Sponsored by:

What's the fuss about MY

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 02:55 AM
tron786
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What's the fuss about MY

I didn't find a clear answer anywhere so I'm asking.
My car was registered in Sept 2012 but the dealer calls it a MY2013.

Here is South Africa I don't see it mentioned like this for any other brands as when you advertise a used car you mention the year it was first registered.
That's why many people that order new cars and are delivered in December, keep the car on the dealership floor until January so that it gets registered in the new year.

With the 991.2 I believe orders will start in Jan 2016 but they will be called MY2017. Weird.

So what's the rationale for the MY?
Old 10-01-2015, 04:49 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 837 Likes on 418 Posts

2012 had both 997 and 991's sold. Maybe some folks at your dealer didn't realize the 991 model came out in mid 2012. Even some write up i've read say 991's were considered a new car for 2013 model year and not for 2012.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:26 AM
tron786
Instructor

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
2012 had both 997 and 991's sold. Maybe some folks at your dealer didn't realize the 991 model came out in mid 2012. Even some write up i've read say 991's were considered a new car for 2013 model year and not for 2012.
True for that year. But even a called built in Sept 2013 will be called MY2014 by Porsche.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:27 AM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

MY=Model Year, so as long as the car was built based on the model year 2013 specifications the car can be sold before but still is considered a 2013 at list here in US is that way
Old 10-01-2015, 06:30 AM
tron786
Instructor

Originally Posted by drmatara
MY=Model Year, so as long as the car was built based on the model year 2013 specifications the car can be sold before but still is considered a 2013 at list here in US is that way
What spec changes have occurred?
I asked this question on another forum but couldn't get any firm info.

Personally I can't see any spec changes for 991.1 between 2012 and 2015 until now that the 991.2 has come out.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:42 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by tron786
What spec changes have occurred?
I asked this question on another forum but couldn't get any firm info.

Personally I can't see any spec changes for 991.1 between 2012 and 2015 until now that the 991.2 has come out.
None. There were service bulletins and updates to things like the PCM software. Oh, and some options weren't available earlier in the 991.1 run, such as rear view / reversing camera. But no changes to performance specs or styling.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:52 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by tron786
I didn't find a clear answer anywhere so I'm asking.
My car was registered in Sept 2012 but the dealer calls it a MY2013.

Here is South Africa I don't see it mentioned like this for any other brands as when you advertise a used car you mention the year it was first registered.
That's why many people that order new cars and are delivered in December, keep the car on the dealership floor until January so that it gets registered in the new year.

With the 991.2 I believe orders will start in Jan 2016 but they will be called MY2017. Weird.

So what's the rationale for the MY?
In the US it doesn't go by reg date. It goes by the MY of the car based on manufacturers... 2016's have been on the road for a while now in the US. Clearly these cars are registered before 2016... they are MY cars, with updates, as released by Porsche.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:57 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

This topic comes up a fair amount. There's a lot of confusion because MY, or model year designations are handled very differently around the world, either due to custom or regulation.

The OP is from South Africa and it appears that model year designations are handled there similar to the way they are handled in most of Europe - the model year designation is based on when the car is registered for the first time. Note that at least in some parts of Europe, the model year doesn't necessarily change with the calendar year. For example, in the UK, I believe that model year 2016 began with September 2015 registrations. I think that the upside of this system is that the model year becomes a truer indication of the age of the car. The downside is that if there has been a significant change in the car, it's not readily apparent what you're getting. For example, if you registered both a 997 and a 991 in January 2013, they would both be called MY13s even though they are very different cars.

In the US and Canada, model year designations are determined by the manufacturer and have traditionally been changed each September. I believe that the only government regulation is that a model year cannot be more than one calendar year ahead (so a manufacturer would have to wait until January 2016 to market an MY17 car). I think the North American system goes back to the 50s and 60s when the Big 3 made major chassis and styling changes EVERY year (usually in September), and the model year designation was updated to make sure buyers knew which chassis and style they were buying.

When it was first introduced, I bought a facelifted (or LCI) BMW 550i. That was in April 2007 and the car was marketed by BMW in the US and Canada as an MY08. That made it quite clear that mine was the new, facelifted model. However, that exact same car could have been purchased 16 months later in August 2008, and it still would have been designated an MY08. So certainly the age of the car wasn't very clear.

Both systems have their upsides and areas of confusion. Now I think it's just a matter of geographic market tradition.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:24 AM
tron786
Instructor

Originally Posted by hinckley
This topic comes up a fair amount. There's a lot of confusion because MY, or model year designations are handled very differently around the world, either due to custom or regulation.

The OP is from South Africa and it appears that model year designations are handled there similar to the way they are handled in most of Europe - the model year designation is based on when the car is registered for the first time. Note that at least in some parts of Europe, the model year doesn't necessarily change with the calendar year. For example, in the UK, I believe that model year 2016 began with September 2015 registrations. I think that the upside of this system is that the model year becomes a truer indication of the age of the car. The downside is that if there has been a significant change in the car, it's not readily apparent what you're getting. For example, if you registered both a 997 and a 991 in January 2013, they would both be called MY13s even though they are very different cars.

In the US and Canada, model year designations are determined by the manufacturer and have traditionally been changed each September. I believe that the only government regulation is that a model year cannot be more than one calendar year ahead (so a manufacturer would have to wait until January 2016 to market an MY17 car). I think the North American system goes back to the 50s and 60s when the Big 3 made major chassis and styling changes EVERY year (usually in September), and the model year designation was updated to make sure buyers knew which chassis and style they were buying.

When it was first introduced, I bought a facelifted (or LCI) BMW 550i. That was in April 2007 and the car was marketed by BMW in the US and Canada as an MY08. That made it quite clear that mine was the new, facelifted model. However, that exact same car could have been purchased 16 months later in August 2008, and it still would have been designated an MY08. So certainly the age of the car wasn't very clear.

Both systems have their upsides and areas of confusion. Now I think it's just a matter of geographic market tradition.
Wow. Thanks hickney for the comprehensive reply.
Just to note that here in South Africa "ONLY" Porsche uses the American model and not the other manufacturers.

So when I bought my CPO I first thought it was registered in 2013 but only discovered it was actually Sept 2012.
The downside for me is that the warranty and driveplan (a full maintenance plan offered here) are worked out from the date of registration.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:21 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

No matter what reg year or MY you have, the computation for trade-in value will be the reg year/month. It will help a little bit if your MY is later than the reg year.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:37 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Great stuff... how do the books in the car match the MY/Reg in countries that use reg as the year of the car?

Quick Reply: What's the fuss about MY