Sponsored by:

Is it possible to change transmission from PDK to Manual

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 08:58 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy
I did my part. I understand that exactly one third of the GTS Club Coupes, including mine, were ordered with the MT. Interestingly, nearly half of that number are Rennlist members. Go figure. And if it's wrong for me to like the auto rev match feature in sport plus mode, then being wrong feels so right. To the OP, it's probably possible but not practical. But it might not even be possible. If you want to see the work involved on one of the most simple conversions, check out the wheeler dealer 240Z episode.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:22 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Good news is that everybody here is all wet. This modification is EXTREMELY easy, and the best news of all is that it's free! Simply move the PDK lever to the left after you shift into 'Drive.' Now it's a manual.

For added involvement, practice stomping on the dead pedal with your left foot before changing gears with the paddles, buttons, or shift lever. This is said to improve driver engagement, immersion, and virility. And for an even more realistic exercise in classical driving aesthetics, you can emulate driveline disconnection by taking your foot off of the accelerator pedal as well! What's not to like?
Hilarious and I agree 100%. Love a MT, but the PDK in manual mode is awesome, particularly when you're really driving hard.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:49 AM
mikeguitarez
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is one of the funniest threads I have read to date. Almost reminds me of an XP vs Vista or Windows 7 vs 8 vs 8.1 discussion. Maybe Mac vs PC?

Having had my first two Porsches in MT and now having 2 Porsches that are PDKs ... I will say, even if I was tracking these cars, I would still go PDK. I loved working the clutch in my 911 dare I even say 986 Boxster but, PDK performs better than MT.

I don't think its fair to down play the P-car enthusiasts that support PDKs.

So, is it performance or personal enjoyment you seek?

-Mike

Old 09-30-2015, 10:16 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Those are SUVs. They're used for carrying children around,they're the car you want to get stuck in traffic with,are roomy and comfortable. Very capable cars nonetheless. I have driven the Cayenne,not the Macan and it handles very well for an SUV. The Cayenne GTS sounds good too. I don't think many are complaining that those don't come in a manual,even though that would be sweet IMO. I know they had older Cayennes in manual,but very rare.
Here,we are talking 911,Cayman,Boxster,cars that are mainly used for the pleasure of driving.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:05 AM
Winegums
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neanicu
...I understand there are many people that just buy a 911 PDK Porshhh because they have financial power,but are not true enthusiasts. I consider people on this forum enthusiasts,so I'd love to see more manual cars being specced.
Please define what an enthusiast is because I don't think you understand the meaning of the word.To be an enthusiast you just have to be interested in a subject.

Since when does enthusiast mean that you have to love manual transmissions? It has nothing to do with having a love of cars and Porsche.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:12 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Winegums
Please define what an enthusiast is because I don't think you understand the meaning of the word.To be an enthusiast you just have to be interested in a subject. Since when does enthusiast mean that you have to love manual transmissions? It has nothing to do with having a love of cars and Porsche.
When you are basing your sports car purchase on enjoyment and involvement rather than exclusivity,sheer performance numbers like 0-60 and Ring times,or pure technology advancements.
In other words,your main goal is to be 100% percent " in tune " with the car and all inputs and feedback that it's providing : steering feel,brake pedal feel,throttle response,the car's handling characteristics and of course shifting your own gears. PDK is unfortunately eliminating one of those inputs for the sake of " performance ". We are not race car drivers that make a living behind the wheel,at least not most of us.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:16 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Winegums
Please define what an enthusiast is because I don't think you understand the meaning of the word.To be an enthusiast you just have to be interested in a subject.

Since when does enthusiast mean that you have to love manual transmissions? It has nothing to do with having a love of cars and Porsche.
I don't think you understand the meaning of the word enthusiast when it comes to driving. What is meant by the word enthusiast in these contexts (and not your dictionary searches) can be found by doing some simple searches on these forums.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:27 PM
Zekiel
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think Enthusiast, in this context, refers to the act of driving for sporting pleasure and manuals for user involvement, not a reference to loving cars or Porsches in general.

An Enthusiast in this context will take a manual over an automated or semi-automated transmission be it a sports car or a hot-hatch, etc.

Additionally, a Driving Enthusiast, has levels of degree also, some prefer vintage over recent cars just because there is less automation and more engagement: hydraulic or even manual steering racks, less sound deadening, etc.

Last edited by Zekiel; 09-30-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:31 PM
mikeguitarez
Advanced

Those are SUVs. They're used for carrying children around,they're the car you want to get stuck in traffic with,are roomy and comfortable. Very capable cars nonetheless. I have driven the Cayenne,not the Macan and it handles very well for an SUV. The Cayenne GTS sounds good too. I don't think many are complaining that those don't come in a manual,even though that would be sweet IMO. I know they had older Cayennes in manual,but very rare.
Here,we are talking 911,Cayman,Boxster,cars that are mainly used for the pleasure of driving.
SUVs?
My current P-cars:
Panamera = Grand Tourer/Sedan
Macan S = Cross over :P guess compact SUV... whatever...

Panny 14:01->
Macan on track ->

My point was that if I traded my MT Carrera S (which I just swapped for my Panny) for another Carrera, I would totally go PDK. I think this whole thread is a matter of preference. And changing your new 991 from PDK to MT is not a good decision unless you have money to burn.

-Mike

Old 09-30-2015, 01:15 PM
mikeguitarez
Advanced

For the record, My Panamera is a weekend car ... 'pleasure' car. My daily driver is a Ford Edge.... sorry wanted to add that. cheers.

-Mike

Old 09-30-2015, 01:23 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mikeguitarez
For the record, My Panamera is a weekend car ... 'pleasure' car. My daily driver is a Ford Edge.... sorry wanted to add that. cheers. -Mike
That's cool,thanks.

I have to admit I haven't personally driven a Panamera,so I won't pass judgement,although I will say that IMO,it is not the car I'd be interested in carving mountain roads or taking to the track. Is it capable of doing that? Sure,just not as good as a 2 door sports car.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:29 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

When you are basing your sports car purchase on enjoyment and involvement rather than exclusivity,sheer performance numbers like 0-60 and Ring times,or pure technology advancements.
In other words,your main goal is to be 100% percent " in tune " with the car and all inputs and feedback that it's providing : steering feel,brake pedal feel,throttle response,the car's handling characteristics and of course shifting your own gears. PDK is unfortunately eliminating one of those inputs for the sake of " performance ". We are not race car drivers that make a living behind the wheel,at least not most of us.
Couldn't disagree more. The whole MT vs. PDK issue has almost nothing to do with whether you're in tune with the car or not and everything to do with simple personal preference. I'd argue that, given the finite amount of attention and focus one has to divide among all the inputs and touch points in a car, it could be argued that removing the clutch pedal allows the driver to actually be more in tune with the other elements of the car.

The only benefit of a MT is the fun of rowing gears. Anybody who has done this for much of their lifetime, like many of us older folks on here, will tend to enjoy the visceral feel of a full manual transmission. But that's all it is. This argument that the MT allows you to be more 'in tune' with the car is nonsense. Just a bunch of dick swinging.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:39 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Couldn't disagree more. The whole MT vs. PDK issue has almost nothing to do with whether you're in tune with the car or not and everything to do with simple personal preference. I'd argue that, given the finite amount of attention and focus one has to divide among all the inputs and touch points in a car, it could be argued that removing the clutch pedal allows the driver to actually be more in tune with the other elements of the car. The only benefit of a MT is the fun of rowing gears. Anybody who has done this for much of their lifetime, like many of us older folks on here, will tend to enjoy the visceral feel of a full manual transmission. But that's all it is. This argument that the MT allows you to be more 'in tune' with the car is nonsense. Just a bunch of dick swinging.
We are saying the same thing. " The fun of rowing gears " means you are using more inputs in the process of driving the car. You are using your left foot to operate the clutch and your right arm to operate the shift lever(unless it's a RH car). Everything needs to be done in perfect harmony and coordination and the faster you go the more challenging,involving and fun it gets.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:45 PM
Winegums
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 997s07
I don't think you understand the meaning of the word enthusiast when it comes to driving. What is meant by the word enthusiast in these contexts (and not your dictionary searches) can be found by doing some simple searches on these forums.
So you're redirecting me since you can't give me an answer?

Enjoyment and involvement are subjective, and I'm not interested in performance numbers at all when it comes to cars. I'm interesting in how it feels to drive the car, how it puts me back in the seat, how it steers, how it can brake so fast it feels like my face will come off. I really don't care if a Ferrari is faster, or if the new Mclaren can go around the ring 2 seconds faster because it doesn't matter on the street.

I love cars because of the engineering that goes into them, I love them for sounds they make, I love them because they bring together a huge amount of people. I love wrenching on cars and fixing them as much as I love driving them. I love cars because they each offer a unique experience, as diverse and wide spread as the people who drive them.

Being an enthusiast to me means a lot more than wanting to row your own gears and having a third pedal on your car.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,352 Posts

We are saying the same thing. " The fun of rowing gears " means you are using more inputs in the process of driving the car. You are using your left foot to operate the clutch and your right arm to operate the shift lever(unless it's a RH car). Everything needs to be done in perfect harmony and coordination and the faster you go the more challenging,involving and fun it gets.
+1 if you derive pleasure from developing and honing the motor control skills to manually shift then MT is for you, if you grew up playing video games and
have lapped the Nordschleife in a Ford Truck in under 7 minutes (on that
same video game) then PDK is your friend!

p.s
In case of a sense of humor failure, the above is intended to be satirical/sarcastic

Quick Reply: Is it possible to change transmission from PDK to Manual