Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official waiting room for those with a new 991.2 on order --- come on in !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 08:28 AM
911sTO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 613Porsche
No problem, here are some pics.
Love the stitching. Any reviews of the ride so far (other than the permanent smile).
Old 05-04-2017, 09:25 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Saw this at a dealer. Better pics of that rear spoiler in Sport Design Package. No ducktail obviously, but more pronounced than other pics have shown.

A nice subtle look with nicer front bumper.
Thanks for posting those pics. I wonder if this would fit a 991.1. I have not interest for my car, just wondering. I still want a ducktail.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:32 AM
613Porsche
Advanced

Originally Posted by 911sTO
Love the stitching. Any reviews of the ride so far (other than the permanent smile).
Thanks! when I went to the dealership the first time to go over my build I saw a 2017 Turbo in GT Silver in the showroom that had the red deviated stitching. I thought it looked amazing and then realized that there were a lots of options you could do that the online configurator didn't show. I know the stitching is extremely expensive for what you are getting but I am the type of person that enjoys the inside of the car more than staring at it from the outside. (Although a 911 is awesome on the outside too)
So far I can't find a single thing that I don't like about the car. For reference, I am 44 years old, 6'3" tall and 195 lbs and dreamed of owning a 911 since I was 17.

Overall Sound in and out of car:
On RL there are lots of threads about cabin noise, rough feeling ride, etc so I was expecting this and I wasn't going in with the idea I was buying a Mercedes sedan. Having come from a Cayenne which my wife now has, it really isn't a fair comparison. When I picked up the 911 at the dealer and drove home through the potholed city I was definitely shocked how stiff and agile the ride was. I could feel every bump and if I even thought of turning the wheel to change lanes the car was already there. This took a lot of getting used to the first week and I felt the car was beyond what I could control. But now the car feels like an extension of myself and I am getting comfortable in it. The noise from all the road debris flying into the wheel wells is something I assume will disappear a bit when the tires work in and the roads clean up from some more heavy rains. I optioned not to get the SE because I am not the type of person to drive around with a loud crackling car that turns heads. I also really liked the 4 pipe exhaust. Having listened to lots of Youtube video's taken from outside and inside the cabin with 991.2's the SE didn't sound much different on the inside. In Sport mode (I have the SC package) there is a slight crackling that can be heard if you really push the engine. Not sure if the non SC / SE cars have the same exhaust note as a SC car without SE.

Overall Performance:
I am still in the break in period of the car, but I can't imagine anything more powerful and well put together. I drove a friends GT3 years ago and I find with the turbo this car is like a rocket in comparison. I know that some people will always have the preference to NA vs the new Turbo's but for me the engine sound was not something I was too concerned with and coming from previous turbo cars I loved that "pinning to your seat" feeling when you hammer the gas.
I did opt for the SC just before locking in my build because of the rev matching feature in Sport and Sport + mode. I have driven stick for my entire life and I have never been able to master heel to toe in any way that resembles what the pros do and I always downshift and use the engine to slow me down. The rev matching feature is probably my single most favorite thing about this build right now and I highly recommend getting the SC if you go manual even though most say you only need SC if you go PDK.

Fit and Finish and Electronics:
I am not coming from a Bentley, Maserati etc so for me I knew what to expect coming from a previous Porsche and the 911 does not disappoint. I know that I really appreciate a well thought out and nice interior so I think going for the leather interior is a must if you are this type of person. I do wish I would have got the Alcantara Sun Visors now that I see how the finish is on the inside with the roof, A-pillars all being Alcantara and the Sun Visors being fake leather.
I have no creaks or noises in the car that I can hear, maybe they take time to develop.
I also upgraded the rear leather console at the last minute to keep the deviated stitching look throughout the car and the stitch lines from the center console line up with the rear tunnel console. I am glad I did this.
I tried the 14 way and 18 way seats and opted for the 18 way seats. I probably could have gone with the 4 way Sports Seats Plus but the seats themselves are great for my body shape.
I have played with the Carplay, Car Connect, PCM Connect, and the regular PCM navigation and all seem to work well. In Canada we don't get access Google Maps yet and the only apps you can get right now are to radio/music apps. I put a SIM card in the car that is linked to my phone plan and the only real benefit is now I have wifi hotspot in the car, but once you connect your iphone to the start Carplay this wifi hotspot seems to disappear. All of the above systems work well, I am not really partial to any of them. The one thing I wish they would have is a search function to find music on your phone either in Carplay, or Bluetooth. Currently it just searches by the first letter of the album/artist/song.
I do have to say though that the handsfree is light years ahead of my 2011 Cayenne, I do a lot of calling to and from work and it is a seemless integration that has no echo.

That is all I can report for now, but the sum of all these parts is this car is amazing and I am so glad that I was lucky enough to afford one and I can't imagine ever going to another car. I am in the market for some winter tires as this will be my DD except I guess when we get the 24 inches of snow fall overnight and the ground clearance becomes an issue.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:34 PM
okroger
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlee
Finally out of the waiting room, placed the order mid December and picked up last night, goodbye Cayman, hello GTS.
looks great! are you headed to c&c sunday in sudbury by chance? Would love to see your gts in person
Old 05-04-2017, 09:59 PM
bikerlee
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by okroger
looks great! are you headed to c&c sunday in sudbury by chance? Would love to see your gts in person
Wasn't planning on it but been thinking about checking out some events, might try and make it out.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:31 PM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wasn't planning on it but been thinking about checking out some events, might try and make it out.
Congrats...looks beautiful! I'm patiently waiting for mine at the end of the month. Love the SBM. Did you get the GTS package seats? If so, how do you like them?
Old 05-04-2017, 11:43 PM
Adam's 4S
Intermediate

Finally out of the waiting room, placed the order mid December and picked up last night, goodbye Cayman, hello GTS.
Good luck absolutely beautiful.
Please when you get a chance if you can post a pic of the engine bay cover. Would like to see the difference between gts and S.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2017, 12:35 PM
bikerlee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ak432
Congrats...looks beautiful! I'm patiently waiting for mine at the end of the month. Love the SBM. Did you get the GTS package seats? If so, how do you like them?
I got the 18 way sport plus seats in alcantara. I’ve only done about 50 miles in the car but coming from the leather sports seats in the Cayman I can say these do seem to feel a bit firmer.
I like the lower side bolsters, could do with the side bolsters being a touch wider at the shoulders but they don’t dig in as much as the sport seats which were much narrower at the top and didn’t really fit my back. I’m still trying to find the best seating position, so much adjustment, but I’m the type of person that seemingly fiddles with the seat position every time I get in. I had become accustomed to sliding into the leather seat without touching the side so as not to wear the leather, got to change my method as I can’t slide on the alcantara but it does grip nicely once in. Overall they do feel really nice and pleased I went with them not having had alcantara before, adds a nice sporty feel to the interior.
Attached Images  
Old 05-05-2017, 12:36 PM
Eugene3434
AutoX

Congrats to everyone who received their long awaited machine. Beautiful cars, enjoy it guys. I'm still waiting for my 2017 C4S should be within the next week. Ship was Kaijin. Car coming from Halifax port. anyone else waiting on a car from that ship.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:39 PM
bikerlee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adam's 4S
Good luck absolutely beautiful.
Please when you get a chance if you can post a pic of the engine bay cover. Would like to see the difference between gts and S.

Thanks
Here you go, don't think it's any different?
Attached Images  
Old 05-06-2017, 09:32 AM
pk992002
AutoX

Finally out of the waiting room, picked up c4s earlier this week. Had an delivery date late May but super happy it came earlier.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:27 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Thanks! .............
Great review on a VERY well thought out build!

Being a bit taller (+2") and a bit heavier (+15lbs) (won't comment on age difference- that's a BIG gap! ) these cars really do fit us very well!

We differ in that I love to hear Porsche's engine and the turbos really muffle that music IMO. I can't understand why Porsche doesn't offer Turbo and Turbo S owners a SE option...

Old 05-07-2017, 01:16 AM
solemojo
Track Day

Just ordering a 2018 C2, I have a long wait ahead!
I have enjoyed reading these posts.
As a child I had a poster of a guards red turbo on my wall instead of the popular Farah Facett bikini poster, and now I am finally getting one!
I have lots of questions in my mind that need a final answer before I lock in my order, first being color, I plan on buying this car and keeping it, with my choices being black, guards red, or night blue.
Black I love but shows swirl marks, stone chips etc
Red fades in the sun, and is a cop magnet
Blue I'm not sure is sporty enough? The on line tool does not show it well

The other item of question is the PSE, I love the sound, but not sure I like the placement of the pipes, makes the car look skinnier, and do I get them in black or silver?

Lastly the sport steering wheel, I think the little screws make it look too busy, is that wheel really worth getting?

I'm not getting sport chrono,and want a manual, I have never driven a 7 speed, no dealer has them in stock, so I'm ordering blind on this feature, but I know I love manuals in general.

Any input is greatly appreciated
Old 05-07-2017, 08:41 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by solemojo
Just ordering a 2018 C2, I have a long wait ahead!
I have enjoyed reading these posts.
As a child I had a poster of a guards red turbo on my wall instead of the popular Farah Facett bikini poster, and now I am finally getting one!
I have lots of questions in my mind that need a final answer before I lock in my order, first being color, I plan on buying this car and keeping it, with my choices being black, guards red, or night blue.
Black I love but shows swirl marks, stone chips etc
Red fades in the sun, and is a cop magnet
Blue I'm not sure is sporty enough? The on line tool does not show it well

The other item of question is the PSE, I love the sound, but not sure I like the placement of the pipes, makes the car look skinnier, and do I get them in black or silver?

Lastly the sport steering wheel, I think the little screws make it look too busy, is that wheel really worth getting?

I'm not getting sport chrono,and want a manual, I have never driven a 7 speed, no dealer has them in stock, so I'm ordering blind on this feature, but I know I love manuals in general.

Any input is greatly appreciated
Keep in mind this is coming from a 991.1 (see avatar) owner, but these are my opinions anyway:

1. Black is the sharpest color, but from experience with my 997.2, it is, in fact, a pain. Red and blue are certainly nice, but if I was choosing among the colors you identified, My first choice would still be black, then dark blue (not sure if it's called midnight or another color). Don't get me wrong: I LOVE red. I love red even more on a 991.2 than a 991.1, but, from your colors, black would be my first choice. There is a rennlister (I cannot remember his name) who bought a black 991.2 (base model) with Carrera S wheels and that car looks really sharp. Here's another point of view: The wheels you choose may also dictate the color or vice versa. What wheels are you looking at since that could make the difference. For example, Black with regular silver or platinum semi-gloss finished wheels (they look like matte gray) look fantastic. My personal choice for wheels would be 20" Carrera S wheels or, preferably, the 20" RS SPyder Design wheels. Think about the wheels since the wheels have a significant effect on the look of the car depending on the color.

2. I love the factory PSE (yes, even on the 991.2) and would prefer the factory system than aftermarket. I hear you about the placement of the tailpipes, but it's different and I like the somewhat retro look. As for black or chrome pipes, that depends on whether the badging on the back of the car is black or chrome. If the badging is black (notwithstanding whether it says "Porsche" or "Porsche" with the "911" under it or the full "Porsche" with "911 Carrera" on the back, if it is chrome, the tailpipes, in my opinion, should be chrome. If the badging is black, the tailpipes should be black. If you have no badging whatsoever, I would still go with chrome to have some pop; however, if you choose black as an exterior color with no badging or black badging, the black tailpipes would look sharp.

3. I do not have sport steering wheel in my car, but will be buying one. I like the smaller diameter (if memory serves me correctly), but the steering wheel is not a deal breaker for me and my stock steering wheel (size and all) is fantastic. Get whichever one you like better or looks better.

4. If you love manuals, you will love the 7-speed in this car. Admittedly, shifting from 7 to 6 takes practice or you need to be cognizant and took some getting used to. I only use 7 on long highway cruises, but it does drops the rpm significantly, makes the car quieter for purposes of using Bluetooth or carrying on conversations and 7 really does make the interior far more serene. I think you will love the manual in a 991.2, especially with the new engine.

5. Lastly, good luck! These are great problems to have and I was going through similar decisions when looking for my 991.1 (except i was buying pre-owned). Let us know what you decide or if you have made any other decisions on must-haves for your build.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:05 AM
911sTO
Advanced

That is all I can report for now, but the sum of all these parts is this car is amazing and I am so glad that I was lucky enough to afford one and I can't imagine ever going to another car. I am in the market for some winter tires as this will be my DD except I guess when we get the 24 inches of snow fall overnight and the ground clearance becomes an issue.

Nice review. kayjh was talking about road noise as well - coming from some quiet cars, it'll be interesting to see what a long road trip will be like...6'0' 175 - appreciate the seat review.

Quick Reply: Official waiting room for those with a new 991.2 on order --- come on in !!