Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem: Bought a Porsche Certified 911.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 09:38 PM
RYE
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
those of us with the answer should point the person to the page or section in the manual , if they know it , to assist future " searchers "
I love the iPhone app "Good to know".

Old 10-12-2015, 10:32 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by duxsi
I seem to recall that the No Heat issue may have to do with a failed Change Over Valve.
If you do a search on COV you'll run across some interesting posts.

As for your mirrors, I had the exact same issue and the dealer finally had to reset the system.

Is your sunroof rattling or is it your headliner? (The two rattling sounds are very similar). The latter was was addressed after they realized that the clips holding the headliner in place tended to come loose.

In any case all three of your issues can be fixed, and any dealer can take care of them for you.

Unfortunately we expect everything to be as it should, but these cars (with their stiff suspensions) tend to have a lot of creaks and rattles.

Keeps us posted on the outcome and happy motoring.

My heat issue (no heat) was related to the change over valves (COV)...
Old 10-12-2015, 11:23 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 820 Likes on 408 Posts

I've had both the change over valve for the heat and the rattly moon roof.

Change over valve was change out in a few hours and the moon roof rattle (only when opened all the way) was eliminated when they lubed 4 plastic pieces with a bit of white lithium grease.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:26 AM
stevebmd
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sunroof rattle placed my 2012.5 991 for THREE years, and was finally fixed in august. I trade it in in September. It was the inner panel and needed new "clips" of some sort.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:57 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,375 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by dethred
try to get some sort of compensation for the first two days of ownership being more-or-less ruined?
Oh you'll get compensation...a free cappucino at the dealer's service department when you have these issues rectified.

While you're waiting, maybe thumb through the owner's manual.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:00 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,134 Likes on 679 Posts

Don't mean to be negative at all, but you need to manage you "brand" expectations. I know because when I bought my first Porsche, I expected the "experience" to far exceed those of any other car manufacturer/dealership. After all, it was a Porsche, my dream car, a car lauded by everyone with a reputation of excellence and innovation. What I found was the experience was no different from buying any other car - from initial specification of the car (people here know more about options and the car itself than most Porsche sales persons) to delivery (we have all heard stories of shoddy dealer prep) to maintenance (take it in with an issue and what you hear back many times is "its normal"). If you throw away the lofty expectations and realize that it is a great car with a very ordinary/mediocre after sale experience, you will be a lot happier. I know I am. YMMV.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:57 AM
dethred
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all with helpful responses, especially those who have encountered similar problems. I realized the title of the thread might insinuate that the problem was buying the car in the first place. The only thing I'd do differently is check all the basic functions before leaving the dealership, so that I maybe could have found the issues before leaving.

The buying experience was excellent, and the whole process was light years beyond my experience with other manufacturer's dealerships.

My concern lies in the fact that something, which should have been identified in the CPO inspection (as admitted by my dealership), wasn't completed. That brings into doubt the entire inspection. That is my primary concern. The mirror issue is already set to not aim down, which is one of the settings we changed during the demonstration of features.

The car, other than the rattle and heater not working, is perfect. By far the best car I've ever driven. more comfortable than my outgoing Lexus, and more fun than my outgoing S2000.

As for getting something out of it, I am thankfully having the selling dealership work with my local dealership to get me in earlier than the week-long wait I was quoted. The selling dealership are going to provide/pay for a loaner car which my local dealership said would not be given for these issues.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:46 PM
dethred
Intermediate

Originally Posted by todd92
When the OP wants compensation from Porsche because a failed COV and a rattle ruined his purchase experience, sarcastic comments are appropriate and welcome.

I also don't know why he thinks he has to drive 4 hours back to where he bought it to get it fixed?
So driving home for 5 hours with a persistent rattle and feeling cold... after purchasing a car in the 100k range welcomes sarcasm? I'm not asking for money or free stuff, I just want a quick repair and something to drive in the mean time... something my local dealership refused to do at first.

Reported as well.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:00 PM
todd92
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My local dealer has given a loaner car for the two minor issues I had fixed without asking, much less having the dealer I bought it from (3 hours away) get involved.

Reported? Grow a set.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:04 PM
dethred
Intermediate

Originally Posted by todd92
My local dealer has given a loaner car for the two minor issues I had fixed without asking, much less having the dealer I bought it from (3 hours away) get involved.

Reported? Grow a set.
I'm happy for you. Aaaand reported again.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:52 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,375 Likes on 795 Posts

oh boy, reporting those posts? They were about as mild as it gets.

This is the internet good sir, might need to thicken that skin.

I'm sure your local dealer will fix these exceedingly minor issues in short order. In the meantime, maybe the original dealer will send you a porsche track suit to keep you warm in there??????
Old 10-13-2015, 04:10 PM
dethred
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
oh boy, reporting those posts? They were about as mild as it gets.

This is the internet good sir, might need to thicken that skin.

I'm sure your local dealer will fix these exceedingly minor issues in short order. In the meantime, maybe the original dealer will send you a porsche track suit to keep you warm in there??????
Funny, I thought a Porsche forum would differ a bit from a Honda Civic forum. I guess hiding behind the keyboard affects everyone the same way?

Good one. Yes, a track suit will do fine, but it has to be the same color as the car, and have gold thread in the stitching.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:55 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by dethred
I'm happy for you. Aaaand reported again.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:57 PM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess it's true, the internet isn't for everyone.

I'll save you the trouble, and report myself.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:03 PM
dethred
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mi650
I guess it's true, the internet isn't for everyone.

I'll save you the trouble, and report myself.
I acted the same way when I was 18 and realized I could be as foolish as I wanted behind a keyboard, and then I became an adult. The Internet is full of people that behave completely differently than if it was an in-person discussion. It's called cowardice.

Contrary to the lazy google images find above, butt-hurt and disappointed are two entirely separate things. Disappointed in what, you might ask? That even on a Porsche forum, people behave like children.

Quick Reply: Problem: Bought a Porsche Certified 911.