Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem: Bought a Porsche Certified 911.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 08:20 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The CPO from a Porsche dealer is to correct the previous owner neglecting to mention the rattling sunroof and heater not working . . . as they assured the dealer the car was perfect to maximize their trade-in.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:39 PM
todd92
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dealers don't care about assurances during trade-in. What they want is full service records with stamps. Evidence of further pampering like routine paint corrections and detailing the inside of the wheels can also add value.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:40 PM
Howaboutthat
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The only thing you are paying extra for with a CPO is an extended warranty.

No, it is not.

COV's can and do fail on a moments notice. The heat could have been working and then not. Rattles come and go. Either one of these may have been missed or may not have existed when the car was checked. Both are minor issues that have been discussed in these forums at length. Both will be fixed under warranty easily.

I guess you really believe in coincidence. The dealer did a lousy job -- shame on them, and knowing, as they certainly did, that the purchaser was taking the car to a home located hours away -- even larger fail on their part. The deficient efforts undermined the validity of the CPO program, and will cost the OP additional time to attend to things that should have been rectified in consideration of the higher price he paid.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:03 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
I've seen questions on boards ... for a response , which may be incorrect !
Good point. It's easy to ask; not always so easy to get a correct answer.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:20 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dethred
The Internet is full of people that behave completely differently than if it was an in-person discussion.
True that.

... even on a Porsche forum, people behave like children.
I will say though that generally, when people aren't arguing about PDK vs. manual and ranting about how fabulous their 10 hour "paint correction" looks, this forum is more mature and on-topic than most auto enthusiast forums.

But again, that bar was not set too high.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:07 AM
dethred
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Howaboutthat
The only thing you are paying extra for with a CPO is an extended warranty.

No, it is not.

COV's can and do fail on a moments notice. The heat could have been working and then not. Rattles come and go. Either one of these may have been missed or may not have existed when the car was checked. Both are minor issues that have been discussed in these forums at length. Both will be fixed under warranty easily.

I guess you really believe in coincidence. The dealer did a lousy job -- shame on them, and knowing, as they certainly did, that the purchaser was taking the car to a home located hours away -- even larger fail on their part. The deficient efforts undermined the validity of the CPO program, and will cost the OP additional time to attend to things that should have been rectified in consideration of the higher price he paid.

100% correct. Not to mention, if there are any repairs, non-original equipment, etc that may be on the car, then I am going to be the one blamed for the issues later down the road. The certification effectively eliminates the previous owner and selling dealership from blame for any issues that aren't immediately identified. I am going to go the Porsche NA route and see if they can have my local dealership perform the complete inspection again. Half of the peace of mind from the CPO program, for me at least, is knowing that the car was properly cared for, and is being represented correctly by thoroughly checking the condition of the vehicle. That, as you said, is cast into doubt.

As for compensating for the issue, the selling dealership was unable to secure an early repair date, and I'll be driving the car with no heat, in 32*F weather this weekend. For some people on here, I'm sure I'm just overstating the problem on a car that cost $95k, paid extra to have Certified, which I now have to drive around in freezing weather with no heat.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:34 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

I'll be driving the car with no heat, in 32*F weather this weekend.
Watch those summer tires! They get rock hard even in the 40's and lose grip.

I'd suggest trying to remedy this situation directly with the dealer. Try and establish a good relationship with the local dealer you'll be using. It will go a long way, trust me.

Last edited by STG; 10-16-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:46 AM
woodrow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your input, I'll take it to heart and block you. :-) I'll definitely drive 4 hours to the dealership from whom I bought the car and ask the very same people, that gave me the car in this condition, if they did anything wrong. I'm sure you're right and that's the best approach.

Anyone with actual helpful/mature advice?
+1 some turds chime in from time to time get it fixed and drive on!
Old 10-16-2015, 04:52 PM
jsaviano
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your rear view mirror issue may have been addressed. My CPO did the exact same thing. I got it home, made sure it was set as a previous poster indicates, put the car in reverse, then used the adjustments to "tell it" where you want it to be during reverse. After that, mine has worked perfectly. Even though the manual doesn't tell you, you can "program" it to give you the exact view you prefer while in reverse.

Quick Reply: Problem: Bought a Porsche Certified 911.