Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hate to post this!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 01:05 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I was hoping that my first experience with Porsche would've been as positive and as good and happy as I am with the car. I was expecting a higher level of professionalism. I was very disappointed because my expectations were high. Unfortunately, I live in Miami and I happen to know how things work here. I wouldn't be surprise if that was done on purpose.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:49 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_s
It's how the world works... obviously your choice with how you handle your affairs, but for me, I prefer to take care of the people that take care of me. I tip all my SA's, drop off gifts at xmas time and treat them like business friends. In return, I get top notch service, my car picked and delivered, next day appointments and they actually take the time to listen to what I need and address it correctly. Maybe I should not have to do this, but for me, it's totally worth it... and the result is that you will not see me complaining about having to wait for service, lack of a loaner car, car not being done correctly, etc.... also they are very competitive on price and will even lower usual service prices based upon my relationship with the dealer..... it has paid for itself. I needed brakes for my wife's Panny GTS, they took over 30% off the posted price. Now, they still made money, but the next guy paid full retail. This was a big discount.

When my C4S was coming off lease, my dealer asked me to return it to another dealer so they were not obligated to buy it from PFS... I did. This favor and paid dividends big time.... did I have to no, but well worth it..... I understand your comment "not happening in this lifetime" but I choose to handle it differently and very happy with the results...
So true.
Showing some love changes the whole service dynamic.
For what you have invested in the car, it is a very small price to pay.

The 2 people you need to take care of are the Shop Foreman #1 and your SA #2.
Make sure your Shop Foreman likes your SA, so they work well together.
Meet the Shop Foreman and make sure you like him.
Then provide some 3 figure gratuity to each, via the SA.
That makes sure they each like you and each other and will take a personal interest in your car.

It's not that these people are not already nice by default, it's that most customers treat them bad and are highly demanding and Porsche trains them to defend against that.
Your gratuity just reminds them, there are good customers out there and it makes them feel better about their work.
I found it pays off very well.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:05 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by lunarx
So true.
Showing some love changes the whole service dynamic.
For what you have invested in the car, it is a very small price to pay.

The 2 people you need to take care of are the Shop Foreman #1 and your SA #2.
Make sure your Shop Foreman likes your SA, so they work well together.
Meet the Shop Foreman and make sure you like him.
Then provide some 3 figure gratuity to each, via the SA.
That makes sure they each like you and each other and will take a personal interest in your car.

It's not that these people are not already nice by default, it's that most customers treat them bad and are highly demanding and Porsche trains them to defend against that.
Your gratuity just reminds them, there are good customers out there and it makes them feel better about their work.
I found it pays off very well.
The defense against highly demanding customers, Lunarx, is doing the job right the first time. If we truly have reached the point where even highly paid professional technicians need to be bribed to just do their job- and on top of that people can't even see how WRONG that is- then we are indeed circling the drain.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:24 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
The defense against highly demanding customers, Lunarx, is doing the job right the first time. If we truly have reached the point where even highly paid professional technicians need to be bribed to just do their job- and on top of that people can't even see how WRONG that is- then we are indeed circling the drain.
Just a way to put the odds in your favor and get the best techs assigned to your car.
I found it beats complaining after the fact.
Plus its nice to brighten someones day.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:43 PM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After all the issues I have had with my Porsche Centre (many of which still can't be mentioned (at least until my PTS GTS turns up))... I refuse to let them do anything for me except supply me with cars.

I get all my work done now by people that care..

I had the 20,000 service completed last week, no issues and a fraction of the Porsche price. The whole service was filmed so I could watch it back at my leisure. All filters, engine oil and brake fluid change and inspection for approx 400 English pounds... There were no issues found with the car at all. Still have 3mm of tread on the front tyres, rears were replaced at 14,000 miles.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8594...vice-work.html
Old 09-30-2015, 03:00 PM
Winegums
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuck911
I would have no issue offering a nice tip to the SA and Tech AFTER they serviced my car to my standards. You really shouldn't have to bribe someone to DO THEIR JOB, after all they're getting paid by Porsche to do a good job.

If I was the OP and I found that my oil drain plug was loose after an oil change I would be livid. I'd be seriously considering talking to the owner of the dealership asking what kind of employees he has working for him.

What if the car ran dry on oil 1200 miles into it's life? What if you get your brakes serviced and they forgot to tighten the lug nuts? I don't think I would go back to that dealership ever again if I were you.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:05 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Theres a lot to this that sounds odd. You are micromanaging an oil change, asking to be let into the service bay to photograph, etc. To me, it seems like you were looking for a negative outcome.
It is possible they did the exact opposite of what you asked in hope you never return again.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:16 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

That's really sad that some of you guys have less then professional service technicians at your dealerships. If you ever get to the Nashville, TN area and need service the entire dealership is top notch.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:40 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Clearly the Oil Cange in question was done by a rookie mechanic.
Possibly something the dealer was experimenting with, so they could afford to offer the "low" $200 price.

I would be mad too and looking to test waters with another dealer.
However, if you do go back there, ask for the Shop Foreman to oversee the job and final inspect the work.
Make sure they note that on the Work Order.
Also, have a friendly chat with SF to make sure you feel he is competent.
If he gives you anything less than a good impression, run from that dealer.

As for gratuity, verbal complimemts work well too, for those of you with lots of charisma ; )

Don't go over SF head, unless he says a matter is out of his control.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:54 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I am surprised some people are not aware that dealerships are using what's called " service express ". These are regular people that have absolutely no training as a technician. They can come directly from the street or from the dealership's detail department. If you work in the detail department and are looking into making a career as a technician,the easiest way to advance,besides going to tech school,is to start in service express.
Service express guys are responsible for your oil changes,tire rotation etc.
You didn't think an actual tech is going to waste his time with an oil change... Well,he will if he's not busy or he needs to do something else to the car besides an oil change.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:56 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Grunty
Theres a lot to this that sounds odd. You are micromanaging an oil change, asking to be let into the service bay to photograph, etc. To me, it seems like you were looking for a negative outcome.
It is possible they did the exact opposite of what you asked in hope you never return again.
I dont think that is the mindset of any dealer, to purposely do a job badly.

In this case the SA screwed up.
SA should have been upfront about filmimg policies and given the answer before the car was taken in.
I do think the car was rushed up in the que, so the marketing manager would not have to address the filmimg request, since work would be done before she met the customer.
So shady tactics were used all around.

However, this customer now has a valid reason to ask for Shop Foreman oversight on his next service.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:59 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
I am surprised some people are not aware that dealerships are using what's called " service express ". These are regular people that have absolutely no training as a technician. They can come directly from the street or from the dealership's detail department. If you work in the detail department and are looking into making a career as a technician,the easiest way to advance,besides going to tech school,is to start in service express.
Service express guys are responsible for your oil changes,tire rotation etc.
You didn't think an actual tech is going to waste his time with an oil change... Well,he will if he's not busy or he needs to do something else to the car besides an oil change.
I get that, which is why I have the SF looking after my car.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:02 PM
trucheli
Pro

That thought crossed my mind because I was demanding from day one but as a car guy my requests were not out of the ordinary. I requested to take pictures because I was hoping to document my great experience at a top notch dealership to share on this forum. I presented the idea to the Marketing Director who was very responsive and had no problem allowing me to go and witness my car being worked on. Now if they have something to hide I can see your point.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:23 PM
trucheli
Pro

Originally Posted by lunarx
I dont think that is the mindset of any dealer, to purposely do a job badly.

In this case the SA screwed up.
SA should have been upfront about filmimg policies and given the answer before the car was taken in.
I do think the car was rushed up in the que, so the marketing manager would not have to address the filmimg request, since work would be done before she met the customer.
So shady tactics were used all around.

However, this customer now has a valid reason to ask for Shop Foreman oversight on his next service.
The SA told me that I had to talk to the Marketing Director and that he could have arranged it if I had told him when I made the appointment. He gave me the name and number of the Marketing Director to call her. I was surprised that the car was finished so quick. The MD even offered me to go to the shop and document another vehicle which I denied because I wanted to shot my car. I told her that I will do it on my next 5000miles change.

Today I received a follow up call from the SA. He asked me if there were any issues with the car and that my issue has been documented, he continued to apologize. I told him that next time I would like to get their best technician to take care of my car and that I didn't want the other mechanic to ever touch my vehicle again. He finished telling me that the reason for the call was to apologize about the whole situation.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:37 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

While I agree that the OP's approach from the start was probably off-putting to the dealership, I just can't imagine they did anything on purpose (unless he was a huge *** and just isn't fessing up to it on here, which I doubt). I expect that if a dealer thinks they have a difficult customer, they probably realize that the path of least resistance for them is to just do the job right. If I'm the SA, the last thing I want to do with the difficult job is to do it poorly. It's just gonna be a bigger headache.

But, honestly, beyond ensuring that they use the oil I want them to, I think it's overreaching a bit to ask to want to watch or film an oil change.

Quick Reply: I hate to post this!