991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bye bye manuals

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015 | 05:04 PM
maxpowers
Pro

I taught one of my friends to drive a manual in about 20 minutes. After he practiced a few times he was able to drive without me in the car and eventually he bought a manual. It's not rocket science and adds so much more joy to the experience I can't imagine ever going back to a 2 pedal automatic.

Originally Posted by Petevb
Agreed. Yet perspective shifts when you're doing something purely for pleasure. If it's only about the journey then it makes sense to make that journey as involving and pleasurable as possible.

I fully understand the steep learning curve of the manual, and the fact that for most it won't make sense to climb. If you're really serious it does: there are decades of epic cars that are amazing experiences you'll be deprived of if you never master a manual. For the casual driver, however, that investment in time, effort and embarrassment is likely not worthwhile. And the average driver is a casual driver, and most will never have the opportunity to drive the greats anyway.

For the same reasons you'd rather drive than be driven, however, you might think about picking up an older manual and learning its charms. It doesn't need to be expensive- Miatas, 968s, Boxsters- there are lots of good gateway drugs... Something to consider.
Old 09-16-2015 | 05:08 PM
911searcher
Pro

I've never driven an automatic car.
Stick or die baby.

Given that the manual gearbox has been engineered to work with the new 3.0-liter twin-turbo engine, it's not quite in its death throes just yet. These engines will be carried forward into the next-generation 911, due around 2018, which should be on sale until at least 2025.
Nice to know they will still be available.

Too bad young kids don't learn "standard" anymore. My son will have to learn it if he wants to drive a Porsche because I'll switch car companies before I drive an automatic Porsche.
Old 09-16-2015 | 05:39 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

I don't think Porsche cares about losing the 10% MT users. As the millenniums get more affluent, Porsche will make up that loss and then some. And good luck going to another car maker that offers MT - if you have not noticed, the writing is on the wall.
Old 09-16-2015 | 08:48 PM
mi650
Racer

Originally Posted by 911searcher
I've never driven an automatic car.
Stick or die baby.

Nice to know they will still be available.

Too bad young kids don't learn "standard" anymore. My son will have to learn it if he wants to drive a Porsche because I'll switch car companies before I drive an automatic Porsche.

I took drivers ed in 1981, and had to learn to drive in an auto. Manuals weren't available. I learned to drive a stick in the Army, on a deuce and 1/2.
Old 09-16-2015 | 09:23 PM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

I just traded a 07 Turbo 6 speed for a 991S PDK. I guess I'm not normal..
Old 09-16-2015 | 09:29 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

It's hard to say how big the manual market will be over time; Porsche was clearly shocked by the demand for the manual only GT4, so they don't always get it right.
I don't think people were demanding a manual GT4. They were demanding a Cayman whose engine wasn't neutered to keep it uncompetitive with the 911. So Porsche gave the GT4 a strong engine and a suboptimal transmission, chuckling to themselves all the way to the bank as usual.
Old 09-16-2015 | 09:39 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Default Bye bye manuals

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
I don't think people were demanding a manual GT4. They were demanding a Cayman whose engine wasn't neutered to keep it uncompetitive with the 911. So Porsche gave the GT4 a strong engine and a suboptimal transmission, chuckling to themselves all the way to the bank as usual.
44.37% say otherwise :

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/8891...ing-a-gt4.html
Old 09-16-2015 | 09:50 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

The future will be interesting but most likely you can expect drop like a rock depreciation on PDK models.

That is unless Porsche does like they did with manual transmission parts and finally allows you to buy individual parts inside the transmission. Anyone looking to put 14k into what will be a sub 30k car is going to cry.
Old 09-16-2015 | 09:54 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

I guess we all have a level of interaction we're comfortable with. When self-driving cars are common ....... I suspect the generation after you will have many similar things to say about driving themselves...

many futurists are right now saying a child born today will probably never learn to drive nor have the need to learn , ever .....there will be fleets of on demand robot driven vehicles , rendering pvt car ownership by then a quaint memory of those with history of the lifetime money drain that it was ...when you think of all the millions of dollars lost in opportunity cost from age 20- 80 yrs spent on cars, insurance, maintenance, parking , health cost related wear and tear on yourself , etc., etc., for something NOT USED greater than 90% or more of the time by said owner

look at people paying up to a million dollars for a single deeded parking space in places like NYC

Uber recently " bought " the entire 40 person leading edge auto robotics team at Carnegie Mellon University and will give them all the space , money and anything they need to go full speed ahead for them ..not to mention lotsa equity
The CEO says he wants the company to robotize the world of on -demand tasks , whatever they may be over the next decades
Old 09-16-2015 | 10:05 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MKW
many futurists are right now saying a child born today will probably never learn to drive nor have the need to learn , ever .....there will be fleets of on demand robot driven vehicles , rendering pvt car ownership by then a quaint memory of those with history of the lifetime money drain that it was ...when you think of all the millions of dollars lost in opportunity cost from age 20- 80 yrs spent on cars, insurance, maintenance, parking , health cost related wear and tear on yourself , etc., etc., for something NOT USED greater than 90% or more of the time by said owner

look at people paying up to a million dollars for a single deeded parking space in places like NYC

Uber recently " bought " the entire 40 person leading edge auto robotics team at Carnegie Mellon University and will give them all the space , money and anything they need to go full speed ahead for them ..not to mention lotsa equity
The CEO says he wants the company to robotize the world of on -demand tasks , whatever they may be over the next decades
I wouldn't be against those futurists. I hope the world that they envision has a place for my human-driven, manual-transmission, gas-eating 911s.

Assuming the futurists are right, I wonder where the kids being born today are going to make out when they get to high school.
Old 09-16-2015 | 11:27 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I don't think Porsche cares about losing the 10% MT users. As the millenniums get more affluent, Porsche will make up that loss and then some. And good luck going to another car maker that offers MT - if you have not noticed, the writing is on the wall.
Interesting factoid I read just the other day. MINI still offers manual transmission in every car they sell in the U.S. at all trim levels. I'm a MINI fan and owner and find it kind of interesting that their take rate on manuals is quite a bit higher here than Porsches.
Old 09-16-2015 | 11:30 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy
I wouldn't be against those futurists. I hope the world that they envision has a place for my human-driven, manual-transmission, gas-eating 911s.

Assuming the futurists are right, I wonder where the kids being born today are going to make out when they get to high school.
having two girls of around this age ...no one " makes out " anymore ...there is no mystery - driven hormonal desire to " date " someone when you know everything good and bad about everyone your age within 50 miles of your house, school, work etc., ..most of that info , warts and all, being put out by those people themselves

they get together via social media generated parties of a few to many..from what I have heard, my girls and their peers think one on one dating at this age is strange and " creepy " !

interesting observation we and many parents have right now ...when we were in college very few woman did semesters or years abroad during college ...now the VAST majority of them are women and they do this easily and safely by large " packs " of different female friends congregating each weekend in a different country via social networking, last minute on-line arranging of rooms, planes, rides, while they are there..esp those in Europe ...no need for male companions anymore , anywhere even as " protection "
Old 09-16-2015 | 11:50 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
I don't think that proves what you think it proves.
Old 09-17-2015 | 12:09 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
^ That.

When (not if) Porsche introduces a PDK option for the GT4, it will be interesting to see which iteration sells more. The 6MT or the PDK version.
Old 09-17-2015 | 12:20 AM
Dan991
Advanced

I've said it before- Porsche is in danger of being the best typewriter manufacture in a desktop computer world

I think you mean the best desktop computer maker in an iPhone world.

Quick Reply: Bye bye manuals