Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Because they like yellow?
Lol!
Old 09-07-2015, 10:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I hate the yellow too. Maybe gold like BMW or an up charge for pts? Really they should paint them red then charge for the yellow, as that is the Porsche way. You've established it, now is the time Porsche!

Btw, does anyone know the color the 991.2 is being shown in? It's like a steel blue kinda like anvil.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:27 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
The big boys come on the 991.2 Carrera S now if getting them @ $8,520
I wonder if the bigger PCCBs were necessary to offset the extra 80lbs of engine weight and maintain their same effectiveness as on the lighter NA cars.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:32 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 118 Posts

If only color is what your looking for, call your favorite powder coater for scheduling (to prevent long down time) and choose any color you like. Approx. $ 400 for all w/shipping both ways. T
Attached Images  

Last edited by 77tony; 09-08-2015 at 12:13 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:28 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Default School me on why peeps buy ceramic brakes

Originally Posted by ibmiked
I wonder if the bigger PCCBs were necessary to offset the extra 80lbs of engine weight and maintain their same effectiveness as on the lighter NA cars.
I think it's mostly a matter of having a common size for production and economies of scale? The bigger ones can't hurt.

Plus, once they start producing the 4S and add on things like rear steering and front lifts, that's definitely alot more weight in addition to the 88lb. increase in engine weight. It's all adds up.

My guess.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:15 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 426 Likes on 181 Posts

Buying a basic 991 with PCCBs seems to be a waste, but on a GT3 or a Turbo they are a smaller percentage of the cost. If you heavily track your car it makes sense. i have friend that only tracks his GT3 with steel rotors, and he had to replace, calpers,rotors and pads at 3K mi, cost him $10K.
Conversely, I have a TTS with 27K mi, 26 track days, and I am om my 4th set of pads and my PCCB rotors look like new!
Oh, and I have never hand washed my wheels!
Old 09-08-2015, 11:31 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl911
i have friend that only tracks his GT3 with steel rotors, and he had to replace, calpers,rotors and pads at 3K mi, cost him $10K.
A full set of OEM rotors and pads costs less than $3200 at Suncoast.
No idea why he'd need to replace calipers unless he wore the pads down to nothing, but they are the same calipers as PCCB, so it's likely that if you'd done the same you'd have been looking at $30k.

Originally Posted by Karl911
I have a TTS with... 26 track days, and I am om my 4th set of pads and my PCCB rotors look like new!
Next time you get your pads changed, please have Porsche use their PCCB disk tool on your rotors. You can't visually gauge rotor health with PCCB- the carbon burns away leaving ceramic, but visually it looks the same until the ceramic starts to break up. Hence Porsche has a carbon content measurement tool to check disk health. More measurements from this tool will help us gauge the true lifespan of Gen 3 disks. The tracks and times you drive would also be helpful, as PCCBs only fail under extreme heat, so tracks or drivers that are easy on the brakes will do far better...

Last edited by Petevb; 09-08-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:55 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Or maybe they just chose different options than you. My car with PCCB brakes had a lower MSRP than almost every C2S build sheet I've seen posted on this board.
So it is just preference on their part. Also, my GTS w/o PCCB cost less than most C2S I've seen on this board and on the dealer's lot. The ideal way of thinking is that, I you prefer performance then you will get the PCCB but let go of those creature comfort. Assuming of course that if you think that PCCB cost is justifiable.

The good thing and the main thing is that we have those options that we want to have in our car. Nobody can dictate what options you should put in you car.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:47 PM
sezme
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think my biggest reason for ordering PCCB's aside from brake dust (lol) was to own the best technology Porsche was offering. I love mine. I like the way they stop, and love the way they look...
Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2015, 11:32 AM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
I see a lot of folks specing PCCB, but it wasn't something I really even considered when I ordered my GTS. Did I miss something? I can maybe see the point on a GT3 or RS, but for a primarily street vehicle, why are people buying these brakes? The cost and cost to replace has to go beyond having yellow calipers, but I don't "get it" given overall braking performance is apparently pretty comparable. Is the weight difference meaningful? Thanks for any knowledge.
For me no rusting rotors after detailing my car, only to come off and redust the wheels on the first drive. No brake dust, and for the looks and stopping power. Plus no squealing! Less weight and rotational mass!

Quick Reply: School me on why peeps buy ceramic brakes