Sponsored by:

Is it possible to change transmission from PDK to Manual

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 05:53 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeguitarez

On that note, I am cancelling my Xfinity internet service and getting my old 56K modem up back up and running because I am an internet enthusiast and the dialup experience is where its at.

-Mike
I'm sorry if I'm considered old school because I got my license in 2000 and want to enjoy driving the same way I did back in ancient 2007 when no one drove automatics. Sorry for an old geezer like me whose under 35 and has the old habit of actually wanting to have fun driving the car.

Go ahead and cancel your fast internet if you're claiming to enjoy the process of waiting for internet data to download. I've never claimed to enjoy waiting for dial up and waiting for data as I enjoy getting the data so I'll be signing up for fiber. On the other hand I look for excuses to get out and enjoy driving my MT 991 since it gives me a chance to clear my head and it's just fun. Putting the automatic lever in "D" and mashing on the gas pedal isn't fun for me.

From what I've seen most people who buy Ferraris don't put miles on them and have them more for collectors. A lot of celebrities and people with more dollars than sense buy them as trophys. I expected more from Porsche owners.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:22 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
I'm sorry if I'm considered old school because I got my license in 2000 and want to enjoy driving the same way I did back in ancient 2007 when no one drove automatics. Sorry for an old geezer like me whose under 35 and has the old habit of actually wanting to have fun driving the car.

Go ahead and cancel your fast internet if you're claiming to enjoy the process of waiting for internet data to download. I've never claimed to enjoy waiting for dial up and waiting for data as I enjoy getting the data so I'll be signing up for fiber. On the other hand I look for excuses to get out and enjoy driving my MT 991 since it gives me a chance to clear my head and it's just fun. Putting the automatic lever in "D" and mashing on the gas pedal isn't fun for me.

From what I've seen most people who buy Ferraris don't put miles on them and have them more for collectors. A lot of celebrities and people with more dollars than sense buy them as trophys. I expected more from Porsche owners.
I am in my mid 30s as well and have a very stressful job. I have only driven manual cars since I got my license back in Germany. When I drive home, the manual transmission lifts the stress off my back, I come home very relaxed and happy. No problem. Don't bother with analogies - they never apply when comparing PDK vs MT. There is something very rewarding with a perfect heel toe compared to a brake and paddle motion - to me.

I blame the E60 M5 for starting this automatic only business in performance cars. A great engine that needed to perform well so the SMG was mated to it...

The new 991.2 GT3 will very likely have a manual option - given how many people have sold their 991 GT3 cars because they miss the shifting, I am not surprised. Performance is one thing, but engagement is another. Enjoyment is much more subjective.

Last edited by 997s07; 10-01-2015 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-01-2015, 07:42 PM
mikeguitarez
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't sound defensive at all. Hopefully you are joking much like I was with my statement. lol

My point is that MT vs PDK is a matter of preference. However, PDK is faster.

I am 36 and love stick. My previous weekend toy was a Manual Transmission 911S. My current weekend car is a PDK Panamera... my preference.

Its your right to enjoy what you enjoy. We are both entitled to our opinions. I think you may have missed my reply on this thread earlier.

In reference to the internet analogy....
Yeah, the internet analogy was 150000000% a freaking joke lol

I still love a manual gear box. It is fun and in my blood. I've driven MT since 1999 in my college days.

Cheers man.

-Mike

Old 10-01-2015, 09:29 PM
Yard Dog
Instructor

Yeah, yeah. I'm glad you two are seeing eye to eye and all, but really you are missing the OP's point of changing out his PDK for a manual transmission. It's going to be a long winter full of boring posts about the merits and mostly demerits of the 991.2 which I am already half asleep thinking about. But what if the OP decides to actually swap transmissions instead of trading cars like any rational person would do and posts knuckle-skinned pictures above or below breathless text of his problems and victories along the way? Maybe it doesn't sound like much to you, but it has a better chance of shortening winter than the aforementioned angst over the 991.2, the ongoing sagas of someone else's color choice and Chuck's odes to spring to Bee Balm. Even if you don't care about your fellow Rennlisters, you ought to do more to encourage this effort for your own sanity in the long, ice-encrusted months ahead.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:54 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Yard Dog
Yeah, yeah. I'm glad you two are seeing eye to eye and all, but really you are missing the OP's point of changing out his PDK for a manual transmission. It's going to be a long winter full of boring posts about the merits and mostly demerits of the 991.2 which I am already half asleep thinking about. But what if the OP decides to actually swap transmissions instead of trading cars like any rational person would do and posts knuckle-skinned pictures above or below breathless text of his problems and victories along the way? Maybe it doesn't sound like much to you, but it has a better chance of shortening winter than the aforementioned angst over the 991.2, the ongoing sagas of someone else's color choice and Chuck's odes to spring to Bee Balm. Even if you don't care about your fellow Rennlisters, you ought to do more to encourage this effort for your own sanity in the long, ice-encrusted months ahead.
i like your thinking. Let's start a GoFund me to help the OP pay for the tranny as long as he posts pics of the swap all winter.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:52 AM
mikeguitarez
Advanced

Originally Posted by Archimedes
i like your thinking. Let's start a GoFund me to help the OP pay for the tranny as long as he posts pics of the swap all winter.
Or you guys could all just move to FL. :P
Old 10-02-2015, 11:45 AM
maxpowers
Pro

Originally Posted by Yard Dog
I feel awful for him being stuck with the PDK. The best option definitely is to trade it in on a MT.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:47 AM
maxpowers
Pro

Originally Posted by 997s07
I am in my mid 30s as well and have a very stressful job. I have only driven manual cars since I got my license back in Germany. When I drive home, the manual transmission lifts the stress off my back, I come home very relaxed and happy. No problem. Don't bother with analogies - they never apply when comparing PDK vs MT. There is something very rewarding with a perfect heel toe compared to a brake and paddle motion - to me.

I blame the E60 M5 for starting this automatic only business in performance cars. A great engine that needed to perform well so the SMG was mated to it...

The new 991.2 GT3 will very likely have a manual option - given how many people have sold their 991 GT3 cars because they miss the shifting, I am not surprised. Performance is one thing, but engagement is another. Enjoyment is much more subjective.
Exactly! We bought for car for stress relief and driving enjoyment. After a long day it's very therapeutic and fun to get a perfect heel toe downshift. Plus I seem to think better when going out for a drive with the MT. The PDK just doesn't do it for me no matter how fast it is.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:54 PM
dr bit
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would buy an addition 911 - maybe old manual high mileage 997/996 before attempting this mod. You can have your cake and eat it too if you can afford another 20-35K. Two 911s are better then one. lol Have you driven a 911 (assuming 991) comparable to yours in manual to make sure that's what you want? Personally if you are missing the manual gear box you may enjoy the hydraulic steering on an older Carrera as well. You may wreck your trade/sale value for good and possibly lose your warranty messing around like that. Good luck and please keep this thread updated if you move forward. Tread with caution! -Mike
This is a very good option, I will keep the 991 and thinking of getting a 964 MT.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:00 PM
dr bit
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand completely where you're coming from. When I was shopping for the 991 I was extremely frustrated about so many cars only coming in automatics and couldn't have my fun car be an auto (or DCT). There's a video on youtube where someone puts a manual into an automatic mustang, but I'd imagine with the 991 it would be much more complicated even though the transmissions share so many parts. Did you ask Porsche if it's possible? Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJPecRXTmro
I spoke to Porsche, they said it won't be possible.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by dr bit
they just saved you a ton of time, money and angst
Old 10-11-2015, 06:04 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
BTW, I only have these feelings with regard to the latest and greatest dual clutch auto gearboxes out there, of which I think Porsche has one of the best. I would not feel this way about any of the prior generations of automatics/sequential manuals. I would never have bought an automatic in any car that offered a manual prior to these latest gen DCTs from the Germans. But the technology is now so good, that I think it merits consideration by anyone.
I could not have said it better myself. I love MT in something like a 993, but these new DCTs are unreal in manual mode. Nostalgia always yields to progress.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:24 PM
Yard Dog
Instructor

Originally Posted by dr bit
Do it anyway. Show em they're wrong.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
I could not have said it better myself. I love MT in something like a 993, but these new DCTs are unreal in manual mode. Nostalgia always yields to progress.
+1 you pretty much have to drive them in manual mode anyway to access any of the rpm's above 3k ... PDK is programmed (in both normal and sport) to
shift for fuel economy and it loves 7th gear.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:21 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 601 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
It is just too complicated to do a swap,especially in modern cars. You have to change the computer and harness,besides the obvious-clutch pedal and shifter assembly.
I would completely forget this idea and either take a loss and get a manual car or live with PDK.

With that said,I completely agree with your feelings! I will never understand why anyone,that is not physically incapacitated in any shape or form and uses the 911 as a fun car on street and track/doesn't get stuck in traffic every day,would get a PDK car!

Good luck!
Digging through the archives and i came across this one!

Quick Reply: Is it possible to change transmission from PDK to Manual