Sponsored by:

GT Sport Steering Wheel on 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 09:57 PM
coxswain
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT Sport Steering Wheel on 991.2

This new option comes with a smaller (360mm in diameter) and fatter steering wheel. 360mm steering wheels are used in GT3RS and 918 Spyder.
The good thing is that this wheel can be had with multifunction buttons or simply without them. This will be a popular option for 991.2 drivers.

The GT wheel in the first picture is smaller than the regular one in the second picture; and the third picture, without multifunction buttons:

Last edited by coxswain; 09-09-2015 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:01 PM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems to me that if both can be had with proper paddle shifters, multifunction buttons and the new drive mode dial, then it just boils down to aesthetic sense..... Is that correct? Or is there a functional aspect to the GT3 steering wheel? Thank you
Old 09-08-2015, 10:06 PM
coxswain
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LCW
Seems to me that if both can be had with proper paddle shifters, multifunction buttons and the new drive mode dial, then it just boils down to aesthetic sense..... Is that correct? Or is there a functional aspect to the GT3 steering wheel? Thank you
I guess that some people will think a smaller and fatter wheel will be generally sportier in handling and certainly better for tracking. Some others will give a rat's *** about the small size difference in the steering wheel. It will certainly look cooler than the regular big-sized wheel, though.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:20 AM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

this looks very similar to my MF wheel on Macan S minus the drive mode button- it's sweet.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:30 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Who will be first to try back dating this onto their 991.1 sport design?? I'll be second!! STG get in here!!,
Old 09-09-2015, 12:39 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by c_Gio
Who will be first to try back dating this onto their 991.1 sport design?? I'll be second!! STG get in here!!,

There is a story on the GT3 forum that someone put the RS steering wheel on a GT3. Haven't traced back any concrete evidence.

The airbag is a different size too. I guess there was a new control module needed and "recoding" involved. Sounds very expensive and too much effort. Not willing to spend 3K or so to do it. I like the sport design wheel to be honest with you.

Not really a fan of putting a newer generations parts on an older one. The question came up on the GT3 forum today about putting the new tail lights on a 991.1 GT3. Different size and different bumper too. Not a direct swap. They have a different shape. More squared corners.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:47 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991

There is a story on the GT3 forum that someone put the RS steering wheel on a GT3. Haven't traced back any concrete evidence.

The airbag is a different size too. I guess there was a new control module needed and "recoding" involved. Sounds very expensive and too much effort. Not willing to spend 3K or so to do it. I like the sport design wheel to be honest with you.

Not really a fan of putting a newer generations parts on an older one. The question came up on the GT3 forum today about putting the new tail lights on a 991.1 GT3. Different size and different bumper too. Not a direct swap. They have a different shape. More squared corners.
Oh man you actually showed when I used your name! Like a genie!!

I only mentioned you because--didn't you install a sport design wheel after the fact? Am I remembering right?
Old 09-09-2015, 01:00 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by c_Gio
Oh man you actually showed when I used your name! Like a genie!!

I only mentioned you because--didn't you install a sport design wheel after the fact? Am I remembering right?

I did. Was an easy swap at the dealer. In that case, just like adding PSE to a car that doesn't have it. An option available on the current model.

With the new 991.2 steering wheel, Porsche intentionally makes things difficult. They want you to buy the "new", not retrofit on an older generation. Plus with the buttons on the wheel, there's so much different wiring for those functions going on.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

I'm a bit pissed off they finally got the sense of the PDk shifter "right" ... I'd love it if this were retrofitable but note that they "fixed" the speedo as well ... so that's not going to happen
Old 09-09-2015, 07:31 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I'm a bit pissed off they finally got the sense of the PDk shifter "right" ... I'd love it if this were retrofitable but note that they "fixed" the speedo as well ... so that's not going to happen
Agree. Took me a couple weeks to avoid going second to first once in a while, luckily at slow speeds. What idiot thought the upshift should be forward? It's the same in my RS5 and I do not like it.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Agree. Took me a couple weeks to avoid going second to first once in a while, luckily at slow speeds. What idiot thought the upshift should be forward? It's the same in my RS5 and I do not like it.
I recall somewhere someone "blaming" Walter R for the original setup ... I think its pretty much an admission of "guilt" that they have finally reverted it ...

its **** ... its not at all intuitive ... and not they have gone and fixed it!

BASTARDS!

at least we have paddle shifters (to replace those stupid buttons) so we dont have to use the PDK at all ... but its "annoying" none the less.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:11 PM
Puf n Stuf
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
+1. My knowledge of the workings of all the hidden bits is close to zilch but I would have thought that when you're pushing or pulling on the selector, all that is happening is that one of two electrical switches is being activated. One for up-changes and the other for down. Thus, iff the wiring to the switches was transposed, then + would become - and vice-versa. Who's brave enough to give it a try?

Of course, if I'm talking bollocks then put me right.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:15 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Puf n Stuf
+1. My knowledge of the workings of all the hidden bits is close to zilch but I would have thought that when you're pushing or pulling on the selector, all that is happening is that one of two electrical switches is being activated. One for up-changes and the other for down. Thus, iff the wiring to the switches was transposed, then + would become - and vice-versa. Who's brave enough to give it a try?

Of course, if I'm talking bollocks then put me right.
Nope my bollocks detector is silent ... I agree entirely with your assessment, bu sadly the OCD in me would not allow such a retrofit in my car w/o also changing the +/- on the center console ... and those bastards ... on the speedo (ok I might be able to live with that one ... just)

I'm now reminded of Richard Harris in the 1974 film "juggernaut" when Freddie Jones tried to fool him into cutting the wrong wire! ... "fallon's the champion"
Old 09-09-2015, 08:20 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
With the new 991.2 steering wheel, Porsche intentionally makes things difficult. They want you to buy the "new", not retrofit on an older generation. Plus with the buttons on the wheel, there's so much different wiring for those functions going on.
I would suspect it's all CAN bus, like the center console. So it's more of a problem of the gateway, ECU, etc. to understand what messages are being sent. You would think they could make a software upgrade to enable it.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:23 PM
STG
Race Director

New R8

Quick Reply: GT Sport Steering Wheel on 991.2