Sponsored by:

I hate to post this!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 10:25 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default I hate to post this!

I have recently became a proud owner of my first Porsche a 2015 Carrera GTS. I have reached 1200 miles and decided to do a break in oil change. I won't disclose the dealer for obvious reasons but last week I called and set up an appointment to have the change done. I requested to bring my own oil but was denied. I found out that they had Mobil 1 5W50 and I was ok with that, they usually use Mobil 1 0W40. This is a car that I have purchased with a lot of effort and I want to keep for a long time. I went in and I sat down with the SA I've explained that I wanted to make sure that they use 5W50 and that they did not reset the computer as well as I did not want my vehicle washed since I do my own detailing. I also asked if they torque the filter and drain plug getting a funny look from the SA affirming that they always torque to specs (this will prove my point later).

I asked the SA if I could take some pictures while the oil change was being done in order to post on here and I was referred to the marketing representative who I called and asked if that could be possible. I was having breakfast when she called me and asked me to come talk to her. She was very nice and told me that she could take me to the service area. While I was talking to her the SA shows up and tells me that my car is ready, it took around 40 minutes from the time that my car went in until I came back. He said that the technician was not busy and that it was done earlier. I asked where should I paid and he tells me that there is no charge. He tells me that the technician reseted the computer therefore there was no charge. I understood and I thanked him. My car comes and the SA goes back to his office. I start inspecting the car to make sure that everything is just like I left it, I opened the engine bay and look around the engine cover and realize that the left side is loose, the technician did not make sure that it was properly secured. That was my second red flag, I called the SA and I pointed the issue, he takes the car back in and comes back with the cover properly secured. I left the dealership and I talking to myself not believing the lack of professionalism. Two issues on a simple oil change that I can do myself but I am not going to because I don't want to risk anything going wrong and being on the hook for an out of pocket bill because they denied a warranty repair. To me money is an issue and I have worked hard in order to afford my dream car.

On Thursday I parked the car and went on a cruise for the weekend. Today I pull the car out of my garage and I found a fresh oil stain on the floor. I could not believe it. I did not know if that was oil dripping from the drain plug or from the engine compartment due to a spill. I took a picture and I sent it to the SA, his response was I look into it. I was not going to let this go without noticing and I decided to go in person and talk face to face to the SA. He personally take the car in and when he comes back with the car he tells me that it was leaking from the drain plug because the technician did not tighten enough.

Now here is my question, if they torque all parts to spec like he affirmed before why the drain plug still leaks?. Needless to say that I am not happy about my experience with this dealership and I am starting to think that they must've done this on purpose to get rid of me since I did not buy the car from them and I am a demanding customer who expects the best workmanship from the service department the same way that I expect it from the manufacturer.

Sorry about my rant but I wanted to share my story being that it was my first experience with a Porsche Service Department.

Last edited by trucheli; 09-29-2015 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

shoddy mechanic plain and simple...
Old 09-29-2015, 10:40 PM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You must be in Miami....
Old 09-29-2015, 10:44 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Why not reset the computer? Other dealerships nearby? Select a different one. As soon as they told you that you can't provide your own oil, I wound have told them adios.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:46 PM
trucheli
Pro

Originally Posted by LCW
You must be in Miami....
Correct
Old 09-29-2015, 10:47 PM
JohnTz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is why I do all service myself. Your story is more common than you think. I have never seen a Porsche service tech do a proper oil drain and usually the cars come out overfilled. In the Chicago area a tech was not even changing the filter and was actually caught by the customer who suspected the job was done too fast and opened the filter housing to check to find a filthy filter that looked like it was in the car for 20k miles. Oil change is a very simple procedure and just requires patience. Try doing it yourself, you will be happy you did knowing it was done right.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:48 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

If they can't do an oil change correctly ..... Run, and never look back. Make sure to fill out the Porsche survey if you get one.

Incompetent or sticking it to you?? Both could be true. They suck either way.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:48 PM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lousy mechanic but, more importantly, a lousy dealership. The service adviser's reaction demonstrators that no one there is committed to great customer service and satisfaction. Consider yourself lucky and move on. Find another service shop.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:52 PM
trucheli
Pro

Originally Posted by LexVan
Why not reset the computer? Other dealerships nearby? Select a different one. As soon as they told you that you can't provide your own oil, I wound have told them adios.
No need to reset the computer at 1200 miles. I purchased my car from a dealer 1.5 hrs from my home but they wanted $375 plus tax as oppose to $200 plus tax. I figured that I could do two oil changes for the price of one since I want to do it every 5000 miles. I guess I rather pay the extra and make sure that they take proper care.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:57 PM
trucheli
Pro

Originally Posted by JohnTz
This is why I do all service myself. Your story is more common than you think. I have never seen a Porsche service tech do a proper oil drain and usually the cars come out overfilled. In the Chicago area a tech was not even changing the filter and was actually caught by the customer who suspected the job was done too fast and opened the filter housing to check to find a filthy filter that looked like it was in the car for 20k miles. Oil change is a very simple procedure and just requires patience. Try doing it yourself, you will be happy you did knowing it was done right.
I have the skills and the tools to do it myself but I figured that at $100 labor was not worth it and also if I made a mistake could've been a very costly mistake. I am reconsidering it.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:11 PM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oil cap was left lose on my old Cayenne one time and puddled in my driveway. Freaked me out that they cross-threaded the plug. I'm not really sure what happened but just wanted to chime in that it happened to me too.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:13 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

AFAIK,if you keep the receipts when doing an oil change yourself,you should be fine with warranty. Also you can use the Carfax App,where you can write down your oil change and mileage to keep the record.
If you are worried about resale value,then nothing beats having dealer records from new.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:59 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Do it yourself, it's easier than you would think, plus you control it being done right and the oil you want to use. I never do dealer oil changes because it's so easy and they almost always f something up. Since you have no dipstick, you can't even tell if they really do an oil change at all! Much less the filter (although in your case the loose fan cover and loose drain bolt makes it obvious they at least drained and refilled it).
Old 09-30-2015, 12:00 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

When you get your predictable PCNA survey, simply tell the truth.
I now deal with my service manager as my service advisor is borderline schizophrenic.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:15 AM
trucheli
Pro

Originally Posted by Dude174
Do it yourself, it's easier than you would think, plus you control it being done right and the oil you want to use. I never do dealer oil changes because it's so easy and they almost always f something up. Since you have no dipstick, you can't even tell if they really do an oil change at all! Much less the filter (although in your case the loose fan cover and loose drain bolt makes it obvious they at least drained and refilled it).
I also questioned if they did it or not since it was so quick. Another thing I hate is that the SAs are on commission and the only thing that interest them is to make a sale. You are just a number to them. They team up with their assigned mechanics to partner in crime.

Quick Reply: I hate to post this!