Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 2 weeks old and keyed

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 02:50 PM
CDH911C2S
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have never understood what drives someone to anonymously vandalize a persons car---I am not suggesting that it is okay if the person knows you----I have a 650I that was 2 days old (Black Saphire)---parked in a secure gated garage with cameras(none of which worked that day...lol)

I pulled out of the garage to have lunch when I noticed some white powder blowing around my drivers window---i thought "white powder" I drove a few feet and looked in my drivers side mirror and saw the scratch(2 feet long to the metal--ouch)

After the heart break and anger was done (still not done--lol) I became paranoid that someone was out to get me---I analyzed all my work relationships---did he or she do this??? Needless to say--this was not healthy. Someone said to me, "Don't you wish you saw whoever did this?" At First, I was like ---Yes--then I realized it would have been bad for me an this person as my response would have gotten me in trouble----

The reason i share my story is that I have some perspective on that day and I remember taking it personally---this was a mistake---Nobody deserves to have their car vandalized--there are some broken people in the world that do things just to create pain on other peoples lives and sometimes good people get caught up in these events---

Get your car fixed and enjoy---In the movie World According to Garp---Robin Williams is touring a house with a realtor when the house is struck by a plane---He immediately buys the house as the odds of it being hit by another airplane are astronomical---He figures this house is now safe---

Your car is now safe!!!

Cheers
Old 10-01-2015, 04:09 PM
Happy911S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch! Makes me hurt with you!

Do you have pics to show of the damage?
Old 10-01-2015, 06:41 PM
991TurboS
Racer

If it makes you feel any better, I bought my first sports car, a new 1998 Corvette Coupe. With less than 900 miles on the odometer, I went to an upscale strip mall to a pet shop. Was in there for 25 minutes. Came out and someone had scratched down to the FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) 360 degrees across every body panel except the roof panel.

I was crushed. So take comfort you are not the only one. I ended up trading the car in on a new one. I have a front and rear dash cam on my TTS that records even when the car is parked.

Brand I have: www.Blackvue.com

Model I installed: http://www.rearviewsafety.com/produc...-blackvue.html
Old 10-01-2015, 07:13 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

only a COMPLETE ******* would key a persons car.

I'd like to find the fuc_in clown and kill him for being a worthless D bag

No place in society for people like that IMO
Old 10-01-2015, 07:27 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Soo..might be a stupid question but why aren't car alarms sensitive enough to go off when there is detection of force that is adequate to key into a car's paint? You'd think the geniuses at Porsche would've figured this out by now..
Old 10-01-2015, 08:38 PM
ocularguy
Track Day

Vandalism, particularly of the keying variety, is a major worry if you have a nice car. Most of the cars I owned were vandalized at least once, and some of them multiple times. Same story with friends who own nice cars. It's a very common problem.

There are ways to reduce the probability of this happening, but you can't make the probability very low unless the car is just a garage queen, or you drive it only "point A to point A" where point A is your garage at home.

Owning a nice car is a big source of stress if you actually use it as a car rather than a museum piece.

I try to be very careful about where I park, and I try to drive my beater instead to places where I think the odds are against me. Still, it happens, just not as often as it would otherwise.

The thing I hate most about it is that repairing the damage is problematic... Repairing causes other damage, or it ends up being not quite right, etc. A very frustrating experience, and expensive in time, money, and psychological impact.

Also, it's one of the reasons I typically prefer leasing luxury cars rather than buying them, although leasing a Porsche is typically not as attractive.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:06 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Originally Posted by Sharm
Soo..might be a stupid question but why aren't car alarms sensitive enough to go off when there is detection of force that is adequate to key into a car's paint? You'd think the geniuses at Porsche would've figured this out by now..
Not a stupid question at all. I believe our 911s have an inside motion sensor, but nothing to detect outside motion or pressured movement on the car. To get something liked that, you'd probably have to go aftermarket.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:45 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I take my cars anywhere, if I am not coming right back home. I have a trip setter in the passenger seat if I have to go into some place.

I have been nailed on the way home with a brand new pickup. Went into a store for 5 mins and came out and there was a ding and a weird looking purple paint that I have never seen before. I looked one stall over and there is this repainted little purple POS car. They nailed me and than moved one stall over like I wouldn't know.

So I waited for them to come out, sitting on my tail gate and watching the doors. Here comes out this man and woman. He sees me and stops in his tracks, looks down, than proceeds walking with his head down. The door height and the ding were a perfect match with the paint color. I went ballistic on them.

They couldn't leave fast enough. I told them I was going to kick their door in. She goes oh it wasn't me. We are not even next to you. I said now you aren't because you moved one stall over after you got me. Than they got in their car and scuttled.

I feel sorry for the person that gets me and if they are still parked there when I come out before them and see the ding. Their door will be hard to open with a big crease in it. If they tell me or write a note and fess up and pay for their mistake than so be it. But people are either jealous, or just don't care!
Old 10-01-2015, 10:29 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharm
I remember back in the early 90's there was that car alarm that would sense people near the car and a voice would say "stay away from the car". That was pretty awesome and it definitely got people's attention. Nowadays they should make an alarm that says "you are under video surveillance, please step away from the car".

I also remember back in the day having an alarm in my 91 MR2 turbo which had a proximity alarm that would go off if someone came too close to the car ... Like literally right next to it but that didn't stop some idiot from kicking a dent into the rear fender once when I had it parked on a NYC street.

Last edited by AF330i; 10-02-2015 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:44 PM
quattro986
Advanced

Sorry to hear. I feel for you. Been keyed 3x's in the "doctor's lot"(boxster, Audi & Landrover). Lots of haters and angry people. I no longer park in the "doctor's lot". So far so good. Hope your 991 fixes up nicely.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:52 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

While if I caught the person, I'd love to cave his head in with a brick, I realize that would just cost me many multiples of the damages in future legal fees. So I'd be inclined to just look at the guy and say, 'oh, no worries man, I've got two more just like it at home. I'll just have my butler trade this one in', just to **** the guy off.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:20 AM
stevebmd
Racer

Chuckla
My office is in silver spring, georgia ave and dennis ave.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:46 AM
shumi_9
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is something that will make you feel better...start tracking the car. Track it as you stole it. Autocross, Track days, etc..You will have a great time, accumulate a few more blemishes (which you will be proud of) and will no longer care as you would be getting the most fun out of the car vs babying it.Worked for me.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by shumi_9
Here is something that will make you feel better...start tracking the car. Track it as you stole it. Autocross, Track days, etc..You will have a great time, accumulate a few more blemishes (which you will be proud of) and will no longer care as you would be getting the most fun out of the car vs babying it.Worked for me.
AKA "nature's pinstripes"
Old 10-02-2015, 11:51 AM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm sorry to hear that. I too live in the northern MoCo.

Quick Reply: 991 2 weeks old and keyed