Sponsored by:

GT Sport Steering Wheel on 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 02:58 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
So the small version is only available in Alcantara? No leather? 360mm correct?

This wheel available with paddle shifters only? No buttons.
That is my understanding, yes.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:07 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicRat
That is my understanding, yes.
I guess the GT wheel is available without MF and in leather too. Up in the air about the "bolt" look. Like the small size.

Million dollar question, no issues doing a swap "if" not utilizing the MF version or the one with the sport buttons on it? Only a manual or PDK/paddle wheel with a stalk for functions.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:47 AM
STG
Race Director

Saw the GT Sport wheel in person yesterday. I think they dropped the ball on it. Looks less sporty than the standard version (which I like from the pics). Best thing about the new .2 wheel is the smaller airbag. The .1 seems huge compared to it.

There's too much black plastic on it and not enough silver. The black is just a standard flat black plastic and has a cheap look to it. The bolts not a great look either. No 12 o'clock mark on it either. A bit bizarre.

Saw a 991.2 4S w/PSE being delivered. Owner was about to drive off with it. The mechanic was driving around the lot a few times to test the TPMS sensors on a set of a winter tire set. Seems as if the .1 and .2 may not be compatible. At slow speeds did not sound good. A definite whizzing sound. This was at 5mph at a constant RPM range. From the reviews, the exhaust does seem to come alive pushing the car. Was after closing time and didn't have a chance for a test drive. That Graphite color does look sharp.

Also, a PSE upgrade seems to be more expensive and will require more work than doing it on the .1 generation from what they thought. Aside from just a new rear valance. Was surprised that the two center PSE exhaust tips looked bigger in person than I had seen in pics.

The new door handle felt good when opening the door too.

Last edited by STG; 03-22-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:53 PM
STG
Race Director

I still think the RS wheel is the best. Just not a fan of Alcantara. Nice and clean looking and smaller 360mm size.

At almost $2,900 not cheap. Add another $1K for an airbag.

I guess the standard .2 wheel is the closest you'll get to it.

Anyone know if the plug in harnesses are different between the two above wheels??

The RS one does work on the 991.1 seeing the RS is a 991.1

Yet to see a .2 wheel put on a .1

Anyone???

Last edited by STG; 03-22-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:45 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 235 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Saw the GT Sport wheel in person yesterday. I think they dropped the ball on it. Looks less sporty than the standard version (which I like from the pics). Best thing about the new .2 wheel is the smaller airbag. The .1 seems huge compared to it.

There's too much black plastic on it and not enough silver. The black is just a standard flat black plastic and has a cheap look to it. The bolts not a great look either. No 12 o'clock mark on it either. A bit bizarre.

Saw a 991.2 4S w/PSE being delivered. Owner was about to drive off with it. The mechanic was driving around the lot a few times to test the TPMS sensors on a set of a winter tire set. Seems as if the .1 and .2 may not be compatible. At slow speeds did not sound good. A definite whizzing sound. This was at 5mph at a constant RPM range. From the reviews, the exhaust does seem to come alive pushing the car. Was after closing time and didn't have a chance for a test drive. That Graphite color does look sharp.

Also, a PSE upgrade seems to be more expensive and will require more work than doing it on the .1 generation from what they thought. Aside from just a new rear valance. Was surprised that the two center PSE exhaust tips looked bigger in person than I had seen in pics.

The new door handle felt good when opening the door too.
Please clarify. What is not compatible? Thanks
Old 03-22-2016, 03:49 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by n2cars
Please clarify. What is not compatible? Thanks
The TPMS sensors between the .1 and .2

Sorry, wasn't very clear. They put on a winter set of wheels/tires on a .2 taken off a .1 and the sensors were not linking. Assuming that the sensors already on those wheels worked.

A "might not" be from what I observed.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:15 PM
STG
Race Director

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-a...heel-swap.html

Macan wheel to a Cayman worked
Old 03-24-2016, 09:45 AM
STG
Race Director

Question:

For the PDK, the paddles on the .2 steering wheel look shorter than the .1 Sport steering wheel. Is that accurate?
Old 06-09-2017, 03:30 PM
LUFTIG
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by coxswain
This new option comes with a smaller (360mm in diameter) and fatter steering wheel. 360mm steering wheels are used in GT3RS and 918 Spyder.
The good thing is that this wheel can be had with multifunction buttons or simply without them. This will be a popular option for 991.2 drivers.

The GT wheel in the first picture is smaller than the regular one in the second picture; and the third picture, without multifunction buttons:

I haven't read this entire thread, so I apologize if it's already been raised...

I'm located in Canada and have a 2018 Targa 4 GTS on order. I was quite confused by the GT Sport Steering Wheel option. I like the look of this steering wheel, but I also want the heated/multifunction aspect.

My sales rep called PORSCHE Canada and they told him that the GT Sport Steering Wheel is automatically heated/multifunction. It appears that in Canada you cannot get the GT Sport Steering Wheel without heated/multifunction. This is consistent with the PORSCHE.ca configurator. It offers the GT Sport Steering Wheel as a $0 option, but does not prompt you further regarding heated/multifunction.

Where the confusion arises, however, is that the image on the configurator only shows the GT Sport Steering Wheel without multifunction buttons.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:36 AM
smbryan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the opportunity to sit in the turbo with [insert name here] from corporate in pax seat while futzing with this new version of the wheel while back... After remarking it seemed easier to use, was told the goal was exactly that. "It was designed to allow the driver to do things while doing 200mph on the Autobahn without having to look away or down." The paddles have less travel and simply click as opposed to the pull. It is in fact smaller as well.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:37 AM
smbryan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Question:

For the PDK, the paddles on the .2 steering wheel look shorter than the .1 Sport steering wheel. Is that accurate?
Yes they are more clickable and less pullable

Quick Reply: GT Sport Steering Wheel on 991.2