Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

US Spec 991s in Europe Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 08:28 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Thanks - I may be dealing with this next year, so will reach out then. I brought over a Honda Element to Luxembourg in 2014 and it wasn't a big deal - just had to change the lights and that was all. Just curious if anyone has done this with a Porsche so that there aren't any expensive surprises...
Old 04-23-2021, 03:03 AM
WolfDenShoebox
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinc2
Thanks - I may be dealing with this next year, so will reach out then. I brought over a Honda Element to Luxembourg in 2014 and it wasn't a big deal - just had to change the lights and that was all. Just curious if anyone has done this with a Porsche so that there aren't any expensive surprises...
I've been looking into starting a small import/export business from US to Europe and what I've found is you need to get the cars inspected for the local registration system and they'll tell you what modifications you need to make in order to get it federalized.

It's 100% possible, but may be challenging depending on the model and EVERY car will most likely require special attention. Do not just accept broad statements of certainty from online forums, you need to talk to customs first and then seek the correct inspection depending on the country.

I can mostly speak to Germany, but you would need to pay the 19% VAT, 10% customs fees, plus shipping fees, and then get a TüV inspection done. They'll tell you what you need to change, if anything at all.

Good luck.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:25 AM
theracer21
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfDenShoebox
I've been looking into starting a small import/export business from US to Europe and what I've found is you need to get the cars inspected for the local registration system and they'll tell you what modifications you need to make in order to get it federalized.

It's 100% possible, but may be challenging depending on the model and EVERY car will most likely require special attention. Do not just accept broad statements of certainty from online forums, you need to talk to customs first and then seek the correct inspection depending on the country.

I can mostly speak to Germany, but you would need to pay the 19% VAT, 10% customs fees, plus shipping fees, and then get a TüV inspection done. They'll tell you what you need to change, if anything at all.

Good luck.
if you own the car for more than 1 year there are no taxes to pay. I will Import my 991 c2s in Italy in Jan/Feb 2022.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:41 AM
WolfDenShoebox
Instructor

Originally Posted by theracer21
if you own the car for more than 1 year there are no taxes to pay. I will Import my 991 c2s in Italy in Jan/Feb 2022.
Is this for Germany specific? There are two sets of rules for EU and non-EU countries. The tax burden is almost non-existent if you're transferring between EU countries, but changes under specific rules.

There's also no tax requirement I believe if you plan on only being here for less than a year.

These rules do not relate to US military...

Last edited by WolfDenShoebox; 04-23-2021 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:27 AM
theracer21
Advanced

Is this for Germany specific? There are two sets of rules for EU and non-EU countries. The tax burden is almost non-existent if you're transferring between EU countries, but changes under specific rules.

There's also no tax requirement I believe if you plan on only being here for less than a year.

These rules do not relate to US military...
I’m Italian so there is no taxes for me if I’m import the car after being the only owner for at least 1 year . This is not only for Italy , it’s for the entire EU.
The following users liked this post:
duxsi (04-29-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 09:30 AM
WolfDenShoebox
Instructor

Originally Posted by theracer21
I’m Italian so there is no taxes for me if I’m import the car after being the only owner for at least 1 year . This is not only for Italy , it’s for the entire EU.
The rules are different for US to Germany is the point I was trying to make.

There are so many factors and facets to importing and exporting and only mentioned to consider that when taking advice from online strangers.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:06 AM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

I know that if you are moving to Luxembourg, and if you have owned the car for over one year, you can import one car (only) tax free. The car has to enter at the time of your household goods though - you can't move your stuff and the bring the car over later on. I believe this is consistent across many of the EU countries (but not positive).

It's definitely a risk though if you don't know until after you arrive how much you will have to change in order to be compliant. When the time comes ,I will contact Porsche to see if i can get more info - I suspect the changes will be limited to lights.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:02 AM
SwedeInNY
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinc2
I know that if you are moving to Luxembourg, and if you have owned the car for over one year, you can import one car (only) tax free. The car has to enter at the time of your household goods though - you can't move your stuff and the bring the car over later on. I believe this is consistent across many of the EU countries (but not positive).

It's definitely a risk though if you don't know until after you arrive how much you will have to change in order to be compliant. When the time comes ,I will contact Porsche to see if i can get more info - I suspect the changes will be limited to lights.
This mirrors my experience of importing to Sweden as part of household goods. I tried getting some clarity on potential modifications needed from both PCNA as well as the local representative but both sides were seemingly clueless. I received the most valuable input from a representative of one of the companies authorized to perform the registration inspection.

Also, and this may or may not be specific to Sweden, but there are two parts to the import rules. The first relates to the tax/customs situation (as outlined above). The second relates to the technical requirements and will also vary depending on ownership term prior to import. If I remember correctly, if you have owned the car for over 18 months in the US prior to import as household goods, there are virtually no demands on modifications (I think you will even get away with red US rear indicator signals for example). As stated elsewhere though, spend some time doing your own research!
The following 3 users liked this post by SwedeInNY:
duxsi (04-29-2021), theracer21 (04-27-2021), Thinc2 (04-26-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 02:13 PM
theracer21
Advanced

In most cases, Italian customs allows a one time duty free import of goods as part of your international move to Italy, as long as you meet the following requirements:
  • Items have been owned for at least a year
  • You have lived in the country of origin more than 12 months
  • The goods are at least 6 months old and have been used by you
this applies for all EU countries.
The following 4 users liked this post by theracer21:
duxsi (04-29-2021), Larry Cable (05-15-2024), marcnyc (04-27-2021), Thinc2 (04-27-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 04:57 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 125 Posts

Does anyone know if it's limited to one car per household?
When I last moved back to the UK it was extremely easy to import (1 year of ownership before entry, Cert of conformity, and you couldn't sell it for 1 year).
Was anyone required to change the speedometer face plate? This isn't necessary for the UK (mph to mph), but this time I'm heading from the US to the mainland w/ kph..
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by duxsi
Does anyone know if it's limited to one car per household?
When I last moved back to the UK it was extremely easy to import (1 year of ownership before entry, Cert of conformity, and you couldn't sell it for 1 year).
Was anyone required to change the speedometer face plate? This isn't necessary for the UK (mph to mph), but this time I'm heading from the US to the mainland w/ kph..
Thanks in advance.
I do not know the definitive answer to this, but I believe if you have a digital display that can also display km/h (in addition to the analog) you are ok...
Old 04-30-2021, 06:03 AM
kermit123
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm importing my 2013 991 C2S to Italy. I will replace the rear lights with the amber ones, but has anyone had issues with the seat belts? Also any advice on how to fit the European rear license plate? I will be happy to let everyone know how my experience goes...
Old 04-30-2021, 08:27 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 254 Posts

Reviving an old thread from the dead... I noticed 991 rear bumpers are different between US and EU spec. I have a US Spec 991 coming next week and need to do my (US-System registration) inspection and I have no front bumper license plate mount. I was between getting a tow hook mount or having the local Porsche dealer drill holes into the front bumper for the euro license plate, but the rear would be a US-style license plate.

Also, the temp tags they gave me are complete trash and there's no place for me to mount them on the car. Really concerned I'll get stopped for having the front plate in the windshield until I get the front mount.

What do you guys think? Drilled holes or nah? I know most will say not to do it, but I've been considering selling my 991 in the Euro market after I'm done here and maybe I should just go ahead and knock that out. I don't know how I feel about having two different size plates, however.
You can order the front plate Euro mount from Suncoast or get it from your dealer. It has guide tabs on the bottom that center it on the front bumper in the area of the third center radiator opening. You drill in the plate mount. Then you insert your Euro front plate into a plate holder, I got mine from the dealer, and you sure that into the euro plate mount. Very easy. I kept mine on when I returned on all of our cars. Looks great and gets lots of interest.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:28 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by kermit123
I'm importing my 2013 991 C2S to Italy. I will replace the rear lights with the amber ones, but has anyone had issues with the seat belts? Also any advice on how to fit the European rear license plate? I will be happy to let everyone know how my experience goes...
If you are moving to a country that has a US government presence, they will likely have the US sized plates for the rear and you won't have to modify bumpers. The front will be a Euro plate mount. I just commented on that.
Old 04-30-2021, 10:13 AM
kermit123
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I asked and apparently, in Italy they only have two formats for the rear. One long one which is 52 cm × 11 cm; and one square one 29.7 cm × 21.4 cm. The long one is too wide to fit and the square one is very large and unsightly ;(
Did you have any issues with the seat belts?

Quick Reply: US Spec 991s in Europe Questions and Experiences