Reserve your 991 DSC module

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 11:39 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I dont think the B8's are adaptive ...

the DSC is a breeze to install - takes about 15 mins ... almost no tools required (maybe a trim tool)
Got it Larry and I may be off on that number. Not 100 percent. I have the trim tools. I am decent with electronics but could screw up many other things. I leave that to the pros.

I love Youtube. Learn how to be dangerous in less than 15 mins. In an off note. I did order a steering wheel center piece from DB carbon. I will have to make sure I know what I am doing before I try that one. Dealer told me 85 bucks to put it in. When you said trim tools, that sprung into my head (:

UPDATE: Just found this on Bilsteins site Larry. Maybe it is it. Bilstein B8 Damptronic

http://www.bilstein.de/en-uk/product...damptronicreg/
Old 01-13-2016, 01:51 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by stratocaster69
Got it Larry and I may be off on that number. Not 100 percent. I have the trim tools. I am decent with electronics but could screw up many other things. I leave that to the pros.

I love Youtube. Learn how to be dangerous in less than 15 mins. In an off note. I did order a steering wheel center piece from DB carbon. I will have to make sure I know what I am doing before I try that one. Dealer told me 85 bucks to put it in. When you said trim tools, that sprung into my head (:

UPDATE: Just found this on Bilsteins site Larry. Maybe it is it. Bilstein B8 Damptronic

http://www.bilstein.de/en-uk/product...damptronicreg/
trust me its NOT THAT HARD! ... pop the trim out, and its about as difficult to plug you tv in! - and saving you some money!

gotcha on the B8 damptronics! - I learned something new!
Old 01-13-2016, 09:58 AM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

trust me its NOT THAT HARD! ... pop the trim out, and its about as difficult to plug you tv in! - and saving you some money!

gotcha on the B8 damptronics! - I learned something new!
You bet Larry. Cant wait for the spring mod! Later (:
Old 01-13-2016, 03:12 PM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks much Larry. I was on the phone with them today for 30 mins as well. I am for sure going to do this come spring when I can get my car out. Would u upgrade to the Bilsteins for the quicker dampening rate? I won't be tracking. Just spirited driving and cruising.

I think he was saying the current units I have are around 80 milliseconds response, and of course upgrading to Bilsteins makes the response time way quicker. Than there is the spring factor to think about too lol Man, good stuff!
Hey guys,

There's a little bit of confusion here that I'd like to clear up. Stratocaster69 and I discussed the various options for an active set up at great length yesterday, so I think he just mixed up a few of those - understandably so.

The entire Bilstein damptronic line (consists of B4, B6, B8, B16) has a response time of approximately 80-100 milliseconds. It's the Tractive DDA line that responds every 6 milliseconds (I once calculated it out and at about 60mph I believe this represented about 6 inches of travel).

We recommend only two options for electronic dampers. The B8 or the Tractive DDA. B4 is essentially your OEM replacement. I suppose this may be a viable option if you're doing a Stand Alone Kit and do not have electronic dampers. However, for a trivial increase in cost, the B8 is a better option. B6 is what they call "heavy duty" - we don't see much difference in this option from that of the B4. B8 introduces the inverted monotube design, which is one reason it's superior to the B4/B6. It allows you to retain OEM springs or swap out for bell-shaped OEM-like springs. The B16 is the Bilstein coilover kit. While it does provide added advantages, by the time you add top mounts to a B16 purchase (which you would really be doing the damper an injustice not to) you're approaching the price of the Tractive DDA coilover kit, which comes with Swift springs and top mounts and camber plates. For a little more money, you're getting a much better package, which is why we typically don't recommend the B16.

Bilstein manufacturers your OEM PASM shock. Throughout their entire line from B4-B16, there is no difference in the performance of the damping, response time, etc. The only improvements come from the mechanics of the shocks. They all run 80-100 msec response times.

Sorry for any confusion.

- Jordan
Old 01-13-2016, 03:14 PM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

certainly for street use - if you were really competitive on track it *might* be worth something faster ... I think their Tractive DDA system is something in the region of 6-9ms response...

probably a better motivation for changing to B16's is to get the adjustable ride height and ability to corner balance ... the faster response is gravy
And, yes Larry you are correct. That would be the biggest benefit to changing to the B16s
Old 01-13-2016, 03:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Hey guys,

There's a little bit of confusion here that I'd like to clear up. Stratocaster69 and I discussed the various options for an active set up at great length yesterday, so I think he just mixed up a few of those - understandably so.

The entire Bilstein damptronic line (consists of B4, B6, B8, B16) has a response time of approximately 80-100 milliseconds. It's the Tractive DDA line that responds every 6 milliseconds (I once calculated it out and at about 60mph I believe this represented about 6 inches of travel).

We recommend only two options for electronic dampers. The B8 or the Tractive DDA. B4 is essentially your OEM replacement. I suppose this may be a viable option if you're doing a Stand Alone Kit and do not have electronic dampers. However, for a trivial increase in cost, the B8 is a better option. B6 is what they call "heavy duty" - we don't see much difference in this option from that of the B4. B8 introduces the inverted monotube design, which is one reason it's superior to the B4/B6. It allows you to retain OEM springs or swap out for bell-shaped OEM-like springs. The B16 is the Bilstein coilover kit. While it does provide added advantages, by the time you add top mounts to a B16 purchase (which you would really be doing the damper an injustice not to) you're approaching the price of the Tractive DDA coilover kit, which comes with Swift springs and top mounts and camber plates. For a little more money, you're getting a much better package, which is why we typically don't recommend the B16.

Bilstein manufacturers your OEM PASM shock. Throughout their entire line from B4-B16, there is no difference in the performance of the damping, response time, etc. The only improvements come from the mechanics of the shocks. They all run 80-100 msec response times.

Sorry for any confusion.

- Jordan
I suspected as much!
Old 01-13-2016, 03:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Hey guys,

Sorry for any confusion.

- Jordan
This is very useful to know, I had previously wondered about the ability to change the springs on the B16, they look like "std" 2.25" springs... and I
agree that if you are doing coilovers you should also have adjustable camber
plates/mounts ...

The fact that your Tractive DDA solution comes "out of the box" with such,
as well as having the ability to change spring rates (what about matching valving) along with the much faster damping response rate really makes
those and attractive alternative especially if the price difference is "trivial"

Old 01-13-2016, 07:53 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

For us not interested in all the customization.... We can just plug this in, and drive like always but with a better tuned suspension? Button not on = better & soft, button on = better & stiff? (Sorry if over simplifying)
Old 01-13-2016, 08:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Yes
Old 01-13-2016, 08:20 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Hey guys,

Sorry for any confusion.

- Jordan
Thanks Jordan for setting it straight. Sorry bout that (: Talk to you in the spring when I get my controller!
Old 01-14-2016, 01:40 PM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by c_Gio
For us not interested in all the customization.... We can just plug this in, and drive like always but with a better tuned suspension? Button not on = better & soft, button on = better & stiff? (Sorry if over simplifying)
Yes, the DSC Sport module is a complete Plug N Play system. While upgrading your coilovers will provide better performance on the track, it is in no way necessary if your vehicle is already equipped with PASM and you just want better ride and performance on the street.

The newest DSC software/firmware provides two modes, Normal and Sport, much like the factory. However, DSC provides dynamic suspension control that optimizes damping value in real time based on driver and vehicle inputs.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:14 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Yes, the DSC Sport module is a complete Plug N Play system. While upgrading your coilovers will provide better performance on the track, it is in no way necessary if your vehicle is already equipped with PASM and you just want better ride and performance on the street.

The newest DSC software/firmware provides two modes, Normal and Sport, much like the factory. However, DSC provides dynamic suspension control that optimizes damping value in real time based on driver and vehicle inputs.
Hi, I forgot to ask you the other day. Does the PASM button blink or act the same with the DSC plugged in as far as lights indicating it is on? I thought I read somewhere it would blink 1, 2, or 3 times, depending on a mode. Or is it just light on or off for two modes, normal and sport! Thanks
Old 01-14-2016, 03:15 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Hi, I forgot to ask you the other day. Does the normal sport button blink act the same with the DSC plugged in as far as lights indicating it is on? I thought I read somewhere it would blink 1, 2, or 3 times, depending on a mode. Thanks
That's how the v1 controller works, the v2 uses the cars "normal" & "sport" indicators ...
Old 01-14-2016, 03:18 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

That's how the v1 controller works, the v2 uses the cars "normal" & "sport" indicators ...
Simple enough, thanks Larry! This is the way the suspension should work from the get go. Larry have you put a unit in your GTS yet and if so do the rear seats have to come out to get to it? Thanks
Old 01-14-2016, 05:11 PM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Admittedly, the nomenclature we've been using to designate controller type and firmware version is a little confusing.

The V1 controller refers to the 9x7 Plug N Play unit. The V2 is the 9x1 controller featuring velocity tuning and dynamic motor mount control.

Whether or not it uses the 3-mode blink sequence or 2-mode factory-like "normal" and "sport" indicators depends on the firmware. Both 2-mode and 3-mode firmware are available. We encourage people to update to the 2-mode firmware, as it is a superior tuning strategy and that way everybody is on the same firmware.

However, for those that feel they are losing something by switching to two, instead of three, modes we will still offer the 3-mode version

Quick Reply: Reserve your 991 DSC module