Sponsored by:

School me on why peeps buy ceramic brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 09:32 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by CliffJumper RS
Hey, I tried to find out more about this comment, since I always find WR's opinion interesting, but I only found one place saying that WR ALWAYS spec'd CCBs. Do you remember where you saw WR saying the opposite?
That was his input when I drove with him in Sweden this February. I asked how he'd spec a GT4 as I was ordering one and he'd recently been driving them. He said he'd skip the radio, skip the AC but get the iron brakes.

I debated, but I couldn't go without AC... One day I'm convinced it'd be worth more if I had, but I live in CA and need to live with it now...

BTW, love your car
Thank you! It's got PCCBs, ironically enough- the unsprung to sprung weight ratio would get pretty rough on that car without them.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:35 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,718 Likes on 5,120 Posts

Hey, I tried to find out more about this comment, since I always find WR's opinion interesting, but I only found one place saying that WR ALWAYS spec'd CCBs. Do you remember where you saw WR saying the opposite?

BTW, love your car
Good find.

Just something to note.

The Rennteam link is from 2008, and apparently even back then with the Gen 2 PCCBs, Walter was of the opinion that PCCBs were to his liking.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:57 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The Rennteam link is from 2008, and apparently even back then with the Gen 2 PCCBs, Walter was of the opinion that PCCBs were to his liking.
Lol. He was referencing his 996 GT3, so gen 1 PCCBs. We know how those held up in the long run with track use, but then Walter doesn't track his company car...

Apparently he had a change of heart in the intervening 7 years.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:57 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 886 Posts

Or he feels that the GT4's performance envelope isn't constrained by the iron brakes, while a GT3 might be.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:22 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pyramid
I dont notice wet braking problem on gen3 CCB for street use. I would get the 4s if wet weather traction become a concern.
4s. But you'd be stuck with real torque steer issues as a result.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:49 AM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Walter was likely also considering the value proposition of the GT4. At it's proposed price point it is an insanely good value to performance ratio. Adding $10k PCCB brakes possibly did not yield a commensurate 10% increase in performance versus the approximate 10% increase in vehicle price. Life is about context, and his remarks to you don't provide any.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:38 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I drove two otherwise identical cars back to back on a track, one with PCCBs and one without. I'm no WR but the difference in feel was marked - whole car felt lighter on its feet with the ceramics.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:08 PM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had PCCBs on my 996TT and I noticed that the steering feel was also much improved over my C4S with the steel turbo brakes. I'm not sure whether this benefit would be apparent in the electric rack though!
Old 09-06-2015, 12:36 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ibmiked
Walter was likely also considering the value proposition of the GT4. At it's proposed price point it is an insanely good value to performance ratio. Adding $10k PCCB brakes possibly did not yield a commensurate 10% increase in performance versus the approximate 10% increase in vehicle price.
I'm sure there's a lot to that, though remember the GT4's PCCB upgrade is both cheaper ($7400) and bigger (410mm) than those on more expensive cars like the 911.

PCCB technology is great. I disagree with the way Porsche tunes the pedal feel, but there is no arguing with 30+ lbs anywhere, let alone unsprung. There is just one significant issue with it: price. It comes standard on the Z28 and ZR1, with disks also made by SGL carbon, Porsche's supplier. A replacement disk set for those cars is $5k. On a 911 it's an $8.5k option, over 20k to replace the disks, and even pads cost more if you track.

Trying to justify this cost based on performance is questionable for most. My friends who compete nationally in SCCA always spec them: it's 30 lbs worth of performance you can't get any other way per the rules. For the rest of us, however, the option is nearing the cost difference between a Carrera GTS PDK and GT3. It's no where close to the commensurate performance bump.

The next argument is feel. PCCBs turn in better and ride the bumps better. I have no doubt some feel something. Yet ask yourself- when your car gets its brake rotors changed, or it gets new tires- can you feel the difference in weight?

I ask because an iron rotor at the wear limit has lost nearly 2.5 lbs, while worn pads are also a pound lighter. Meanwhile shaving or wearing off just 1/8" of rubber from the tire is worth 4 lbs. In total this worn setup saves an identical amount of weight to PCCBs, but because much of the weight is at the edge of the tire the moment of inertial is actually 40% lower. So that amazing ride over bumps and turn-in of PCCBs? You'll feel all of that and more.

If you feel your car lost its cat-like reflexes last time you did a brake job or put on new tires, you're a good candidate for PCCBs based on feel.

PCCBs do have an advantage in fade resistance. Even the massive 380mm enduro spec irons of the GT3 can be faded in the right conditions. Unfortunately these are the same conditions where PCCBs are hot enough to oxidize, and hence eat themselves rapidly. See the $20 replacement bill above.

Which leaves preferring the lower pedal effort (or not)... and brake dust. PCCBs are not without other downsides- they cut front downforce by nearly 40% on a GT4 for example- but they are not central to the question.

Last edited by Petevb; 09-06-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:47 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Default School me on why peeps buy ceramic brakes

Originally Posted by Petevb
I'm sure there's a lot to that, though remember the GT4's PCCB upgrade is both cheaper ($7400) and bigger (410mm) than those on more expensive cars like the 911.

PCCB technology is great. I disagree with the way Porsche tunes the pedal feel, but there is no arguing with 30+ lbs anywhere, let alone unsprung. There is just one significant issue with it: price. It comes standard on the Z28 and ZR1, with disks also made by SGL carbon, Porsche's supplier. A replacement disk set for those cars is $5k. On a 911 it's an $8.5k option, over 20k to replace the disks, and even pads cost more if you track.

Trying to justify this cost based on performance is questionable for most. My friends who compete nationally in SCCA always spec them: it's 30 lbs worth of performance you can't get any other way per the rules. For the rest of us, however, it's roughly half of the cost difference between a Carrera GTS PDK and GT3. It's no where close to the commensurate performance bump.

The next argument is feel. PCCBs turn in better and ride the bumps better. I have no doubt some feel something. Yet ask yourself- when your car gets its brake rotors changed, or it gets new tires- can you feel the difference in weight?

I ask because and iron rotor at the wear limit has lost nearly 2.5 lbs, while worn pads are also a pound lighter. Meanwhile shaving or wearing off just 1/8" of rubber from the tire is worth 4 lbs. In total this worn setup saves an identical amount of weight to PCCBs, but because much of the weight is at the edge of the tire the moment of inertial is actually 40% lower. So that amazing ride over bumps and turn-in of PCCBs? You'll feel all of that and more.

If you feel your car lost its cat-like reflexes last time you did a brake job or put on new tires, you're a good candidate for PCCBs.

PCCBs do have an advantage in fade resistance. Even the massive 380mm enduro spec irons of the GT3 can be faded in the right conditions. Unfortunately these are the same conditions where PCCBs are hot enough to oxidize, and hence eat themselves rapidly. See the $20 replacement bill above.

Which leaves preferring the lower pedal effort (or not)... and brake dust. PCCBs are not without other downsides- they cut front downforce by nearly 40% on a GT4 for example- but they are not central to the question.
Explained very well here

Look at the benefit of lighter wheels as well.

The issue as mentioned, is the "Porsche tax". What they charge just to swap out the iron S, GTS, rotors, calipers, and pads is ridiculous. You've already paid for those and they're keeping them.

The profit margin on this upgrade is ridiculous. Have if be in line with the Vette as mentioned, you'd see a lot more.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:14 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree wholeheartedly with your summarization. The reason I love Porsche is because if you want to chase pounds and tenths there is always something on the option list to do so. It may not make the most financial sense, but neither does buying a 911 unless you're in that 1% of owners that daily drive AND track the car. The rest of us do not need the capability this car offers for legal street use only. We buy these cars for what they're capable of, not necessarily how they'll be used.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:31 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

The cost argument always cracks me up, given the fact that over half the people who buy a Porsche spend thousands on things like full leather interiors, deviated stitching and other blingy stuff. Seriously, PCCB brakes are a frivolous spend, but a leather coated dash makes sense?
Old 09-06-2015, 03:35 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,718 Likes on 5,120 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
The cost argument always cracks me up, given the fact that over half the people who buy a Porsche spend thousands on things like full leather interiors, deviated stitching and other blingy stuff. Seriously, PCCB brakes are a frivolous spend, but a leather coated dash makes sense?
Buying a Porsche, any Porsche, and deciding what options to get, or not get, is all about want. Nothing about this car is about need.

No one needs a Porsche.

We buy a Porsche to satisfy our most basic automotive primal urges.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:45 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Buying a Porsche, any Porsche, and deciding what options to get, or not get, is all about want. Nothing about this car is about need.

No one needs a Porsche.

We buy a Porsche to satisfy our most basic automotive primal urges.
I agree, which is why the cost argument is irrelevant to the discussion of why someone would or would not spec PCCB brakes.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:48 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I agree, which is why the cost argument is irrelevant to the discussion of why someone would or would not spec PCCB brakes.
Do you really believe that? I don't think you do. If PCCB cost 20k, would you spec them? 50k? 100?

Porsche uses a "value based" pricing model. They don't price based on what something costs, but rather based on how badly customers want it. Hence our desire for something and it's price are enexorably linked.

This is just one reason it's essentially impossible to have a rational discussion on the subject without price entering the equation.

Buying decisions, on the other hand, tend to be emotional first. We decide to buy something, then justify it rationally after the fact. Sometimes our logic can get quite contorted in the process...

Quick Reply: School me on why peeps buy ceramic brakes