GT Sport Steering Wheel on 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 05:22 PM
shaggy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hooked on Buttons

Originally Posted by jlee504
arrgggh, I would love to find an alternative to my multifunction steering wheel.

are there any aftermarket solutions?

Its just so ugly..
Totally agree. But I am hooked on the buttons.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:50 PM
JerryAlbee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What was the change to the speedometer with the 991.2?
Old 11-18-2015, 06:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryAlbee
What was the change to the speedometer with the 991.2?
well one change was that the '+' & '-' for the PDK shifter 'flipped' from the 991.1 speedo ... along with the center console and PDK shifter 'sense'...
Old 11-18-2015, 06:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by mtony
Alway wished my steering wheel had thicker padding. Really like the feel of the BMW M steering wheels.
+1
Old 02-24-2016, 01:01 PM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STG991

New R8
Yup, thank you very much sir! Seems like that those two entities that are in the Luxury Division (Porsche and Audi) under the VW Umbrella. First time I saw the new Audi Steering Wheel I just about layed an egg (Sorry I'm a math guy; should it be "Laid an Egg"?). Then I thought about the whole "Nameplate" Engineering DooDah. They both look incredibly alike.

For the Porsche I feel that the new steering wheel is a big step in the right direction. How the spokes are designed More Modular in that I mean at the factorty or post delivery items can be added very esaliy or much can be put in place as desired. It was for sure a swing in the right direction for Porsche, or Audi if they actually created the wheel. To help my longshanks I'm for sure getting my first Porsche with the Smaller GT Wheel. Will help with driving for sure.

Thank you.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:57 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've done quite a bit of investigating about this, and it seems Porsche really really don't want people putting 991.2 wheels on 991.1s (which, I am aware, probably means they'd work absolutely fine). The difficulty and expense, plus the vague sense I'd be mongrelising my car (and the non-functioning manettino - even if it could somehow be rewired to be a mode switch it would be redundant, and I-mode would not do anything) have put me off.

Instead I'm getting my wheel covered in alcantara and having a Techart conversion. Next best thing to 'real' paddles, and I get to keep my heating and easy-fiddle stereo volume switch. Also, I have the wheel set as low as possible, which obscures half the rev counter anyway, so a smaller wheel might make that worse.

Will post photos when all is done...
Old 02-24-2016, 04:32 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 332 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicRat
I've done quite a bit of investigating about this, and it seems Porsche really really don't want people putting 991.2 wheels on 991.1s (which, I am aware, probably means they'd work absolutely fine). The difficulty and expense, plus the vague sense I'd be mongrelising my car (and the non-functioning manettino - even if it could somehow be rewired to be a mode switch it would be redundant, and I-mode would not do anything) have put me off.

Instead I'm getting my wheel covered in alcantara and having a Techart conversion. Next best thing to 'real' paddles, and I get to keep my heating and easy-fiddle stereo volume switch. Also, I have the wheel set as low as possible, which obscures half the rev counter anyway, so a smaller wheel might make that worse.

Will post photos when all is done...
Perhaps not relevant given you have the MF wheel but it has been done already... see this thread. If the price wasn't ridiculous I'd be all over this myself.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:41 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vise
Perhaps not relevant given you have the MF wheel but it has been done already... see this thread. If the price wasn't ridiculous I'd be all over this myself.
Have been admiring that thread very much. I guess I could just wait until the MF version of that wheel is available as a spare, but they will probably be asking an even more extraordinary sum...
Old 02-25-2016, 10:21 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Wow, update. Suncoast now have the GT-sport MF wheel in alcantara for the very reasonable price of $880 (doubly reasonable if .1 airbag fits). My guy is looking into it with them, but hopefully it can be made to work (and if the non-MF wheel works, as on the GT3-conversion thread, then I see no reason why the MF one shouldn't, if the car in question already has MF, which mine does). Also if one orders a non-sport+ wheel, then the rotary dial I wouldn't need wouldn't be there, so win.

Will see what happens...
Old 02-25-2016, 10:38 AM
Vise
Drifting

Received 332 Likes on 205 Posts

Wow, update. Suncoast now have the GT-sport MF wheel in alcantara for the very reasonable price of $880 (doubly reasonable if .1 airbag fits). My guy is looking into it with them, but hopefully it can be made to work (and if the non-MF wheel works, as on the GT3-conversion thread, then I see no reason why the MF one shouldn't, if the car in question already has MF, which mine does). Also if one orders a non-sport+ wheel, then the rotary dial I wouldn't need wouldn't be there, so win.

Will see what happens...
Didn't get a chance to reply last night but was going to mention they already have the 991.2 steering wheels including MF alcantara. It is confirmed however you need a new airbag, the wheel comes bare (like this one below) and the airbag is one piece including the cover which is different than previous. Probably not an area to mess around with either.

That said remains to be seen if the MF functions are compatible from the old wheel to the new one... that could be a bit of a gamble based on the $.

What I'd be interested in (down the road) is the GT Sport steering wheel in alcantara for a PDK car but without the MF buttons. If anyone comes across this option please let us know.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:38 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

You need the 2017 airbag with the new wheel. Like $1K

The 991.1 airbag doesn't work
Old 02-25-2016, 10:58 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Thanks. Not cheap then. Still probably not that much more than having mine recovered and adding the Techart, though. Will see what comes back about MF compatibility.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:44 PM
Leenseen
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Will see what happens...
If be willing to throw some money in a gofundme

if you want to be the first to try it (MF part not airbag part!)
Old 02-28-2016, 01:03 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
You need the 2017 airbag with the new wheel. Like $1K

The 991.1 airbag doesn't work
So how does the cost of the 991.2 multifunction steering wheel and airbag compare to the cost to swap a 991.1 sport design wheel and steering column multifunction stalk?

I assume the 991.2 multifunction wheel is plug and play with the 991.1 multifunction wheel?
Old 02-28-2016, 01:15 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by go.illini
So how does the cost of the 991.2 multifunction steering wheel and airbag compare to the cost to swap a 991.1 sport design wheel and steering column multifunction stalk?

I assume the 991.2 multifunction wheel is plug and play with the 991.1 multifunction wheel?
On the 991.1 swap, the airbag can be reused among the steering wheels.

The .1 and .2 wheels and airbags are around the same price.

Going to the 991.2, you need a new airbag which doubles your cost.

From the looks of it, the 991.2 does work with 991.1 as far as a swap.

I don't believe the version with the rotary **** whatever that does in the 991.2 will carry over. Not quite sure and haven't researched it.

Quick Reply: GT Sport Steering Wheel on 991.2