Sponsored by:

Is it possible to change transmission from PDK to Manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 04:33 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by dr bit
I spoke to Porsche, they said it won't be possible.

Until now .........

BGB, all eyes on you with the RS project

Paging dr bit Transmission reassignment surgery in progress on the GT3 forum.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-i-did-20.html

Last edited by STG; 05-23-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:08 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

After a lifetime of manuals and now having PDK, I'm really starting to enjoy it. The trade off is to enjoy it I'm definitely driving in a more spirited way. It's just ridiculous, even in "manual" mode.

Like everything else it's what you like - if your dreams involve rowing the gears - that's what you're going to embrace, if your dreams are looking for the upper limits of the car, PDK will help you get there faster. Each has their own merits.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:35 PM
KWP1911
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts

I daily my E39 M5 and never get tired of the manual, even in Atlanta traffic. My Corvette is auto and I sometimes wish it were manual. That's no longer a problem since I wrecked it on track last month.

Having said that, I've been limiting my 911 searches to PDKs (and here's where I get grilled) because my wife suggested that if she had to drive it, she'd prefer it.

But I'm really leaning towards the manual just because I love the engagement that I get from controlling the gears and the clutch.

Plus, who really knows how long the clutches will last in PDK cars? I'm at 145K miles in my M5 and only on the second clutch and flywheel. The change was completed within a month of buying it CPO at 33,000 miles. So, I've done over 110K miles on a single clutch/flywheel and never babied my car. I've done several track days as well. Will the PDK will last as long?

I do like the idea of puttering around in traffic with the PDK in auto mode but when I'm in the mountains or on a track, I'd prefer the slower manual transmission.

Decisions, decisions.....
Old 05-23-2017, 06:14 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

That's amazing longevity on the clutch - I think just be reading your post, you have the answer- get the manual! Life is too short to have regrets.

Good luck with your decision!.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:45 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Digging through the archives and i came across this one!
Hahaha!
I should've mentioned : unless you talk with BGB and have the money. Anything is possible!
Old 05-23-2017, 08:20 PM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Long time and hard core manual guy here but bought a 991.2 C4S in PDK, cannot say enough great things about the PDK definitely no regrets. Just wanted to offer a suggestion to folks who haven't tried shifting manually using the center lever. I drive my car 99% of the time in manual mode and exclusively use the center shifter-taking my right hand off the wheel to up and down shift instead of the using the paddles. I find it the perfect balance between the manual/PDK worlds.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to change transmission from PDK to Manual