Upshift vs downshift

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 12:05 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Upshift vs downshift

Hi guys,
I am looking for an opinion regarding the way our PDK shifts. I feel the transmission shifts far faster in a downshift than upshifts. Any opinions?
Old 10-15-2015, 06:33 PM
Happy911S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never noticed this. I will pay closer attention now to see if I can detect it.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:08 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 847 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by neil.schneider
Hi guys,
I am looking for an opinion regarding the way our PDK shifts. I feel the transmission shifts far faster in a downshift than upshifts. Any opinions?
Any particular mode?

I find in eco mode the car loves 7th gear and it hates to downshift to 6th without a little encouragement from the go pedal. Sport mode is pretty quick .... up and down.... love when it downshifts with the burble.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:05 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

When my car is cold and/or I'm driving leisurely, the upshifts feel a little slower than the downshifts. However, when I'm driving the car hard, running it into the upper rev range, the upshifts seem much quicker. I'm assuming the transmission reacts to RPM and makes a quicker upshift at high and/or rapidly increasing RPMs, but I'm not certain.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:36 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Down shift time would be quicker as PDK is specigically designed to help avoid engine braking time as it wastes fuel and creates more emissions. Simple! ( It also reduces driver interaction and engagement.)
Old 10-16-2015, 11:31 AM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left
Down shift time would be quicker as PDK is specigically designed to help avoid engine braking time as it wastes fuel and creates more emissions. Simple! ( It also reduces driver interaction and engagement.)
I don't have a PDK but my car is also pretty bad with engine braking. How does avoiding engine braking reduce emissions? The RPMs stay up for a longer period.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:34 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left
No sence that makes. At all. I susepct a high probability that you have never driven a PDK Porsche.

PDK-equipped Porsches have a coasting mode enabled as part of auto-stop/start that disengages the clutches during overrun. The result is no engine braking.

However, with auto-stop/start disabled (default for 95% of the folks on this board, it would seem) triggering a down shift with the PDK results in a rev-matched downshift that does result in engine braking.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:50 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by 997s07
... my car is also pretty bad with engine braking.
What does that mean? "Bad with engine braking." I cannot extract any meaning from that phrase.

How does avoiding engine braking reduce emissions? The RPMs stay up for a longer period.
I have no idea. Porsche claims that it does. Here's a counter-argument:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...-fuel-economy/

Intuitively, engine braking should result in less fuel use over coasting since in overrun (engine braking) fuel is cut off and result in lower emissions since no fuel is burned to keep the engine idling.

However, with coasting mode as part of auto-start/stop it is logical to assume that the engine might be turned off during coasting.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:27 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

My subjective opinion with PDK is up shifts are slower than down shifts.

I also saw a YouTube video a while back where a professional race driver said the same thing with respect to the 911 PDK.

Quick Reply: Upshift vs downshift