
Interior Color LZ Leather Interior in Bordeaux Red

Exterior 425 Rear Wiper
748 Power Folding Exterior Mirrors
CNL Side Mirror Painted (Lower Trim)Exclusive

Performance 487 Manual Transmission

Wheels 433 20" Carrera S Wheels

Wheel Accessories 346 Wheels Painted in Silver

Interior 858 GT Sport Steering Wheel
489 Heated Multifunction Steering Wheel
714 Deletion of Alcantara®
P05 Sport Seats Plus (4-way)
342 Seat Heating (Front)
581 Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell
XSX Seat Belts in Guards Red Exclusive

Interior Leather EKC Leather Interior Package i.c.w. Leather Interior Exclusive
CZW Extended Interior Package, DashboardTrim in Leather Exclusive
CXM Extended Interior Package, Door Panel in Leather Exclusive

Audio and Comm 9VL BOSE® Surround Sound System
[/SIZE]
Attached Images     
Old 05-15-2017, 06:13 PM
nav991.2gts
Intermediate

Default Finally Pulled The Triggered

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I thought I would contribute to the forum seeing that I have been reading and gaining much knowledge from other members.

After 30 years of dreaming one day of owning a 911, the dream is now going to become a reality.

My build is Porsche Code: PJBJ6R73

2017 GTS in Carmine Red

Waiting for update from SA today. Last I heard it was sitting at the dock in Halifax waiting for shipping to Alberta. Not sure if it will be on a train or a truck but last ETA was May 26. Fingers crossed it gets here.

Just wanted to say thanks to all the members. I have learned a lot.
I also wanted to thank my parents for sending me to school......its now paying off.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:43 PM
johnstoy
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nav991.2gts
Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I thought I would contribute to the forum seeing that I have been reading and gaining much knowledge from other members.

After 30 years of dreaming one day of owning a 911, the dream is now going to become a reality.

My build is Porsche Code: PJBJ6R73

2017 GTS in Carmine Red

Waiting for update from SA today. Last I heard it was sitting at the dock in Halifax waiting for shipping to Alberta. Not sure if it will be on a train or a truck but last ETA was May 26. Fingers crossed it gets here.

Just wanted to say thanks to all the members. I have learned a lot.
I also wanted to thank my parents for sending me to school......its now paying off.
Hi and congratulations. The final wait must be frustrating knowing it is so close.
Do you mind if i ask which dealer you are dealing with (Calgary or Edmonton?), and how long it was from initial order to now? Did you have to wait to get an allocation?

thanks,
John
Old 05-15-2017, 09:30 PM
nav991.2gts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by johnstoy
Hi and congratulations. The final wait must be frustrating knowing it is so close.
Do you mind if i ask which dealer you are dealing with (Calgary or Edmonton?), and how long it was from initial order to now? Did you have to wait to get an allocation?

thanks,
John

Hi John,

Edmonton dealer. Delivery date was determined Jan 13, 2017. I've been trying to get allocation since June 2016 at which time they had nothing remaining so had to wait until 991.2 models were released. Allocations are hard to come by from my experience possibly because we are in a smaller market. My SA thinks my delivery might be the first batch of GTS models to arrive in the city.
Best of luck.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:25 PM
philipatl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Out of curiosity - anyone else's car going to be coming over to US on the Athens Highway?
Old 05-16-2017, 12:02 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,076 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevie 77 930
I am new to the 991 forum. I have been around the 930 forum for years, but this is all new to me.....
I placed my order last week for 2018 GTS. I was able to secure a September allocation with October build and hopefully a early December delivery date.

Exterior Color 0Q White

Exterior 425 Rear Wiper

342 Seat Heating (Front)

[/SIZE]

I think you missed a shift lever.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:19 AM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevie 77 930

Exterior Color 0Q White

Exterior 425 Rear Wiper

342 Seat Heating (Front)

[/SIZE]
Congrats on your build. Since you are asking.....I would reconsider guards red seat belts if you are going with the bordeaux interior. The difference in the colors is very noticeable.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:44 AM
Stevie 77 930
Rennlist Member

I think you missed a shift lever.
As mentioned on the forum, the configurator deletes the shifter as you progress thru the build. Looks wierd, i know

Congrats on your build. Since you are asking.....I would reconsider guards red seat belts if you are going with the bordeaux interior. The difference in the colors is very noticeable.
Good call on the belts....I must have click the wrong option by mistake. I have since corrected to Bordeaux Red belts Thanks
Old 05-16-2017, 05:05 PM
homeskillet
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by philipatl
Out of curiosity - anyone else's car going to be coming over to US on the Athens Highway?
That the one leaving Emden 5/26?

Quick Reply: Official waiting room for those with a new 991.2 on order --- come on in !!