Sponsored by:

Politics, religion and transmission preference

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015 | 12:46 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Winegums
ad hominem .....
Oops. Thought you posted somewhere here that you are hoping to get a 991. No?

If you think that me noting your lack of a PDK car is ad hominem then there is not much more to take seriously about your opinions.
Old 10-06-2015 | 01:29 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Valkuri
Nor long for the PDK fanatics to insist upon the Absolute Rightness of their own personal decision.
No rigid opinions for you, obviously.

Some of us enjoy a manual transmission. You clearly prefer PDK. Mazel tov. Enjoy.
Just try to be not a d*ck about it, mm'kayy? Thanks.
Except none of the PDK crowd even brings up the topic. We simply respond to the nonsense 'drivers car' posts by the MT crowd. It's a personal decision, both are great gearboxes. It's just that when someone starts arguing how it's gotta be an MT to be a driver's car, there's gonna be a response on a forum like this, particularly when the MT is, by definition, a lower performing transmission in pure performance terms.

Honestly, I think there are some people on here that probably go home at night and jack off to heel-toe videos.
Old 10-06-2015 | 01:55 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Except none of the PDK crowd even brings up the topic. We simply respond to the nonsense 'drivers car' posts by the MT crowd. It's a personal decision, both are great gearboxes. It's just that when someone starts arguing how it's gotta be an MT to be a driver's car, there's gonna be a response on a forum like this, particularly when the MT is, by definition, a lower performing transmission in pure performance terms.

Honestly, I think there are some people on here that probably go home at night and jack off to heel-toe videos.

+991
Old 10-06-2015 | 02:01 PM
Winegums
Instructor

Originally Posted by 997s07
Oops. Thought you posted somewhere here that you are hoping to get a 991. No?

If you think that me noting your lack of a PDK car is ad hominem then there is not much more to take seriously about your opinions.
I don't own a PDK equiped Porsche, but that's not the point of this thread.

The whole reason the thread was created is the MT crowd seems to think it's their job to berate those who prefer PDK.

Why do they feel that it's their job to make others feel like their personal preference is wrong? Does it make them feel better to make someone feel bad? Is it out of fear that their choice of transmission is going to disappear? Is it some sort of performance superiority complex?

As someone who likes manual automatic transmissions I don't care if you like your manual transmission. I'm actually happy that you love your MT and hope you enjoy your car.
Old 10-06-2015 | 02:02 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Can we please stop?

There is nothing constructive accomplished by this banter.

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Old 10-06-2015 | 02:42 PM
Dude174
Racer

"I like the wizard of oz"
Old 10-06-2015 | 02:51 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Last edited by neanicu; 08-31-2016 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-06-2015 | 03:45 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Winegums
I don't own a PDK equiped Porsche, but that's not the point of this thread.

The whole reason the thread was created is the MT crowd seems to think it's their job to berate those who prefer PDK.

Why do they feel that it's their job to make others feel like their personal preference is wrong? Does it make them feel better to make someone feel bad? Is it out of fear that their choice of transmission is going to disappear? Is it some sort of performance superiority complex?

As someone who likes manual automatic transmissions I don't care if you like your manual transmission. I'm actually happy that you love your MT and hope you enjoy your car.
Have you driven a PDK long enough to have a solid opinion (whatever it is)? That adds to your credibility, don't you think?

Who berated a PDK supporter? Normally I stop arguing when accusations start to flow. One quote would suffice, who berated a PDK supporter? Don't be accusatory.

And as far as the second bold goes, your questioning is baseless. Performance superiority complex? You must be kidding me.

That said, I don't care what you drive either. I have my opinions why some choose a PDK box (my office is littered with 911 drivers young and old and I have asked around) but I have never stated those. It is always a personal choice.
Old 10-06-2015 | 06:59 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes

I can almost understand these arguments over on the 981-specific boards and forums, because there you have a choice of two very different transmissions (6sp manual-only and 7sp PDK). You get two very different experiences, and a smaller, more economical two-seater seems like a very natural place for a traditional manual. I would never question someone's choice of a 6-speed manual on a Cayman or Boxster.

But the debate makes a lot less sense when discussing the 991 cars because everybody with a 991 has a 7-speed PDK-derived gearbox. The only option is whether it can shift itself, if the driver so desires.

What the "save the manuals" advocates are arguing for is less driver control over the transmission's behavior... namely removal of the ability to shift automatically in cases where the added driver workload of a full manual is not welcome. Essentially, we're told that we can't be genuine driving enthusiasts if we delegate the task of shifting to a computer when stuck in traffic or otherwise not driving in what Porsche calls a "sporty" manner. This isn't a preference or even a philosophy, it's a religion.

I don't currently drive a 991 and as various people have pointed out, that means I don't have a dog in the fight. But I just find it interesting that the arguments all seem to happen here, and never on the Boxster/Cayman boards where they might actually have some merit.

Quick Reply: Politics, religion and transmission preference